Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Liked 46 Times in 23 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: My Top 10 Minnesota Twins Starting Pitching Targets

Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 63 Times in 42 Posts
    I'd be pretty happy with any of these guys and hope the Twins add two of them. I'd add Phil Hughes to this list and mention that I'm a lot more wary of Kazmir than most people seem to be. Yes, he has a nice krate but his bWAR, IP, ERA+ were all lower than Correia's last year. I'm not sure I trust FIP and fangraphs WAR over b-r right now.

It'd be interesting to see if the Twins would add two bigger names - say Garza and Jimenez to grow with Gibson, Meyer, May and Worley.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Delightful!

Blog Entries
    I had Hughes 11th on my list, as I have major concerns with the fact that he hasn't ever had a good season as a starter. I really hope the Twins do add two guys from this list. I think that act would energize the team and the fans, while obviously improving the team in the short and hopefully long-term.

Brad - your writing cracks me up. I'm assuming you are referencing Heideman in your fantasy statement.

There seems to be a lot of 'decent/cheap/better than what we currently have' type pitchers available on the market this year. And, really, we only have Correia and maybe Gibson as for sure starters next year. So, personally, I think you go and get at least three, maybe four starters and hope they do well enough to flip them at the trade deadline. Arroyo, Josh Johnson, Johan, and Hammel would be my preference. In all, that would probably cost the team 30 millionish. Then you have backup options in Deduno, Albers, Diamond, Hermson, May, Worley, Meyer, etc.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    Nice article. You really sold me on some of these guys especially Ubaldo

My 2014 preferred rotation

Ubaldo Jiminez - You sold me on him
    Josh Johnson/Kazmir -
    Homer Bailey - trade anyone but Buxton/Meyer/Sano to get him and extend
    Kyle Gibson
    Correia

This is a rotation could vault us back into the conversation. With our prospects coming up on the offensive side and Meyer we could be set up to contend for a wild card (best case scenario) and definitely be setting ourselves up for a nice 2015 team.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 290 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like this list. I'd prioritize in reverse order. Realistically, if we can sign Arroyo and Kazmir, I'd be ecstatic.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    I'm a Hughes fan. His extreme fly-ball tendencies will play much better at Target Field than NYC and I feel like we'd be buying low on him. He misses enough bats to be a plus starter. I like him better than Arroyo (whose age, lack of Ks, and National League pedigree scare me) or Jimenez (whose peripherals and velocity keep sliding and has a bumpy track record. plus, what if he's actually even older than we think he is? Again?!?).

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
    Good list. I'm lower than you on Haren and Kazmir, but other than that I think it is a good list. And I agree with the everyone else that I hope the Twins sign two from this list. That would be a successful offseason.

Actually, I revise my prior list. I say we get at least Johan, Arroyo and Kazmir. If possible, add another flyer guy like Josh Johnson, Hammel, Feldman, or Bruce Chen.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good list, I am higher on Kazmir and lower on Jimmenez and Haren(do not want) and also Hughes.

Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I like this list. I'd prioritize in reverse order. Realistically, if we can sign Arroyo and Kazmir, I'd be ecstatic.

I could not agree more! These are the two guys that I not only want, but think is most realistic for our Twin. Why are people not including Deduno in their "rotation I'd like to see for next year?" I love Deduno as a #5 starter. Personally, I'd love to see the following:

Arroyo
    Kazmir
    Gibson
    Correia
    Deduno

With Meyer coming up maybe late in the year to take the place of whoever is doing the worst of Gibson/Correia. I'm not sold on Gibson after watching him last year but am hoping the "2nd year after TJ surgery" success some guys have had applies to him. What I'm worried about seeing from the Twins is the following.

Arroyo
    Pelfrey
    Gibson
    Correia
    Diamond/Deduno

This would make me cry. Literally. And I'm seriously concerned about this being a real possibility.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
    Good list, great writing!

I'm warming to the idea of Arroyo so long as he is the #2 signing to compliment a #1 SO king/ flame-throwa/young gun w/upside. Sounds like Kazmir- I'll have to look into hi in more detail.

Arroyo could be a good influence on guys like Albers, otherwise flag down Jamie Moyer's RV and park him at Target Field for the summer to mentor our soft-throwers and show 'em how it's done. NL pedigree is not a red flag, but a plus- advantage P when switching leagues. Agree that Deduno has upside if he can control it/find a mentor. Albers has upside, too, with the right coaching.

