Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Minnesota Twins Top 50 Prospects: 1-5

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    Injury risk alone takes Meyer off any legit consideration for the #2 prospect spot.

Buxton would really have to dominate to get called up mid-year. New Britain isn't the easiest place to hit, especially early in the season, and even someone with Buxton's ability may need a bit of time to adjust to superior pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    2015 can't come fast enough:

Buxton CF
    Rosario LF/2B
    Mauer DH/C/1B
    Sano 3B
    Arcia 1B/RF
    Dozier 2B/OF
    Pinto C/DH
    Santana SS
    Hicks RF/LF

man....

While I love the enthusiasm, I can't tell you how many projected lineups and rotations I've seen over the years that seemed like they were a year or two away, only to end up with with a lineup or rotation with only 2-4 of those guys actually in it. That's also an incredibly young lineup.

Seth - I'm blown away that you think Buxton will be up with the Twins by July. I totally did not expect that. That makes me super excited. I thought that he wouldn't be with the team until September at the earliest. Wow.

So, we may eventually have a second base problem to deal with. We have Dozier, Polanco, and Rosario. Obviously, all three are solid but Dozier is the only KNOWN commodity. Do we try and flip Dozier for a starting pitcher this offseason? I hate to do it but I worry he will only regress from here and we need to strike a trade while we can knowing we have reinforcements on the horizon at second base.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 332 Times in 210 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The last Twins "phenom" Joe Mauer made it to the big leagues after 2 full seasons in the minors. However, he was advanced a bit slower than Buxton so far -- Mauer spent his whole first season in low-A, then split his second full season between A+ and AA. Buxton was also 4 months older than Mauer when drafted. Additionally, Mauer was somewhat "blocked" at the MLB level by Pierzynski, and the Twins were contenders so breaking him in during a pennant race was probably less than ideal.

So, expecting Buxton in MLB sometime next season seems pretty reasonable. Unlike Seth, though, I think I would be shocked if he was up BEFORE July -- remember, this guy still hasn't played above high-A, he's starting in a pitcher's league, and there's that Super-2 cutoff date to think about (not that I think it makes a big deal, but when the guy is a potential superstar and he's beginning the season in AA, it doesn't hurt to wait).

So I say, July at the earliest.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    Where is Meyer going to start and realistically how early could he get to the Twins? I will for sure be making multiple trips to Minnesota if Buxton, Sano and Meyer are there. I'm excited for Rosario and Stewart as well.
    I don't know where he'll start. He could get a month in New Britain... either way, I think he's up by July.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Don't Feed the Greed Guy View Post
    No love for Edgar Ibarra in the top 50, Seth? Ibarra was just added to the 40-Man Roster, he pitched in the Eastern League All Star Game, and finished 2013 with an ERA under 2, while splitting time between New Britain and Rochester, and he's a lefty who has been effective against hitters from both sides of the plate. Edgar Ibarra 2013 Minor League Gamelogs & Splits - Baseball-Reference.com
    He had a very good year, no question. He could be anywhere from 45-55 on such a list.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Seth, I think you under estimate what May can end up being. That said, while I like Meyer, May, and Gibson, counting on all 3 is not smart.... I do hope Ryan recognizes this.
    I am intrigued by what May can become... IF he can drop his walk rate by 1.0, he could be a #2/3 starter. If he can just be a little bit more consistent, I think he can be a #4/5. Even right now, I think that he can be a very good reliever. It'll just be interesting to see what happens over the next year. Regardless, I would bring him up as a starter and give him that opportunity.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Smcginnity View Post
    Seth - I'm blown away that you think Buxton will be up with the Twins by July. I totally did not expect that. That makes me super excited. I thought that he wouldn't be with the team until September at the earliest. Wow.

So, we may eventually have a second base problem to deal with. We have Dozier, Polanco, and Rosario. Obviously, all three are solid but Dozier is the only KNOWN commodity. Do we try and flip Dozier for a starting pitcher this offseason? I hate to do it but I worry he will only regress from here and we need to strike a trade while we can knowing we have reinforcements on the horizon at second base.
    Regarding Buxton - Maybe "shocked" is a little bit strong. After seeing Buxton early in the year, nothing would surprise me with him. He's as good as I've ever seen, and the Twins have shown in the past they're not afraid to bring up elite talent early. Mauer, Arcia, they certainly fit into that category.

Regarding 2B - as you point out, Dozier is the known commodity, and yet at the same time, he'll have to prove it again next year. I saw enough to believe that he can be a .750-800 OPS guy with power. We don't know about Rosario or Polanco yet. I wouldn't deal Dozier. I'd rather move Rosario back to LF instead, and that's if both of them prove to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by orangevening View Post
    Line up is bot going to matter unless we get some pitching. If Meyer/May/Gibson don't turn out...
    That is my concern too. I don't have much faith in either May or Gibson to be more than back of the rotation guys (Diamond, Correia types). I am counting on Meyer to be an Ace in 2015 or 6. Pitching seems to be coming--but it is low As--I call it the cavalry--guys like Stewart, Gonsalves, Berrrios, and older guys like Duffey and Rogers and Lee and the others (potentially). This wave may come in 2016 but more likely 2017.

I would trade Dozier (who should bring in more than Doumit or the hammer) this off-season to try to get pitching to bridge the gap until the cavalry gets here and give Rosario a shot.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    But see, I am not so certain that Buxton's long-term is in the lead-off spot. Like Mike Trout, he could start out leading off, but he's a natural #3 hitter (if you believe that a team's best overall hitter should be #3). Ideally Hicks gets back to being great at getting on base, I'd like to see this:

Hicks RF
    Mauer 1B
    Buxton CF
    Sano 3B
    Arcia DH
    Pinto C
    Rosario LF
    Dozier 2B
    Florimon/Santana SS
    This is closer to what I expect than the others. Arcia should be a full time DH, no doubt in my mind. He doesn't have any fielding ability and we need a DH anyway. I don't think Buxton should bat leadoff because you're wasting his power. Mike Trout batted 2nd for most of this season and I think that is a perfect spot for Buxton because you have Mauer protecting him and not clogging the bases. I would just flip Mauer and Buxton.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 72 Times in 49 Posts
    Granted I haven't seen Buxton in person but I just don't see him being with the big club in July. I think the Twins will give him a cup of coffee as a September call up next year and based on that performance he we will either make the team out of Spring training or by July 2015. He is so young and we need to make sure we get the best out of him before LA or NY snap him up after his arb years. We shouldn't waste his talent or MLB service time with the 2014 team. Just my two cents.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    If the Twins don't call him up in July or early August, there is no reason to call him up in September because he doesn't have to be added to the 40 man roster for another offseason or two. No need to take up a 40 man spot at that point for someone who doesn't need to be added. He may not be up in July, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is. If they're not in contention (and they won't be), I don't disagree with the sentiment of leaving him down until 2015. And then it's the Sano/Hicks question. Do you bring him up Opening Day, or wait until mid-May? So yeah, I think he'll either be up in mid-July 2014 (after All Star break) or he'll be up in early May of 2015.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

No more catchers in the outfield?

But see, I am not so certain that Buxton's long-term is in the lead-off spot. Like Mike Trout, he could start out leading off, but he's a natural #3 hitter (if you believe that a team's best overall hitter should be #3). Ideally Hicks gets back to being great at getting on base, I'd like to see this:

Hicks RF
    Mauer 1B
    Buxton CF
    Sano 3B
    Arcia DH
    Pinto C
    Rosario LF
    Dozier 2B
    Florimon/Santana SS

Think about that. If you've got an 8 hitter who is playing great middle infield defense and hitting 20 HR a base while getting on base, that's a lineup that now is terrific 1-8. Florimon's lack of offense in the 9-hole suddenly isn't a big deal because you're solid the rest of the way.

As has been mentioned though, pitching is going to be a big thing too. Meyer 'can' be a 1/2, Gibson 'can' be a solid 3. May 'may' be a solid 4. Couple in a free agent that can be classified as a 2. You're looking pretty good in not too long.
    That would be a very good defensive team also. Athletic outfield with good arms, Mauer would be good at 1b if they leave him there. Dozier Floriman solid. Sano Pinto?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hicks RF
    Mauer 1B
    Buxton CF
    Sano 3B
    Arcia DH
    Pinto C
    Rosario LF
    Dozier 2B
    Florimon/Santana SS

Think about that. If you've got an 8 hitter who is playing great middle infield defense and hitting 20 HR a base while getting on base, that's a lineup that now is terrific 1-8. Florimon's lack of offense in the 9-hole suddenly isn't a big deal because you're solid the rest of the way.

As has been mentioned though, pitching is going to be a big thing too. Meyer 'can' be a 1/2, Gibson 'can' be a solid 3. May 'may' be a solid 4. Couple in a free agent that can be classified as a 2. You're looking pretty good in not too long.

I agree that Buxton has the ability to be a 3-hole guy. But Mauer is used best in the 3-hole, IMO. And Eddie can really hit. Why plug up the base-paths with an aging Mauer at #2 and the speeding bullet (Buxton) hitting 3rd? I would rather provide RBI opportunities for Mauer. Maybe HIcks would work in the 2-hole and Rosario could then hit 6-7th?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We do agree on Sano and Arcia's spot in the order.

Seth, just caught the "almost moved Meyer to #2" (finally got time to properly read the article than just skim it). That's the most provocative thing you said in the whole series. I'm just wondering why? I thought The top 3 were certain locks in their position. Meyer has been too injured and inconsistent to be even be considered over Sano, atleast in my thinking. Is it ceiling? Or quality pitching over batting?

I know it's a bit sketchy to mess with a guy who just had a breakthrough season, but given our second base depth, is it impossible to think that Dozier could get another chance at short? I know it's unlikely, but does anyone think it's possible?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 72 Times in 49 Posts
    If the Twins don't call him up in July or early August, there is no reason to call him up in September because he doesn't have to be added to the 40 man roster for another offseason or two. No need to take up a 40 man spot at that point for someone who doesn't need to be added. He may not be up in July, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is. If they're not in contention (and they won't be), I don't disagree with the sentiment of leaving him down until 2015. And then it's the Sano/Hicks question. Do you bring him up Opening Day, or wait until mid-May? So yeah, I think he'll either be up in mid-July 2014 (after All Star break) or he'll be up in early May of 2015.
    Good point on the 40 man spot. I wasn't thinking clearly there. You are right it is either July 2014 or 2015 depending on how things play out. I certainly agree with you that he is good enough to play in 2014 but I think a bit more seasoning and spreading out Sano\Hick\Rosario\Buxton as much as we can needs to be thought about as well. I realize if they all as good as we think they will be we won;t be able to hang onto all of them forever but I definitely want them to be truly ready before we bring them up and start using their MLB service time.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 820 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene Larkin Fan Club View Post
    I know it's a bit sketchy to mess with a guy who just had a breakthrough season, but given our second base depth, is it impossible to think that Dozier could get another chance at short? I know it's unlikely, but does anyone think it's possible?
    I'm with you here, but we are in a minority. If the bat is for real, I'd move Dozier to short before I moved Rosario to the OF. That's my 2 cents at least.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast