Thread: Article: 2014 Minnesota Twins Offseason Blueprint

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: 2014 Minnesota Twins Offseason Blueprint

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well done. I think your prices on Hughes and Johnson are low. Personally I don't care what kind of spring Sano has, he is going to get more seasoning in the minors.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    I agree the prices are probably a little low on Johnson & Hughes, but clearly there's room in the budget to go higher on them. I'd be happy to go 3 years $27M on Hughes, whom I think would fit in very nicely at Target Field. I wouldn't waste time & effort to bring back Johan, whom I think would have too high expectations from the media and fanbase; moreover I think the team has options for a 5th starter in Deduno, Worley, and Diamond that work. It's only when we need them to be 2 or 3 starters that things look so ugly. If the Twins sign Johnson & Hughes the rotation improves massively.

I doubt Sano starts with the club, but it sure is fun to think about it! I want Parmelee to succeed, but I'm increasingly of the belief that he's a replacement-level guy at best, a real AAAA talent. You can't count on him.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 26 Posts
    Just say no to Phil Hughes. He's essentially Kevin Correia and there is no reason to give him that kind of a contract. I like taking a flyer on Johnson because, if by some miracle he stays healthy, you actually have a top notch pitcher as opposed to another 3/4 type starter. I honestly believe Swarzak could put up Phil Hughes type numbers if given a chance (I know, let the ripping begin).

I would also make sure Willingham, Doumit and Plouffe all get plenty of at bats early and deal any / all of them as soon as they hit a hot streak and their value goes up some. Doumit could be dealt this winter as his value is likely to be the same. I would let Parmelee play first / right field a bunch with the idea that this is his last chance - he sinks or swims.

Lastly, the question of when to call up the next wave is simple. When they are ready, bring them up; no need to rush them if they haven't handled AAA or no need to delay for service time reasons.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How many wins for this team? I think that it is always important to ask this question. If the answer is less than 86, then more changes are needed.

And this lineup and bench contain a whole bunch of people who were part of the problem the last couple years...

Senior Member Triple-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    How many wins for this team? I think that it is always important to ask this question. If the answer is less than 86, then more changes are needed.

And this lineup and bench contain a whole bunch of people who were part of the problem the last couple years...
    Therein lies the problem....when you have as far to go as the Twins do, it really is a multiple year process if you are going to replace them with better parts and still get something for them. That's why I am really hoping that Willingham starts fast so we can deal him. One of the things I am really looking forward to is a roster that doesn't have so many guys that are sub par defenders shuffling around between corner outfield, first base, DH, etc.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    Just say no to Phil Hughes. He's essentially Kevin Correia and there is no reason to give him that kind of a contract.
    Hughes and Correia are nothing alike. Hughes is a flyball pitcher with a 20% K rate who throws a 92 mph fastball. Correia is a groundball pitcher with a 15% K rate and a 90 mph fastball.

I'm not sold on Hughes, but I think the emphasis on groundball pitchers in a pitcher friendly park with a questionable infield defense is maybe misguided. I'd much prefer a guy who can manage a leage average strikeout rate even if it means more flyballs.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Hughes and Correia are nothing alike. Hughes is a flyball pitcher with a 20% K rate who throws a 92 mph fastball. Correia is a groundball pitcher with a 15% K rate and a 90 mph fastball.

I'm not sold on Hughes, but I think the emphasis on groundball pitchers in a pitcher friendly park with a questionable infield defense is maybe misguided. I'd much prefer a guy who can manage a leage average strikeout rate even if it means more flyballs.
    I didn't mean style of pitching rather results. Old Goat did a comparison in another thread (which I can't find, sorry) and it was rather remarkable how KC had better stats than Hughes across the board, traditional and SABR stats. The only thing that intrigues me about Hughes is his age, and how much better his stats are away from Yankee Stadium. If that doesn't translate to Target Field (which it should) he solves nothing for us.

I think strikeouts are great, rather have them than not but its not the be all, end all. Plenty of effective pitchers out there getting guys out in a variety of ways.

A quick nit to pick: I think our infield defense other than Plouffe is fine.

Cody: I appreciate your analysis, but disagree with it. I hope the Twins trade Plouffe, not shift him to RF. He's way too inconsistent at the plate, and not a good defender. The Twins need to trade him for an A level SP.

Sano likely won't be ready on opening day, so Escobar will be needed there until Sano is ready.

Everyone thinks Mauer won't catch next year. NEWS: Yes he will. He'll spend much of his time behind the plate and the rest at DH. Pinto will also be behind the plate and serve time at DH.

I also prefer Colabello over Parmelee. Colabello should be at 1B.

I like Hughes and Johnson, but the Twins will need a third FA SP – other than Johan Santana, I might add.

And add Ibarra to the team's relief corps.

That's what the Twins need to do.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post

Thank you on Phill Hughes! Although besides Plouffe, who is a half season away from a bench role the middle infield defense is quite good.

I wanna throw one CRAZY idea out there. If we've got all this money why don't we try and spend it in an outrageous way. Matt Kemp? provided it wouldn't cost us any ridiculous prospect package. They'll probably look for Rosario since they lack infield players
    Report: Dodgers listening on OFers, who has the most trade value? - CBSSports.com
    Last edited by AussieTwin; 11-09-2013 at 08:49 AM.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can't see Aaron Hicks or Sano starting the season in Minnesota. In fact, I would give a better chance to Sano than Hicks. Sano is coming off a fine minor league season and has progressed each year. Hicks is coming off an, at least, disappointing season wherein he wasn't recalled from Rochester. Hicks was promoted to the big leagues after a successful season at New Britain, coupled with a very good spring training. Next year, he will be considered coming off a poor season. Even if he's outstanding in the spring, the Twins can't and won't repeat their mistake of promoting him without success at the immediate lower level (AAA). Presley starts the season as the CF probably basically platooning with Mastroianni. Plouffe starts at third with a pretty short leash and also dependent on the early season success of Sano in Rochester.

I am also not a fan of Colabello. I don't think he'll ever be able to hit major league pitching and he's poor at first and brutal in the outfield.