Johan should not be a part of this conversation- 2 (!) capsule ops? Ok, if it's a short, all-incentives, prove-it deal, fine. Reunion-wise, Garza gets the nod.

The point (halfchest) about hanging on to our prospects is right on target. For once, Twins have cash & an owner willing to spend (+ the $25m TV money), so use it. Let's get ready for Sano & Buxton now. Overpaying is likely to be the norm this off-season, but we can afford "reasonable overpay" if the deal is right (a la #2 Johnson).

CBS has a story confirming Twins are looking for 2 vets; seeing the name Zito on this list scares the willies out of me. Makes the prospect of the Singing Saturn Nut seem tame by comparison.

If anyone can explain the addiction to pitch-to-contact Ps when we have a pitcher-friendly park + a glut of good-D OFs (and gaping holes at SS & 3B) then I would be most enlightened.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...-for-the-twins

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries

Strib Article on Scott Boros and Pelfrey

Mike Pelfrey says he wants to be here, and his numbers were not that great last season to worry about a lot of bidders (any second year after Tommy John optimism will be muted). Boros is only a big problem if he has other bidders. My prediction: Mike will end out back here on a two year deal and put up mediocre numbers (an improvement from last year's uneven performance).

Yes, bring back Garza. With Bartlett at short, it would be just like we never traded them. Add in free-agent Johan Santana, and we can really be the Twins of old...especially if we also bring back A.J. New slogan "The Twins You Missed Are Back!"

Another interesting body would also be Scott Baker, who by spring should be in much better shape than ANYTIME LAST YEAR.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Smcginnity View Post
    Brad - your writing cracks me up. I'm assuming you are referencing Heideman in your fantasy statement.

There seems to be a lot of 'decent/cheap/better than what we currently have' type pitchers available on the market this year. And, really, we only have Correia and maybe Gibson as for sure starters next year. So, personally, I think you go and get at least three, maybe four starters and hope they do well enough to flip them at the trade deadline. Arroyo, Josh Johnson, Johan, and Hammel would be my preference. In all, that would probably cost the team 30 millionish. Then you have backup options in Deduno, Albers, Diamond, Hermson, May, Worley, Meyer, etc.
    Thanks! You got it; Brad is always hoarding players in fantasy sports.

I completely agree too. The names are fairly interchangeable, but more is better, especially if they don't break the bank on a big name like Garza or Jimenez.
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 343 Times in 196 Posts
    Yeah I'd add Baker to this too. I still think he can turn things around.

Blog Entries
    I had Baker 16, but he was below guys like Tim Hudson and Hiroki Kuroda who have a 0% chance of actually signing here. I like Baker; huge rump.
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    Yes, bring back Garza. With Bartlett at short, it would be just like we never traded them. Add in free-agent Johan Santana, and we can really be the Twins of old...especially if we also bring back A.J. New slogan "The Twins You Missed Are Back!"
    Too bad they missed out on Punto.

My #1 priority would be to sign Josh Johnson to a 1-year deal ($14-16 million?). Twins will probably have to go above market to sign anyone that's modestly desirable. I think he's the only one that has delivered exceptional results in the past, has the ability to anchor a rotation for a winning team, isn't too old, and won't require a multiple year commitment. If things work out well, extend a qualifying offer and/or try to extend him (he might be intrigued by the talent coming up toward the end of 2014). If he fails, at least we tried to materially improve and we can move on in 2015.

Next, I'd target Scott Kazmir (2-years for $25 million or even 3-years and $36 million). We really need a lefty in that rotation, he's relatively young, his stuff looks good, and he's reasonably affordable.

If unsuccessful with either of them, I'd focus on short-term deals with either Dan Haren or Scott Baker, or a mid-length deal for Phil Hughes.

By no later than July, I think our rotation would be:
    - Johnson
    - Meyer (I actually think he should be in the rotation out of spring training)
    - Kazmir
    - 2 of Gibson/Correia/Deduno/May/Diamond/Worley

I'd love to add AJ's grit, durability, leadership and performance, and I'd be happy to give him 1-year and $10 million, if that'd get him back to Minny.

Finally, I'd shoot to add Boone Logan to the pen for 3 years and $12 million, and then dump Duensing (net cost of roster upgrade ~$2 million?). Might be hard to get him for that, but I can't see paying him more than Perkins makes.

Something like $40-42 million for 2014, but not much committed beyond that. Would be rather refreshing to see the Twins at least attempt to field a winning team. They certainly have room to spend that much or more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast