Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's play GM: Pitchers

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That all said, in my total delusional world it would be fun for the Twins to sign two mid-tier guys like Hughes, Kazmir, Haren, etc. and then three minor deal guys just to say to all the current pitchers: "we just added five guys, you tell us what that means about you."

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Capuano gives up way too many homers, moving to the AL that could go bad quickly.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have to think that most of these numbers are low... that's just me personally, but I think most of these guys get more years and dollars.

Administrator Double-A Twins Daily Admin's Avatar
    Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's hard to know what the TV money that is coming will do to the prices. But this lost gives me hope in a way - the Twins really don't have to go get one of the big multi-year guys this offseason to dramatically improve their rotation. Just getting two middle-tier guys on shorter, even one-year deals, could really provide a boost.

I'm wondering more and more about the sense that the Twins need to sign pitchers for multiple years over 1 year deals. I think it might be nice, but I don't think it's necessary. There's lots of room on this rotation for shrt term fixes, and then dealing with 2015 in 2015.

Excellent list and analysis. All the prices seem reasonable and there is more than enough talent there that every team should get a pitcher this year. Maybe the Twins will get two.

Hey, you left out Pelfrey.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 45 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    Excellent list and analysis. All the prices seem reasonable and there is more than enough talent there that every team should get a pitcher this year. Maybe the Twins will get two.

Hey, you left out Pelfrey.
    Thanks. I'm hoping for two as well, along with a good season from Gibson. That would be ideal.

I'm just not a Pelfrey guy. I didn't mind the signing at the time but after watching him pitch, I just don't think he has it. He has a good fastball but he doesn't have any secondary pitches. Awful splitter, little movement on his slider/cutter and although his curveball seems to actually be pretty good, he only throws it as a get me over pitch. Hence why he gets knocked around the second and third time through the order and that's only when he has good command of his fastball. On days when he doesn't, you're looking at a very short outing. Not to mention he's brutal to watch pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by AHSaves View Post
    To me, this seems like a year to see what we've got to build from. Our depth in SP has increased a lot after the past two drafts (not that I'm saying any of them are ready) and another year under some belts will give us a better idea. So my GM theory is sign two multiyear guys 30 or just under and take several flyers in major and minor league deals.

Kazmir - I would go two years plus a mutual option. $16-19MM

Nolasco or Hughes - I personally would prefer Nolasco but Hughes has the better age and upside. Three years at least approaching double digits per year. Maybe even some incentives for Hughes.

HAVE TO take a flyer on Josh Johnson. A walk-on Ace for most staffs. Yeah, the injury bug bites him more often than not but the potential return is insane. Could flip him at the deadline, could make a qualifying offer after the year, or resign him to lead the next wave. Would the Twins spend $10MM (and some extra $$ of incentives) and at worst call it a wash on a non-competitive year for that? They should..

other flyers: Hammel, Hernandez, Haren, or Capuano.

Also, sign SS Aledmys Diaz and/or trade for Espinosa while his value is low. I also read some great proposals for Chad Billingsley of the LAD and I think we could work out something great for Ricky Romero from Toronto
    I really like most of your thoughts here. Agree completely with the Josh Johnson signing, have to take a risk on a potential ace. I also really like your idea of trying to trade low on some guys. I like the Romero idea most, lefty with filthy stuff when he has it working. I'd also like to throw in Jeremy Hellickson after his down year, could definitely provide a solid mid rotation guy. Billingsley if healthy I'd take a run at too since I'll bet the dodgers wouldn't be too unhappy to get rid of him. I would throw in Gallardo from the Brewers but he's a bit pricier. I might ask Arizona about Daniel Hudson or Trevor Cahill since they have some good young pitching coming through. I don't see how the Twins shouldn't be making calls this winter

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 60 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Leauge Ready View Post
    I saw on MLB hot stove that Santana wants 5/100. Nolasco wants 5/80. Of course that does not mean they get it but it does provide an indication that the agents/players smell all that extra revenue entering the market.
    I see 4/60 as being a realistic possibility for Nolasco so trying for that 5th year and an extra million isn't too far of a stretch.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 60 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Knowing the Twins they are going to go after shorter term deals if they can. I saw a Pioneer article detailing Krvisky being the one who brought Arroyo over to the Reds. I can see that turning into a 2-3 year contract or 2 year with option. The other obvious smart short term contract is Kazmir. Nolasco = Brad Radke. You know the Twins would like to sign him. They wanted to trade for him a few years ago. The only issue with him is I think he likes California better. I see the Twins signing 2 of these 3 with Kazmir being their third option only due to relationships with the other players/ agents. It would be cool if the Twins sign Santana. If the management reads this board and gauges the rest of Minnesota's affinity for him I think it would make sense seeing how well respected he is here = (more tickets sold and greater fan interest)

Nolasco
    Arroyo
    Dedunno
    Correia
    Santana, Albers, Gibson, Meyer, Diamond, Logan then maybe Worely

Nolasco is going to be able to be more successful here because of our bullpen. He should have very similar results to what Radke had here.

Someone in the rotation will eventually miss a few starts so these other pitchers will still get some opportunities if they don't make the rotation.

This is a rotation that is at least competitive provided the defense and offense do their parts and Corriea pitches like he did last year. We know the bullpen should be above average resulting in an above average pitching staff ERA.
    Last edited by Brandon; 11-10-2013 at 08:41 AM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 149 Times in 78 Posts
    Sign Hughes to a 2 or 3 year deal. Johnson for 1 with an option and big incentives and Johan to a low-risk deal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12