Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Reason to Sign A.J.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 61 Times in 41 Posts
    Ok, the reason I kicked this thread was to see how pursuing AJ looks in the post Nolasco/Hughes context. Does he have holes in his game? Heck yeah- no arm, no wheels and the SO/BB ratio is sick. Guy doesn't walk. Ever. Point taken. But he gets on base...

My basic view on this this- gut- is that Pinto has something to offer if groomed correctly. He could be the wave of the future. Meantime, we need an adult back there (at least part of the time). C is a position Twins need to address, and I'm glad they're showing interest in the 2 biggest FAs- Salty and AJ.

I anticipate that whoever they sign will not play every day- the project should be to get Pinto in there, and to guide him on the way, IMO. Develop the guy. So from that standpoint, AJ's K/BB numbers don't scare me so much.

If we're serious about landing Salty, what do we have to lay out in $$ and years? If Pinto can develop with vet guidance, then AJ is a short-term solution to a short-term problem. Honestly, what would a Salty signing bring to the table?
    F5, then post.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 127 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Neither Saltalamacchia or Pierzynski is a plus defensive catcher IMHO. Both are horrible throwing out base stealers, moderate framing pitches with the former Red Sox having a good year doing that last year and decent calling a game and handling pitchers. I think the Twins should get a defense-first receiver to mentor Pinto and go no more than one year or a year plus an option. Ryan Hanigan has been my choice since I read up on him. He shouldn't cost more than a C prospect or a bullpen arm.

3. This user likes stringer bell's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (12-02-2013)

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    I don't have a problem with any of the catchers mentioned, but I would sign Salty for 3 years. It's near impossible to find a catcher with his power, and he can also DH. With what we watched the last two seasons, the least of my concerns is someone being blocked. If we end up with two good hitting catchers, so be it.

With Navarro now off the market that opens the door for AJ! Get it done. Reusse said they're close on Pelfrey too!

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    AJ is one of those guys you hate when you play against them but love if he's on your team. He is a real jackass on the field a lot of times but I think the Twins need a little more fire and attitude which is what AJ can bring. Not to mention he's still a decent player who can hit some.

Not sure if he'd be willing to sit on the bench though, but between DH and splitting catching duties he could still get on the field quite a bit.

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
    J.P. Arencibia is going to be non-tendered or traded, and could be a interesting buy low candidate. He's just 27 years old, and has major league power.

8. This user likes PseudoSABR's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    J.P. Arencibia is going to be non-tendered or traded, and could be a interesting buy low candidate. He's just 27 years old, and has major league power.
    Straight pull hitter from the right side, former top talent, decent backstop. Yeah, sign me up.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    There will be a good amount of competition to get him, I think, but he would be a good pickup.

11. This user likes mcrow's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would very much prefer this over AJ/Salty.

Let Pinto & Arencibia battle it out in ST for the full time duties.

Send them Worley & Duensing for him lol

Senior Member Triple-A Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 56 Times in 33 Posts
    Funny how a big guy like AJ has managed to stay behind the plate without major health issues.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    AJ is an interesting option on so many levels, but I think it comes down to how he sees himself at this stage of his career. Would he be satisfied with sharing the catching duties and mentoring a younger catcher? I don't seem to recall him being all that anxious to mentor Flowers in Chicago (though he was a couple years younger then). If there's any chance he's going to bitch and moan about playing time all summer, that's not the kind of change in clubhouse atmosphere you need.

But if he could be a Crash Davis type - someone who knows his days are numbered and is looking to set up his next career as a coach/manager by demonstrating that he's capable of teaching, not only other catchers, but more importantly young pitchers (I can just see AJ telling a hitter what's coming the first time a rookie pitcher shakes him off, can't you?) - then I'm on board with an AJ/Twins reunion tour.

I don't give a rip about whether fans will "like" him or not and I would hope that wouldn't factor in to TR's decision at all.

I'm also less concerned with "blocking" Pinto than most seem to be. If you have a can't miss star like Mauer, when he was coming up, or guys like Sano and Buxton, then you make sure you don't block their path with veterans, even if the veterans might be better players for a little while. But I don't put Pinto in that category at this point. When he's able to beat out the competition, he gets the job. Until then, if you have the chance to put someone better on the field, you do it... whether that's AJ (if you believe he's actually better, which is certainly debatable) for a year or Saltalamacchia for a couple years.

I do think AJ seems more interested in a broadcasting career after he's done playing than a coaching/managing career, though, and that makes me question is he's really open to a mentoring role.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Please click the link for a reminder of the fire and guts that AJ brings to the table.

CHC@CWS: Benches clear after play at the plate - YouTube

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post

But if he could be a Crash Davis type - someone who knows his days are numbered and is looking to set up his next career as a coach/manager
    I thought of this as well, but then I remembered how much AJ was on TV during the playoffs; I think he's already trying to line up his next career as a talking head. Though he could be trying to hedge his bets.

It was sad AJ's Twins career ended the way it did. Its a shame they couldnt have found a way to keep both him and mauer. In hindsight maybe AJ and Mauer should have split the catching/DH duties 50/50.

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Highabove View Post
    Please click the link for a reminder of the fire and guts that AJ brings to the table.
    That's what I'm Talking ABOUT!!! I would actually be happy with the attitude of both catchers in this video.

Apart from the acute Pitching Needs... That's what this Minnesota Twins Team Needs.

I'm tired of watching the team get out of the way on the base paths so the SS has an easy throw on a double play ball... I'm tired of Scott Diamond meekly sticking up for his teammates with lame message pitches at Gardy's behest... I'm tired of Plouffe not diving into the hole to pick up grounders... I'm tired of Mauer's lack of triples. I'm tired of every single player with a bat in their hands under performing expectation by a large margin.

Accept for Brian Dozier of course... Dozier was the one player you could count on to get dirty in 2013 and he seemed to over perform at the plate as well.

I believe it's how winning teams play ball. I believe this sort of thing rolls on and into everyone in your clubhouse and gets your teammates going even if they don't understand why or how. Just look at the high fiving in the White Sox dugout afterwards.

I believe that if the team played this way... Josh Willingham would not have hit .208 in 2013. I think Josh Willingham hit .208 because he went to sleep playing baseball with this club and so did the rest of the offense.

I believe that the Fans deserve this when they buy a ticket. I believe that fans are getting ripped off... not because of the talent level... but ripped off because the team is not engaged enough to do the things I mention above.

Give me A.J... Play him and let him loose in the clubhouse. Whatever he hits, frames, or whatever doesn't matter. Give me A.J. It's time for Mauer to be Mauer and let someone else lead this team... We don't need no quiet leader. The quiet leader ain't working and we have young talented prospects who need an example of how to do it. Or else we might as well just turn them into quiet followers of quiet leaders.

BTW... This video is circa 2006. The White Sox had just won the world series in 2005. It's quite possible that the White Sox had a little attitude back then.

I know the Twins used to have a little attitude around that time. Torii Hunter didn't creep up to catchers and give them a hug before he crossed the plate. He would run them over if the catcher was blocking the plate.

The Catcher is blocking the plate... What shall I do? I have a pretty good idea what they should do. When's the last time you saw it from a Twins uniform?
    Last edited by Riverbrian; 12-02-2013 at 05:54 PM.
    "9. Lipstick"

"How can Canada produce Tie Domi and not have a better military"?

"I noticed while robbing the First State Bank last night that if you go into the vault when nobody is looking... You can get away with it".

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You guys need to quit with the mentoring thing as we have Mauer and Steinbach who can do that we just need someone who can play and definately hit. Our offense is the huge ? now that we have 4 decent enough starters and a deep bullpen. We scored 614 runs last season good for 14th place in a 15 team league. We will need to be in the 700 to 720 range to be in the vicinity of a .500 team.

I would be good with AJ on a 1 or 2 year deal. I am also good with Toronto's catcher if he can catch a decent game. The onbase is a little too low for me however. Salty is fine. I could care less about the contract the catcher we get signs.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    You guys need to quit with the mentoring thing as we have Mauer and Steinbach who can do that we just need someone who can play and definately hit. Our offense is the huge ? now that we have 4 decent enough starters and a deep bullpen. We scored 614 runs last season good for 14th place in a 15 team league. We will need to be in the 700 to 720 range to be in the vicinity of a .500 team.

I would be good with AJ on a 1 or 2 year deal. I am also good with Toronto's catcher if he can catch a decent game. The onbase is a little too low for me however. Salty is fine. I could care less about the contract the catcher we get signs.
    I agree with the mentoring angle, we have one of the best catchers in the last 10-15 years playing 1B and Steinbach was pertty good in his day as well.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Highabove View Post

CHC@CWS: Benches clear after play at the plate - YouTube
    That was a cheap shot by the Cubs catcher. I am even unbiased on this one. If he wasn't blocking the plate then i would understand...

22. This user likes Brandon's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 37 Times in 25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrow View Post
    AJ is one of those guys you hate when you play against them but love if he's on your team. He is a real jackass on the field a lot of times but I think the Twins need a little more fire and attitude which is what AJ can bring.
    Wasn't Ozzie's quote that you hate him if you play against him and hate him a little less if you play with him (although I think he was saying AJ's pros outweighed his cons).

I do think someone with a little more outspoken and extroverted could add to the team in the right circumstances. Under the right circumstances, I think AJ could be a good addition, and could definitely see him pushing a team on the edge to the next level. I am not sure how he would be if the team still really struggling and not improving (which hopefully won't be the case). He might go from being the edge needed to just being a toxic presense in the clubhouse - going from pumping people up to casting one big black cloud in the clubhouse. I guess with clubhouse chemistry, you never really know how things are going to translate from paper to reality until you are playing the game.

With the Twins having a less than ideal year last year, I checked out a little bit on baseball in general. Does Texas have a catcher on the rise or did they see signs of decline, and were they not interested in offering an extension to AJ?

24. This user likes D. Hocking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by D. Hocking View Post
    Wasn't Ozzie's quote that you hate him if you play against him and hate him a little less if you play with him (although I think he was saying AJ's pros outweighed his cons).

I do think someone with a little more outspoken and extroverted could add to the team in the right circumstances. Under the right circumstances, I think AJ could be a good addition, and could definitely see him pushing a team on the edge to the next level. I am not sure how he would be if the team still really struggling and not improving (which hopefully won't be the case). He might go from being the edge needed to just being a toxic presense in the clubhouse - going from pumping people up to casting one big black cloud in the clubhouse. I guess with clubhouse chemistry, you never really know how things are going to translate from paper to reality until you are playing the game.

With the Twins having a less than ideal year last year, I checked out a little bit on baseball in general. Does Texas have a catcher on the rise or did they see signs of decline, and were they not interested in offering an extension to AJ?
    As far as I know they don't have any major league ready prospect that will be ready to start this year.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast