Thread: Olney: Potential SP Bargains

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries

Olney: Potential SP Bargains

Here's a link to an article (Insider) by Buster Olney regarding potential FA SP bargains:

10 potential bargain starting arms - ESPN

For those without Insider privileges, here's the 10 he lists:
    Arroyo, Hudson, Burnett, Colon, Feldman, Kazmir, Haren, Hughes and J. Johnson.

I think it's reasonable to think this is the sort of list Terry Ryan is shopping from. I don't see him going after the very top of the list (E.Santana, Jimenez, Garza and Tanaka). I could very well see him picking up a couple from this list. I'd prefer any of the last four and wouldn't mind Arroyo.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Agreed that this is the tier Ryan will most likely pursue, and that's OK. I also would guess that very few of these pitchers will be referred to as "bargains" when they end up signing but that's the nature of the market this year.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,249 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    I also would guess that very few of these pitchers will be referred to as "bargains" when they end up signing but that's the nature of the market this year.
    Agreed as well. With probably 20 teams bidding on 10 players, nobody is going to scoop up an unrecognized gem.

That doesn't mean to sit back and take the leftover, if any. Get in on the bidding and come home with a shiny new prize.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like the names there as well.

In a similar piece, KLaw put out the following designations on SPs:
    Best Value -- Hudson, Haren, Johnson
    Worst Value -- E. Santana, Hughes (surprisingly), Kuroda, Lincecum (to emphasize the overpay by SFG)
    Trade Targets -- Price, De La Rosa, Anderson, Gallardo (Any of the last 3 seem realistic for the Twins?)

The write-ups are here for those with Insider.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    Trade Targets -- Price, De La Rosa, Anderson, Gallardo (Any of the last 3 seem realistic for the Twins?)

The write-ups are here for those with Insider.
    We listed three of those four in the Trade Targets section of the Offseason Handbook (we went with Nicasio instead of De La Rosa from the Rockies but similar situation). I think any of the last three make sense for the Twins and I'm particularly intrigued by Anderson. Pretty rare for a pitching talent of that caliber to be available for anything less than a king's ransom but I've got to imagine the A's are at least somewhat motivated to move him.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 44 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    We listed three of those four in the Trade Targets section of the Offseason Handbook (we went with Nicasio instead of De La Rosa from the Rockies but similar situation). I think any of the last three make sense for the Twins and I'm particularly intrigued by Anderson. Pretty rare for a pitching talent of that caliber to be available for anything less than a king's ransom but I've got to imagine the A's are at least somewhat motivated to move him.
    I agree. Anderson would be a great get. It's hard to gauge what it would take to get him though. The A's turned down Myers last year, but with another lost season and one less year of control, the price should go down. The A's are in win mode so they might want back of the bullpen help considering they are losing Balfour. Maybe Burton and Tonkin would do? A cheap late inning reliever with 2 years of control and a future late inning reliever.

Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JP3700 View Post
    I agree. Anderson would be a great get. It's hard to gauge what it would take to get him though. The A's turned down Myers last year, but with another lost season and one less year of control, the price should go down. The A's are in win mode so they might want back of the bullpen help considering they are losing Balfour. Maybe Burton and Tonkin would do? A cheap late inning reliever with 2 years of control and a future late inning reliever.
    I would do Burton and a Danny Ortiz type player. Are we significantly undervaluing what it would take here? I think so.

Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not sure why Kazmir would be a bargin
    He had a decent year last year. I think Target Field would fit him well. He is a guy i would target.