Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Twins expressed interest in free-agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Turner is three years away and it isn't clear that he is going to be good anyway.

Pinto and Herrmann can get the job done in 2014. All money should be thrown towards starting pitching.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    The Twins could sign Molina as he is available. That would put to rest the debate what difference pitch framing makes in a game.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    I don't agree, Shane. There is plenty of money to sign a catcher or DH or OF if they want, on top of two starting pitchers.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I don't agree, Shane. There is plenty of money to sign a catcher or DH or OF if they want, on top of two starting pitchers.
    Exactly, they could sign Salty, two legit SP (and one lottery ticket-Johan) and still have enough left for a DH/OF type (5-6 mil)

Also, if Pinto is as good as people claim he is, there will still be plenty of at bats for him.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    I can understand getting a veteran catcher, but I'd rather have a $13 million pitcher and a $5 million dollar catcher than a $13 million catcher and a $5 million pitcher.

Saltalamacchia is OK defensively, but really, the team who buys him is buying off of a career year. A year which happens to look very similar to Ryan Doumit 2012. I'm not paying +$8 million for that.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    I'm down with that Nick. Heck, I'd be good with 2 $13MM pitchers, and a $2MM catcher.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I'm down with that Nick. Heck, I'd be good with 2 $13MM pitchers, and a $2MM catcher.....
    Yes, if hypothetically the Twins plan on signing three pitchers and a catcher, I'd prefer the pay to look like this, assuming the salary requested is based on expectation of performance:

Pitcher 1 = $$$$
    Pitcher 2 = $$$
    Pitcher 3 = $$
    Catcher = $

Pitcher 3 and the catcher can swap spots if the pitcher 3 is aa low risk/high reward lotto ticket type.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 11-12-2013 at 10:45 AM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What if we went with Ramon Hernandez? He is a vet that can mentor Pinto for about 2-2.5 million. Last year he made 3.2 million but I don't see him making that again at 38. You can sign him to a 1 year deal and than let Herrmann and Pinto take over after that. He isn't a guy that will demand 4 starts a week so the Twins can still get Pinto and Herrmann plenty of games at catcher (assuming the Twins will want both on the MLB roster). He is also a guy that, if Pinto is playing acceptable, you can release or trade for a D prospect or just cut. He has hit for average in the past with some pop and has thrown out would be base stealers at a 30% clip. He would merely be a bridge to Pinto/Herrmann, he doesn't have to be great and he could just go away when Pinto is ready. There is no reason to sign someone who will block a promising prospect on a team with 3 straight 90+ lose seasons. What do you think?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 117 Times in 52 Posts
    If A.J. was willing to be a backup at this point (and he ought to be), I'd absolutely sign him on a 1 or 1+option deal to back up Pinto and bat primarily against tough right-handers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Turner is three years away and it isn't clear that he is going to be good anyway.

Pinto and Herrmann can get the job done in 2014. All money should be thrown towards starting pitching.
    Bueller?

I'd like to see Herrmann and Pinto slug it out (maybe not the right metaphor) compete and Doumit would be just fine to catch for a free agent pitcher, if that's what the Twins think they need.

Pinto will not be a career .340 and Herrmann's average will lift and Herrmann 's D measures up favorably against Pinto's. Herrmann did call those Albers shutouts. Herrmann, Pinto, Doumit are the catchers on this team.

Liked 335 Times in 176 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    if the Twins go into next season and find out Pinto is a significant defensive liability, where will they turn? Even a defense only catcher like Butera costs a premium during the seasons
    If you asked 10 people on the street who the Dodgers gave up for Drew Butera, you'd get 3 'I dunno's, 2 'The Twins traded Drew Butera?'s, and 5 'Who's Drew Butera?'s.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    If you asked 10 people on the street who the Dodgers gave up for Drew Butera, you'd get 3 'I dunno's, 2 'The Twins traded Drew Butera?'s, and 5 'Who's Drew Butera?'s.
    Ha. One like for your comment, sir!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12