Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mackey: How to Fix the Twins

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,300 Times in 775 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    What team isn't wary of a bad contracts?
    The Angels come to mind.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 316 Times in 188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor0333 View Post
    1st Tanaka is not signing here, even if they make the highest bid he has the option to choose between the 3 highest bids. It's either going to be a contender or someone on the west coast.

Can we please get off Phil Hughes, even when he has been healthy he hasn't been good. He is a extreme fly ball pitcher & there are plenty of band boxes in the AL central. Also both Johnson & Hughes have said they want 1 year deals to establish their value.
    Last I checked, the ideas of changing the posting rules are merely speculation.... and I'm pretty sure that it would have to be agreed upon by both sides.

You'll probably have to link Hughes' statement about a 1 year deal. I haven't heard that. He hasn't lived up to expectations, but he hasn't been terrible either, and that is in a bandbox of a park. I'm guessing he gets a multi year deal.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 71 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Last I checked, the ideas of changing the posting rules are merely speculation.... and I'm pretty sure that it would have to be agreed upon by both sides.

You'll probably have to link Hughes' statement about a 1 year deal. I haven't heard that. He hasn't lived up to expectations, but he hasn't been terrible either, and that is in a bandbox of a park. I'm guessing he gets a multi year deal.
    Tim Dierkes, Keith Law, and Buster Olney have all said that he should be looking for a one year deal like Jackson two years ago or a Liriano 1 year deal with an option like last year. Hughes' agent came out months ago saying Hughes would be willing to listen on one year deals.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 69 Times in 52 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Signing players, especially pitchers, two one-year deals involves the following considerations:

1. Looking at the potential of dealing with the exact same terrible situation this time a year from now (mitigated, potentially, by Meyer-Gibson-May).
    2. Hoping that said player does very well and can be dealt or does well and wants to actually return (though wanting a multi-year deal).
    3. If he sucks, then well, it's a one-year deal.

I was very against the idea of signing one year guys, but I have come around.

I am not sure how Hughes would take to Minnesota. He might really like it, for all we know. I know little other than his Christianity, but perhaps he just wants to get the hell out of a crazy media-infested environment.

I get really cautious about Kazmir, by the way. I mean . . . it's been a disaster since what 2008 aside from a goodish 2013. I like him on principle since he strikes people out a lot. I am sick of watching this nonsense. I would be happy with any 1-3 year deal for Hughes and Kazmir.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts
    How about the Twins just overpay enough for one year of (insert hotly-debated, question-mark pitcher) so that he is amicable to an reasonable option year?

If Hughes for example is only getting $7 million offers, one would think he may consider a $9 million deal from the Twins with a $10 million 2015 club option.

Liked 1,216 Times in 552 Posts
    Playing in the shallow end of free agency with guys who won't get multi yr offers is how you end up with Pelfrey, Correia, Jason Marquis, Livan Hernandez et al.

The Twins need starting pitching, in 2014 and beyond. Signing only from the bottom tier isn't going to fix that any more than it ever has.

I never have liked the idea of Hughes...and if all he's worth is a one yr offer, I think that just confirms my opinion.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12