Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shelby Miller

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 184 Times in 104 Posts

Shelby Miller

Apparently the Cards are shopping him, anyone else think the Twins should take a run at him?

I imagine they would ask for Sano or Buxton, who both would be off the table IMO at this point, as they are the #1 and #3 guys heading into this season.

However, could a deal be made around: Stewart+Rosario+more?

I don't believe we can trade Stewart til June. Rosario+Thorpe+Perkins+Hicks would probably get it done, no? I wouldn't do that trade.

I would hate to deal Stewart, for all we know he could be a top 3 pitcher in the minors at this point next year. I am excited for his first full year of ball in 2014! Is he even trade eligible at this point? If we can trade for Miller without giving up a top 4 prospect by all means do it. After watching the WS, though, it is apparent St. Louis is ready to win now and wants an upgrade at SS.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 200 Times in 115 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd be open to a Buxton for Miller trade personally but I think they're looking for a SS

Oh, they want a SS? Well shoot, that takes us out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by twinscowboysbulls View Post
    I don't believe we can trade Stewart til June. Rosario+Thorpe+Perkins+Hicks would probably get it done, no? I wouldn't do that trade.
    No that wouldn't get it done, and yes I would pull the trigger on that trade in a heartbeat if it would get it done.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    I don't think the Twins match up well....the Cards want MLB players that help next year. SS being the key spot. Other than Mauer, they don't have a single MLB player the Cards would want, imo.
    Lighten up Francis....

Oh, they want a SS? Well shoot, that takes us out of it.

Liked 35 Times in 27 Posts
    I don't think they're shopping him too hard. It looks like the Cards turned down an offer of JJ Hardy for Miller. I don't know if there was anything else to that deal, but it looks to me that the only way we could get him would be if we had a stud SS and gave up a Buxton or Sano. I would be against any deal involving Sano or Buxton.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...by-miller.html
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I don't think they're shopping him too hard. It looks like the Cards turned down an offer of JJ Hardy for Miller. I don't know if there was anything else to that deal, but it looks to me that the only way we could get him would be if we had a stud SS and gave up a Buxton or Sano. I would be against any deal involving Sano or Buxton.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...by-miller.html
    That would have been a terrible trade for the Cards.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    No that wouldn't get it done, and yes I would pull the trigger on that trade in a heartbeat if it would get it done.
    No way the Cards would do that deal. They're competing for a WS Championship, not looking to bolster an already stacked farm system. They're pushing hard for a 1st division SS, Shelby Miller will go in a trade for Tulo or one of Profar or Andrus, otherwise he's staying put.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We've had a similar discussion not long ago:

http://www.twinsdaily.com/showthread...=shelby+miller

Blog Entries
    I've read elsewhere that the Cards are interested in Tulo. I could see a deal around Tulo and Miller working for both sides.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    M guess is that the Rockies would want both Miller and Tarvares to even start taking about Tulo.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beckmt View Post
    M guess is that the Rockies would want both Miller and Tarvares to even start taking about Tulo.
    For a SS who has played 140+ games in 3 out of 7 seasons? He is also owed $118M for the next 6 years whereas Miller is cost controlled for the next 5? years.

I'd settle for Joe Kelly if the Twins don't have the available pieces for Shelby Miller.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 71 Times in 49 Posts
    Twins just don't match up with the Cards at all.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics Guy View Post
    For a SS who has played 140+ games in 3 out of 7 seasons? He is also owed $118M for the next 6 years whereas Miller is cost controlled for the next 5? years.
    You are talking about the best SS in the game currently Yes, he is that good.

Member Rookie
    Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I doubt they'd take it, but I wouldn't make that deal either. Ignoring that Rosario's bat would likely play presently in an MLB corner outfield (where a year or so of innings would bring him to being a +/++ defender, based on the initial reports of him in CF) and that selling low on Hicks would be a questionable-at-best decision-I just can't believe teams are that interested in Miller.

The Cards have had him pegged with "coachability" issues for ages (when there are multiple stories from different time periods about a "new attitude", it's a red flag), KLaw, amongst others, has questioned his competitive spirit with regards to his time in the minors and he was suspended in 2011 for one too many booze-fueled fights (read: more than one)*.

His name has come up as a possible trade piece fairly often in the last few years. When an organization like the Cardinals goes slow with a pitcher's promotion and only has him pitch 4 ultra-low-leverage innings in relief in the playoffs, it raises my eyebrows. Combined with his off-field history and general attitude issues, I wouldn't be discussing Stewart at all and would be hesitant to include anything major next to Rosario.

*That's not to denigrate anyone with alcohol or other addiction issues. I believe it relates to an impulse control and maturity issue with him. I do not mean to imply that alcoholics, addicts or others struggling with dependence of any form are somehow weak, of inferior character or lacking in willpower.

Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts
    I think there will be a trade for a young pitcher, but it won't be anyone of Millers cost level. Buxton, Sano, Meyer, Stewart are untouchable, anybody else I would listen on. I would look to trade a package with a Dozier/ Perkins/ Arcia/ Rosario type centerpiece.
    "Professionalism - When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S Thompson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast