Thread: Should the Twins Try Acquiring Matt Wieters?

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Should the Twins Try Acquiring Matt Wieters?

Would love to hear your thoughts on my latest article which can be found by clicking here: http://twinsdaily.com/entry.php?b=4628

I know it may be a long shot, but would it be worth the Twins' while?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 70 Times in 48 Posts
    When I first read this I couldn't help but think about it. When Wieters was a prospect he was once called Joe Mauer but with power. Obviously his hit tool has taken a step back but he still brings elite D/power. I love the idea of Mauer moving to 1B and being able to mentor Wieters. I believe he could really help the kid.

The problem is it is a pipe dream. Wieters is two years away from FA and is a Boras client. He isn't a difference maker who is going to put the Twins over the top the next two years before he most likely walks. Also, while he had a down year last year his asking price will still be high. Most likely too high for the Twins. Heck, they wanted Miller for Hardy!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    If the Twins did want to trade for him, now is the time. Buy low. But he would be a two year and "see ya" guy. Boras client that wants to test FA after 2015 season.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    I'm just not interested in trading for a guy who will go looking for big money about the time this team is hopefully ready to contend. I'm not giving away decent prospects for two years of capable catcher play during rebuilding years.

They Twins aren't going to give Weiters a big money contract, nor should they. His value still seems to be driven by his prospect hype and he has not lived up to it. Not even close.

Liked 35 Times in 27 Posts
    Short answer, no. If the Twins feel they need to add a catcher for a short amount of time, go after a free agent. All that is going to cost you is money, not a prospect.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member Double-A SgtSchmidt11's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd make a call see what's going on but I wouldn't put my heart into it if I were Terry. Not likely but worth looking into.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I'm just not interested in trading for a guy who will go looking for big money about the time this team is hopefully ready to contend. I'm not giving away decent prospects for two years of capable catcher play during rebuilding years.

They Twins aren't going to give Weiters a big money contract, nor should they. His value still seems to be driven by his prospect hype and he has not lived up to it. Not even close.

+1

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 342 Times in 195 Posts
    Last year was a dip, but you're still talking about an elite defender who had an OPS+ of 107 and 110 the previous two years. He's not the special player he was hoped to be, but given his ability defensively at a premium position and relative offensive strength - he's going to be extremely pricey.

I'm just not sure he's worth it given the Twins will be unlikely to retain him long-term.