Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Talks with Bronson Arroyo "heating up"

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I think it's more likely that they have no reason to care about fanboys opinions at all.

I think the fact that Ryan has acquired guys like Liriano, Santana, Boof, May, Meyer, Milton, Nathan etc shows that he isn't against bringing in strike out guys. There really isn't much out there and, esp in the bargain bin of free agency.
    I'm confused, am I the "fanboy?" Perhaps I have a faulty interpretation of the term but I thought it applied to brown nosers who wouldn't dare speak an ill word of the idol in fear that said idol was listening.

The Twins don't have to listen to me. How about they listen to common sense and sports writers that supposedly have more insight regarding the rediculous notion that it's best to demand your defense make 88% of your outs:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-t...e-no-one-ever/

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/H...problems110413

http://www.bringmethenews.com/2013/0...keout-numbers/

http://www.baseballnation.com/2013/6...keouts-history

Inflamatory comment aside, I am thrilled that the Twins appear to be at the front of the pack in terms of interviewing pitchers. It's just frustrating that they continue to be attracted to the same kind. There are plenty of free agents with league average or better strikeout rates available.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 11-13-2013 at 12:49 PM.

Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    I'm not sure if anyone else has said it, but Law is hilariously undervaluing Arroyo in his FA rankings.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    So you would rather have Bronson Arroyo than Ervin Santana or M. Tanaka, is that it?
    I have no idea where you're coming up with that. You asked about Burnett, so I showed why not and made a larger, relevant point about the challenges of getting quality free agents to bad teams.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 205 Times in 117 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    I have no idea where you're coming up with that. You asked about Burnett, so I showed why not and made a larger, relevant point about the challenges of getting quality free agents to bad teams.
    Humor me, would you personally rather the Twins sign B. Arroyo or M. Tanaka?

Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Humor me, would you personally rather the Twins sign B. Arroyo or M. Tanaka?
    Depends on money and length. Arroyo would not be horrible for 2 years, more would be terrible. It might not work out, but look at last year's FA crop of pitchers, very few of them worked out. If you want to take chances I would rather have Johnson, Lewis, Vogelsong, Halliday or any number of that type, because the contract is 1 year. Once to get to 3 years for pitchers over 30 there is too much risk and too little reward. Some of those above might not work out, but all in my mind are worth a chance if the price is right(Hoping for Johnson and one of the others or Kazmir). Then the third signing is not as important.

Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you think Poland is going to approve a $75 million posting fee and 12-15 million a year, then it won't happen and don't be disappointed it did not.

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    Longer-term deal for a player who will be around when the Twins might contend (probably 2016 at the earliest)
    The availability and longterm effectiveness of such players is severally limited. Arroyo on a two year deal does nothing to interfere with the teams long term competitiveness. Beyond Tanaka (and even him), every other free agent will be questionably valuable in 2016.

The Twins need innings and have money to spend, not every deal can necessarily contribute to the future club, and nor should every deal be some boom-or-bust model.

I think opposition to signing Arroyo suffers from some romantic idea of what the Twins can actually accomplish in free agency. Signing Arroyo isn't mutually exclusive with signing any other free agent pitchers, and as I argued earlier, it may help mitigate the risk from signing another, boom-or-bust pitcher.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 181 Times in 108 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Part of me wants to be excited that we're finally going after a decent pitcher making decent money -- but another part of me is very worried that the Twins will see this as their big splash of the offseason, maybe make another cheap Rich Harden type move (or Pelfrey move) and call it a day.

2/24 for Arroyo would be fine, but given the void in the rotation, they really need to get two guys in that price range before they take fliers on injury cases or re-up Pelf. Kazmir at 2/16 would be a solid second move.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
    Quite a few pitchers out there and what concerns me is that Ryan will late too long to sign someone decent and will get left with nothing. At what point in time last year did he have to settle for guys like Pelfrey and Correia and miss out on others that would have been better pitchers. Surely someone has done a breakdown of this. And the trade for Worley is really in the same category. Could Ryan asked for a better pitcher than Worley turned out to be?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 184 Times in 104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    Quite a few pitchers out there and what concerns me is that Ryan will late too long to sign someone decent and will get left with nothing. At what point in time last year did he have to settle for guys like Pelfrey and Correia and miss out on others that would have been better pitchers. Surely someone has done a breakdown of this. And the trade for Worley is really in the same category. Could Ryan asked for a better pitcher than Worley turned out to be?
    Correia was signed pretty early IIRC

And Worley appeared to be a nice pick up at the time, Revere a 4th OF wasn't ever going to fetch much, and Worley at least had success at the major league level. May was the main piece of that trade though.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 346 Times in 197 Posts
    I don't like that we aren't changing our targets in terms of profile, but I'd celebrate any deal that we go out and spend 10+ a year on for 2-3 years.

If nothing else it'd be reason for hope and a damn starting point for better things in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    I will say that Arroyo and Kendrys Morales (to hell with Doumit as DH) provide an appealing thing: crazy consistency. Look up their stats. It's weird how consistent they are.
    I would give Doumit away for basically nothing to get $3.5M off the books and sign a quality catcher to ease Pinto into taking over full time.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    Josh Johnson
    Kazmir
    Hughes
    Erick Chavez
    R.Fucal

By no means sign Bronson Arroyo and his 87 mph fastball to anything over a 1 year contract
    What does the velocity of a fastball have to do about whether a pitcher is any good or not. Greg Maddux was one of the greatest pitchers in the 90's and never threw over 89 mph on a good day and he will be a Hall of Famer on the first ballot. I am not trying to compare Arroyo with Maddux by no means but you don't need to throw hard to win you just have to be smart and know how work the strike zone.

Liked 409 Times in 209 Posts
    Blog Entries
    After three years of abject rotation failure, it's getting a little less likely to feel either excitement or frustration over possible FA starter signings.

So "Talks with Bronson Arroyo heating up" sounds a tiny bit to me like an Onion story, along the lines of "Family's excitement over impending used minivan purchase approaching fever pitch with approval of car loan".

Yes, 'heating up' refers to the increasing likelihood of a deal, not the desirability of it. Still, it's hard to see what Arroyo does on a two year deal other than maybe to help Gardenhire achieve the historical moral victory of becoming the first manager since WWII to avoid losing at least 93 games after three consecutive 90+ loss seasons.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,299 Times in 775 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    I would give Doumit away for basically nothing to get $3.5M off the books and sign a quality catcher to ease Pinto into taking over full time.
    It would take a lot of FA signings to get the Twins anywhere near the $100M mark, and until that time comes the salaries currently on the books are close to irrelevant to strategic planning.

Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    What does the velocity of a fastball have to do about whether a pitcher is any good or not. Greg Maddux was one of the greatest pitchers in the 90's and never threw over 89 mph on a good day and he will be a Hall of Famer on the first ballot. I am not trying to compare Arroyo with Maddux by no means but you don't need to throw hard to win you just have to be smart and know how work the strike zone.
    The twins have been using this logic for years now trying to clone Brad Radke and it has led to the glut of 4th/5th/AAAA starters that have made up the rotation. Velocity isn't everything but it sure helps and at this point, at least for me, it would be nice to see them attempt to pursue it instead of pitchibility.
    "Professionalism - When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S Thompson

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 71 Times in 49 Posts
    From Buster Olney:

"Twins have made it known they intend to sign two good veteran pitchers."

They don't come much more veteran than Arroyo. At least they are being aggressive

Quote Originally Posted by zchrz View Post
    The twins have been using this logic for years now trying to clone Brad Radke and it has led to the glut of 4th/5th/AAAA starters that have made up the rotation. Velocity isn't everything but it sure helps and at this point, at least for me, it would be nice to see them attempt to pursue it instead of pitchibility.
    The difference here is that Bronson Arroyo is a proven pitcher. Not some soft-tosser with a mediocre minor league track record.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 346 Times in 197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    From Buster Olney:

"Twins have made it known they intend to sign two good veteran pitchers."

They don't come much more veteran than Arroyo. At least they are being aggressive
    Well, yeah...but what about the "good" part? I assume that's relatively speaking?

Member Rookie
    Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    SoVD already covered this pretty well, but there seems to be some revisionism going on across this thread and this board. Correia was signed pretty early on in FA, and while there are people from Philly I'd have rather had (The at-the-time unutilized Dom Brown, for instance), Vance Worley was pretty solid in his first 2 years before the injury bug struck him.

The periphrials suggest that he was remarkably unlucky and also that he's lost some of the deception that made him so effective earlier in his career. It's quite possible that being 25, getting engaged (married?) and completely/unexpectedly uprooting your life to a new city, while trying to rehab an injury, proved too much for him. Given that the Twins felt he showed up to spring training out of shape, I think there's some solid ground for this theory. It also makes him a solid candidate for a bounceback season if he gets his head and body right (see: Dozier). It's rarely advisable to draw conclusions from a trade one season in.

Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Part of me wants to be excited that we're finally going after a decent pitcher making decent money -- but another part of me is very worried that the Twins will see this as their big splash of the offseason, maybe make another cheap Rich Harden type move (or Pelfrey move) and call it a day.

2/24 for Arroyo would be fine, but given the void in the rotation, they really need to get two guys in that price range before they take fliers on injury cases or re-up Pelf. Kazmir at 2/16 would be a solid second move.
    And on that note... I'm aware this is all relative and subjective, the contract Pelfrey signed ($4m, reasonable incentives up to 4.5 or 5m, total potential value of $5.5m, I believe he only reached 4.1) isn't necessarily what I think of when discussing cheap pitcher contracts. It's actually pretty inline with being a one year version of what Correia got (just with a little insurance via the incentives). You may also consider the Correia deal cheap, and that's a perfectly fair reading of it.

For my part, and I know Mackey hates it, I don't mind the idea of an Arroyo signing-especially if the organization uses the contact to limit the risk of a multi-year deal(incentives, vesting options, etc). I think there is benefit to having a consistent veteran workhorse (even if it's consistently mediocre) around for younger pitchers, especially since the rotations people are projecting for 14/15/16/17 are built around 3 or 4 players with fewer than 100 IP combined at the major league level.

Plus penciling in his average workload for the rotation would make it substantially less likely I'm subjected to another "human interest story" about the Twins Pitcher in his late 20s making his first MLB start and all of the adversity/mediocrity he had to overcome to make that start. I'm definitely in favor of that.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast