Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Minnesota Twins Top 50 Prospects: 1-5

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Minnesota Twins Top 50 Prospects: 1-5

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No surprises, but I guess I didn't know Meyer was that great. These are all pretty much top 50 players.

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's a top five to get excited about! Wow!

Blog Entries
    I almost feel, in some ways, like the top five is pretty anti-climatic. People kind of know who the top five are already.

At the same time, these are five really exciting guys to talk about!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 52 Times in 39 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Completely shocked if [Buxton] is not in the big leagues by July?!

I like it.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 52 Times in 39 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I actually am OK with not being anti-climatic - if you have that many good sets of eyes in agreement on these guys - it's probably a highly likely probability it will/is going to happen.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Meyer being injured early on really kept him under the radar, the Arizona fall league has been a blessing for his stock.

Rosario is going to be so much better than people are realizing IMO. He is a perfect #2 hitter who could be a #3 even. I wish a Dozier/Perkins trade for Uggla/Alex Wood could happen. It would set up the team beautifully.

Buxton, Rossario, Arcia, Sano set up as such a perfect 1-4 Then having Alex Wood & Meyer anchoring the rotation.

Blog Entries
    Why would the Twins want Uggla??

I think Rosario is more of a #6-7 hitter because of his over-aggressiveness. Maybe putting him at #2 might help him become a little more patient, which could, in theory, make him more valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor0333 View Post
    Buxton, Rossario, Arcia, Sano set up as such a perfect 1-4 Then having Alex Wood & Meyer anchoring the rotation.
    I agree with Seth, especially since you are swapping Rosario for Mauer. Buxton, Mauer, Arcia, Sano. Now that is a top four to get excited about!

Not so anti-climactic

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I almost feel, in some ways, like the top five is pretty anti-climatic. People kind of know who the top five are already.

At the same time, these are five really exciting guys to talk about!
    Pretty hard to say its anything but dang exciting when reading about these players. Sure hope these guys have great success, and also have great fun together. It should be fun to follow.

I might fly back to MN from DC next August if I can catch a game that Alex Meyer starts featuring Buxton, Mauer, Arcia and Sano in the lineup...

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think Rosario is more of a #6-7 hitter because of his over-aggressiveness. Maybe putting him at #2 might help him become a little more patient, which could, in theory, make him more valuable.
    I don't think they would want Uggla. Given they have plenty of payroll available that will definitely not all be used in the next 2 years. I see it as a way of adding value to the package by eating the contract rather than adding talent. Enabling the team to get another young MLB ready top of the rotation starter in Wood.

Maybe I am over valuing how good Wood is?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 327 Times in 217 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Buxton will likely start 2013 in New Britain. I will be completely shocked if he is not in the big leagues by mid-July.
    Glad to see more and more of us are on the same page about Buxton. The national guys billboarded him this spring and set the hype-table, but it was Byron Buxton himself who proved even better than all the glowing accolades and forced the issue for the rest of the doubters, and finally made it easy for the Twins to keep him on the fast-track- and then, to their credit, they hit the gas pedal some more by sending him to the AFL. I saw him in CR and he didn't even do much that weekend and it was still obvious how special he was- but caused me concern that because of the poor major league team, they might hold Buxton back even longer until better players could be established to play alongside him. A 2014 July call-up, along with Sano, will be the beginning of the end of our long national nightmare.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2015 can't come fast enough:

Buxton CF
    Rosario LF/2B
    Mauer DH/C/1B
    Sano 3B
    Arcia 1B/RF
    Dozier 2B/OF
    Pinto C/DH
    Santana SS
    Hicks RF/LF

man....

Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    2015 can't come fast enough:

Buxton CF
    Rosario LF/2B
    Mauer DH/C/1B
    Sano 3B
    Arcia 1B/RF
    Dozier 2B/OF
    Pinto C/DH
    Santana SS
    Hicks RF/LF

man....
    When did Dozier become option for OF? Arcia for 1st?

Line up is bot going to matter unless we get some pitching. If Meyer/May/Gibson don't turn out...

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Agreed. Rosario would work in the 2-spot because Mauer would be in the 3-hole. Eddie would get lots of fastballs in the zone hitting ahead of Mauer. Then, Sano should be #4 and Arcia #5.

Buxton is the future 1-hole, and everyone else could fill in the 6-9 spots. NOt a bad top-5 if everyone pans out.

Blog Entries
    But see, I am not so certain that Buxton's long-term is in the lead-off spot. Like Mike Trout, he could start out leading off, but he's a natural #3 hitter (if you believe that a team's best overall hitter should be #3). Ideally Hicks gets back to being great at getting on base, I'd like to see this:

Hicks RF
    Mauer 1B
    Buxton CF
    Sano 3B
    Arcia DH
    Pinto C
    Rosario LF
    Dozier 2B
    Florimon/Santana SS

Think about that. If you've got an 8 hitter who is playing great middle infield defense and hitting 20 HR a base while getting on base, that's a lineup that now is terrific 1-8. Florimon's lack of offense in the 9-hole suddenly isn't a big deal because you're solid the rest of the way.

As has been mentioned though, pitching is going to be a big thing too. Meyer 'can' be a 1/2, Gibson 'can' be a solid 3. May 'may' be a solid 4. Couple in a free agent that can be classified as a 2. You're looking pretty good in not too long.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
    Where is Meyer going to start and realistically how early could he get to the Twins? I will for sure be making multiple trips to Minnesota if Buxton, Sano and Meyer are there. I'm excited for Rosario and Stewart as well.

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 202 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No love for Edgar Ibarra in the top 50, Seth? Ibarra was just added to the 40-Man Roster, he pitched in the Eastern League All Star Game, and finished 2013 with an ERA under 2, while splitting time between New Britain and Rochester, and he's a lefty who has been effective against hitters from both sides of the plate. Edgar Ibarra 2013 Minor League Gamelogs & Splits - Baseball-Reference.com

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 304 Times in 180 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seth, I think you under estimate what May can end up being. That said, while I like Meyer, May, and Gibson, counting on all 3 is not smart.... I do hope Ryan recognizes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast