Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: Rookie Hazing

  1. #1

    Rookie Hazing

    With what's going on in Miami do the repercussions possibly carry over into other sports like major league baseball? Most of the hazing seems fairly harmless. I do wonder if teams sometimes cross the line between fun and humiliating with some of the outfits rookies have to wear.

  2. #2
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,987
    Like
    103
    Liked 386 Times in 201 Posts
    It shouldn't. The Miami instance is plain old harassment and racism, it goes above and beyond any rookie "hazing"

  3. #3
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Hazing is a stupid relic of a time gone by. Why can't adults just be adults in the work place? I'd love to see it gone, frankly.
    Lighten up Francis....

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Hazing is a stupid relic of a time gone by. Why can't adults just be adults in the work place? I'd love to see it gone, frankly.
    The Twins and baseball in general do Rookie "initiation" the right way IMO. Baseball isn't a sport completely filled with testoterone loaded egotistical meat-heads. The Twins have the rookies do a dress up day in a costume, completely harmless. They also have the rookie bullpen guy carry a lady-like or child-like back pack to the bullpen. These are in no way, shape or form considered bullying or hazing. They are helping the young player learn about humility and welcoming him onto the team. I personally think it's awesome and would love to make 300k+ and dress up for one day in a costume and carry a "Pretty Little Pony" backpack out to Glen Perkins.

    Obviously, these are the only things we see or hear about, but I can say quite confidently that a baseball locker room and a football locker room are quite different atmospheres. Can anyone imagine Brad Radke slandering Torii Hunter when he came up to the Twins? I can't. Blasphemy.

  5. #5
    From carrying a "My Little Pony" backpack to the bullpen to stealing clothes at the end of a roadtrip. May be cute fun and all, but like the pies in the face and dumping the gatorade cooler, it isn't really necessary in a profession where people are so-called professionals. There is a fine line these days between hazing, bullying and jokesters (pranksters).
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

  6. #6
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    In virtually no other business do new employees have to do that stuff. I guess I don't understand why they need to in sports. It isn't about having fun, because it is only imposed on rookies.

    What Incognito did is inexcusable, but I find the argument about building humility and all that stuff to be silliness. Others will disagree. But we don't do that to our new employees, not at any of the companies I have worked for.
    Lighten up Francis....

  7. #7
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,839
    Like
    177
    Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
    As long as we all agree to stop calling it "bullying" and call it what it actually is (harassment) - I'm fine with that. I'm so sick of that term being watered down and misused.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Posts
    487
    Like
    15
    Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    What happened in Miami isn't really "hazing" in the traditional sense. Like Levi says right above, it's harassment. Harassment has no part in any league.

    "Hazing", to a certain extent, does. I have absolutely no problem with it, so long as it doesn't devolve into harassment.

    Such hazing occurs in many work environments actually. Even on the Supreme Court, it is the most newly appointed member's job to bring the other Justices coffee and make sure certain items are in order. This is not uncommon in many offices. In this way, hazing helps acclimate individuals into a new environment and builds a sense of identity. It often causes no harm at all.

    Sometimes certain individuals take hazing too far and it becomes harassment- this is despicable. I have no problem with hazing so long as it is not used as a sort of "front" for harassment. It often does not. When it does, it is absolutely despicable. It is incumbent upon certain sources of authority in any work environment to monitor such behavior (in the case of the Dolphins, coaches clearly fell short in not listening to Martin).

    In sum-- hazing is not inherently evil. To condemn it as such is shallow. Harassment, on the other hand, is always wrong.
    Bring a song and a smile for the banjo,
    Better get while the gettin's good
    Catch a ride to the end of the highway
    Where the neons turn to wood

  9. #9
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,678
    Like
    2,653
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    As long as we all agree to stop calling it "bullying"
    Really? Between the transcript of that phone message, and the allegations of huge sums of money being demanded, this sounds like someone's lunch money being taken on the playground, on a grownup scale. Bullying seems like the right word to me.

    Harassment is when you can't get the other guy to stop. Bullying is when you find you have practically no choice but to say yes, or fight.

    Persistence, versus intimidation.
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 11-05-2013 at 12:35 PM.

  10. #10
    Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    3,644
    Like
    931
    Liked 1,285 Times in 688 Posts
    There are always idiots like Incognito who take things too far. For the most part hazing is an innocent tradition that is really not much more than a fraternal club initiation, a right of passage.

    Are they silly? Sure they are, but they exist in a workplace inhabited by a select, elite group of individuals who are never really asked to "grow up". They do, after all, play children's games for a living.

  11. #11
    Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Posts
    1,954
    Like
    257
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    Even non-violent forms of hazing can have a traumatic effect on the victim (that's kind of the point). Cut it out.

  12. #12
    Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Posts
    1,086
    Like
    10
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    There are always idiots like Incognito who take things too far. For the most part hazing is an innocent tradition that is really not much more than a fraternal club initiation, a right of passage.

    Are they silly? Sure they are, but they exist in a workplace inhabited by a select, elite group of individuals who are never really asked to "grow up". They do, after all, play children's games for a living.
    I have to disagree with you. They do play a children's game for a living, but they are asked to grow up in many important ways that have nothing to do with sports. They're adults and should be expected to act as such, on the field/court or off. I'm not going to cut sports players slack for acting like meatheads just because they play sports.

  13. #13
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,606
    Like
    68
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    I think hazing takes place amonst the immature and socially awkward (hmm, so often in a mostly male environment...) because they don't have the social skills to develop a civil and working heirchy.

    It should be obvious, the players who perform the best, and those with seniority generally should be leading among the rank and file employees. With athletes, there will always the idea in the back of everyone's mind that some Alpha-type youngster is going to think he runs the show because now he's rich and famous.

    It's stupid and I don't like it, but it's probably hard to cure as long as the game is played by young (immature) men who get paid to have fun all day. Get some women involved and it might taper off. Unless the women are attractive of course, then it probably gets worse.

  14. #14
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,839
    Like
    177
    Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Harassment is when you can't get the other guy to stop. Bullying is when you find you have practically no choice but to say yes, or fight.
    I fail to see the difference. In fact, the definition of harassment is systematic or continued actions that bother another person.

    Though, in fairness, we've stretched the definition of bullying so far recently that virtually any form of negative interaction counts under it. This is harassment by definition. It's being called bullying to strike emotional chords. Yet another toxic angle to the "bullying" fad.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I think hazing takes place amonst the immature and socially awkward (hmm, so often in a mostly male environment...) because they don't have the social skills to develop a civil and working heirchy.

    It should be obvious, the players who perform the best, and those with seniority generally should be leading among the rank and file employees. With athletes, there will always the idea in the back of everyone's mind that some Alpha-type youngster is going to think he runs the show because now he's rich and famous.

    It's stupid and I don't like it, but it's probably hard to cure as long as the game is played by young (immature) men who get paid to have fun all day. Get some women involved and it might taper off. Unless the women are attractive of course, then it probably gets worse.
    Just wondering why you think women are some how any less likely to commit acts of hazing than men?

  16. #16
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,678
    Like
    2,653
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I fail to see the difference. In fact, the definition of harassment is systematic or continued actions that bother another person.
    Like I said, intimidation. It's what brings it beyond harassment.

    What would compel a 300 pound tackle to hand over thousands of dollars to a similarly-sized teammate? Certainly not because it's continued or systematic; junk calls come to my phone daily and I don't give anyone money, I just hang up. It's because Richie Incognito located a weakness. I don't think we know enough yet to guess what that weakness was, although the voice mail transcript gives several possible leads.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Though, in fairness, we've stretched the definition of bullying so far recently
    No, that is neither fair, nor correct. I use the term bullying not for emotional purposes but to describe something that went beyond either hazing or harassment.

  17. #17
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,678
    Like
    2,653
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Pius Jefferson View Post
    Just wondering why you think women are some how any less likely to commit acts of hazing than men?
    As someone who raised a girl and lived through the teen years and listened to the stories, I too challenge the notion.

  18. #18
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,839
    Like
    177
    Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Like I said, intimidation. It's what brings it beyond harassment.
    You're coming off antagonistic for someone that doesn't appear to have taken a look at the definitions. Here's what pops up immediately on a google search for "harassment":

    aggressive pressure or intimidation.

    Here is the legal definition. It also includes "threats" (i.e. - intimidation). The entire problem with your premise is seen in the last part of your post. You say bullying is meant to show something that goes "beyond" harassment.

    Yet harassment has been law for decades. We have (almost by definition) "stretched" bullying to the point that it goes beyond harassment and that is the entire problem. We took a non-criminal act and, purely through emotion and rhetoric, given it some faux status as loftier than a criminal act. Historically, harassment was the top of the mountain and we've somehow (and you are evidence of this) put "bullying" ahead of it. That's a baffling stretch - which is exactly what I was saying.

    We don't know why Martin endured the harrassment as long as he did, but we know in sports there are strongly enforced unwritten rules and "respect veterans" is among the most universal and entrenched. I don't think we need to look much farther than that.

    The racial component puts this firmly in the camp of harassment. It may even be criminal.
    Last edited by TheLeviathan; 11-05-2013 at 05:59 PM.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Triple-A goulik's Avatar
    Posts
    298
    Like
    44
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    I was part of a fraternity and we had traditional initiations that some could call hazing but by no means went to far and participants chose to go through. We could say no and not join. I remember the things I was required to do fondly and it was fun going through pledge week. Great memories really.
    On one hand what the Twins do I think is funny and harmless but on the other hand it is Tied to a work place and being required as part of a work environment which seems different to me.
    Having said all of this I am confused as to where a line could be drawn as I am sure most veterans look back on their rookie initiations fondly...

  20. #20
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,606
    Like
    68
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pius Jefferson View Post
    Just wondering why you think women are some how any less likely to commit acts of hazing than men?
    Because I think men would be much more reluctant to include the hazing of women or in front of women, particularly the professional type who may disapprove of the actions.

    Quote Originally Posted by B Richard View Post
    I'll ignore the blatantly sexist content of your post in favor of the sections I've bolded.

    First, I'd like to point out that hazing occurs in investment banks and law firms as much as it does in baseball. First year analysts are frequently expected to perform menial tasks and run errands that the older employees are "too good" for. The new guys pick up the tab at dinner. Pranks are not uncommon in the slightest. I speak from personal experience- I have been through the process and did not find it to be personally harmful or mentally damaging. It's part of the process. Hazing (as I defined in my previous post) is not necessarily evil, nor is it employed exclusively by hooligans.

    Regarding your bolded claim near the bottom-- don't be ridiculous. Would we all love to play baseball? Hell yes. Is it easy? Absolutely not. The work that these guys have to put in as players is ridiculous. Please do not minimize the importance of their achievements and efforts by making ridiculous assertions that players "get paid to have fun all day."
    I apologize to all the males I offend when I suggested that young men devoid of the influence of the fairer sex too often behave inappropriately due to a lack of maturity. It was an outrageous claim. I further apologize that I suggested the same men also behave poorly to impress attractive women.

    I agree that there are parallels to the male athletic world and the atmosphere in investment banking and law firms. In fact I almost made the same comparison to the 1980's Wall Street culture. Not coincidentally, those are also male dominated fields. Martin Scorsese is about to come out with a new film, The Wolf of Wall Street. Check it you if you want to see power hungry men behaving badly toward each other.

    I'm not sure why you think baseball isn't fun for these guys. Most people work hard, these guys work hard playing a game. If it wasn't fun, these guys would retire after making their first ten million and call it a career.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.