Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Talks with Bronson Arroyo "heating up"

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts

Talks with Bronson Arroyo "heating up"

According to Mike Berardino while negotiations of terms hasn't begun advance legwork (examining medical records/discussing guarantee language) shows Twins are serious. Arroyo has averaged $12 million the past 5 years and according to Berardino he is unlikely to take a pay cut. Most likely a multi year deal.

Here is what Tim Dierkes had to say about his 23rd ranked FA:

Arroyo is the only pitcher in baseball to make at least 32 starts per year from 2005-13. Arroyo, 37 in February, is the game's most consistent innings-eater. It appears he'll move on from the Reds after eight seasons, and he didn't receive a potentially budget-busting qualifying offer. I've pegged Arroyo at two years and $24MM, which could be palatable for the Mets, Twins, Giants, and several other teams looking to solidify the backend of their rotation.

Law ranked him the 45th best FA and here is what he had to say:

There's some value in durability, which Arroyo has, with 32 or more starts in nine straight seasons, including all eight since he moved to hitter-friendly Great American Ballpark. He's had to ramp up the use of his slider as his velocity has slipped into the upper 80s, averaging about 87 mph the past three years, and his problems with the long ball are only likely to increase as he gets older.
    He fills up the strike zone and takes the ball every fifth day, which is somewhat faint praise but still makes him a $2 million to $3 million fifth-starter candidate on a one-year dea

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    It's nice that the Twins are willing to mix it up and go after a soft tosser. That will really fool opponents after seeing Correia and Diamond the previous two days.

Liked 104 Times in 62 Posts
    Going for Pavano 2.0? They could use a workhorse but it scares me if they spend 10+ on Arroyo then he is going to be the "major" addition. I am having this dark nightmare where the starters on opening day are Arroyo, Correia, Vargas, Gibson, and Dedeuno and TR is saying see I spent money on the rotation.
    "Professionalism - When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S Thompson

Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    Why not sign Arroyo and Scott Kazmir to 2 ye deals with club options for a 3rd yr. I don't think you will find any other starters better than them that might sign with the Twins. Fill out the rotation with some of the in house garbage until Kyle Gibson can prove he is ready for the majors and keep a seat warm for Alex Myers in early June or so.
    1. Arroyo
    2. Kazmir
    3. Correia
    4. ?
    5. ?

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This gets tricky. I would say that if the Twins cannot get TWO of E. Santana, Jimenez, Hughes, Kazmir, Haren, and Hudson (maybe a few others) than Arroyo is going to make sense. Arroyo is significantly better than Nolasco, who is somehow being considered for 3 or 4 years by some around here. Arroyo's issue is with the homers. He is Brad Radke, essentially. Brad Radke in TF would have been of some value. I have no problem with a two-year commitment to Arroyo as long as they really make an attempt at the other guys too.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I will say that Arroyo and Kendrys Morales (to hell with Doumit as DH) provide an appealing thing: crazy consistency. Look up their stats. It's weird how consistent they are.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Josh Johnson
    Kazmir
    Hughes
    Erick Chavez
    R.Fucal

By no means sign Bronson Arroyo and his 87 mph fastball to anything over a 1 year contract

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am fine with Johnson and Kazmir on 2 year deals. Anything more and you may be blocking the young pitchers coming up. I am scared of Arroyo as this is the American league and he will have few 8 and 9 hitters to pitch to after pitching around the guy or 2 above them.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beckmt View Post
    I am fine with Johnson and Kazmir on 2 year deals. Anything more and you may be blocking the young pitchers coming up. I am scared of Arroyo as this is the American league and he will have few 8 and 9 hitters to pitch to after pitching around the guy or 2 above them.
    Not too worried about that, if they're really knocking on the door you could always trade either one. Arroyo would be a nice pickup if he's the 2nd best FA pitcher signed this offseason. I certainly wouldn't want him on more than a 2 year deal though.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    I have no problem with Arroyo for up to 3. If Kazmir is truly healthy, I like him for 2. Last year we used 11 starting pitchers, 9 of whom spend some time at Rochester. I like Diamond, Vanimal, Denuno, if he's not ready, as plan B. No idea how they will make it thru waivers. Meyer should be ready midseason. The rotation will be far from sexy, but it is a step forward.

This would position us to start 2015 with Arroyo, Kazmir, Meyer, and Gibson. I would spend or trade big to fill the final spot.

Liked 58 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Signing Arroyo would be a relief because we all know he is at least adequate. So now its on to who is the next pitcher. I like Kazmir cause he's a lefty and K's people. We will probably get Maholm or Campuano who are lefty but doesn't k as much. That still equals a decent rotation especially with our bullpen remember the blueprint for success I shared earlier on how Twins construct a winner.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Signing Arroyo would be a relief because we all know he is at least adequate. So now its on to who is the next pitcher. I like Kazmir cause he's a lefty and K's people. We will probably get Maholm or Campuano who are lefty but doesn't k as much. That still equals a decent rotation especially with our bullpen remember the blueprint for success I shared earlier on how Twins construct a winner.
    Arroyo is just more of the same, It will be very disappointing if this is Ryan's big splash.

Liked 58 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Arroyo is just more of the same, It will be very disappointing if this is Ryan's big splash.
    Having a pitcher who is capable of winning everytime out is a good thing. I hope we get 2 pitchers. If we get him that's 50% of the goal. We get another one and I guess a catcher now, we should be able to compete for a .500 record or better next year. Especially if the young hitters take a step forward.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    So your saying if we have a glut of quality starting pitchers ,that is a bad thing?Or that we would be stuck with them, Or are you saying if we are stuck with bad pitching it will block the wave of kids coming up?You see the 5 Players I listed are all the kind of guys that Ryan likes , coming off bad seasons ,hurt or older part time players.As for Bronson , he would be an improvement over some we have pencilled in , but is just more of the same ,telling me that you cant teach an ole dog new tricks

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Having a pitcher who is capable of winning everytime out is a good thing. I hope we get 2 pitchers. If we get him that's 50% of the goal. We get another one and I guess a catcher now, we should be able to compete for a .500 record or better next year. Especially if the young hitters take a step forward.
    Brandon, that's the way I see it too.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    I have no problem with Arroyo for up to 3. .
    Arroyo will be 37, 38 and 39 in those 3 years. Already his Fastball is down to mid 80s. His K-rate is like Correia's. His FIP and xFIP are at the Correia level. He is actually worse than Correia. How many pitchers close to 40 can perform at a high level (without PED - Mr Colon) ? Maybe the Twins should look at Jaimie Moyer (rumored unavailable) and Carl Pavano and Carlos Zambrano (both willing and available) while they are at it.

Law got it right. One year dear at low dollars at most and would make absolutely no sense for the Twins. And to a multi-year dear to regret, like Correia's and Capps' and Pavano's... They got their mediocre innings eater du jour in Correia, now they should go get some real pitching. I'd rather see Meyer than Arroyo pitch any day, because he will give the Twins a higher likelihood to win.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 332 Times in 162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Now that Mark DeRosa is retired it may be the best player he can get.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We need another workhorse, and I have no issue with this signing as long as this isn't the only pitcher we sign.
    I bent my wookie...

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    They need good pitchers. A number 4 starter really isn't going to advance the cause all that much. If this is the best they do, I'll be disappointed. I get the feeling they are more interested in innings and not having to use a ton of pitchers, than in good pitching, but maybe that's not right.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    He will probably be ok, but this would be the epitome of an unexciting signing

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast