Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Stephen Drew?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer amjgt's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts

Stephen Drew?

There's been a decent amount of talk about us not really having a great SS option at the moment, but I've never heard anyone talk about Stephen Drew.

He's had some injury issues the last couple years (missed about a month last year, and more the year before) and he'd cost us a 2nd round pick, but he'd be a pretty serious upgrade at a position of need.

If I had to choose if we spend on pitching or spend on a position player, I'd pick pitching, but there are only really 2 positions I could advocate us investing on a $10M/year player.... Catcher (short contract) and Shortstop (longer contract)

I've seen projections in the 4/45 range, which a) The Twins could certainly afford, and b) isn't too crazy high

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why are there so few SS options every year? Because by the time they reach FA, most of them are well past their prime and not worth the big money, even though Reyes and Rollins (to name a couple) did cash in. Drew is IMHO declining and certainly not worth the contract he will get.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    I'd pass on him. Florimon's defense is a lot better and Drew might very well be a product of Fenway. He put up a .222/.295/.392 line away from Boston last year. Most players' offensive numbers will take a big hit leaving Fenway.

I'd rather the team try to add one more RH power bat for the corner/DH spot.

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd be happy if the Twins signed Drew. I'd also be okay with them letting him go. He's getting older and his defense is declining. I don't like Florimon as the long term solution, but for the $, he provides value. Every team needs a solid #9 hitter. Florimon has that on lock-down.

If the Twins sign Drew, I'm excited becasue they're going for it. It may not be the best way to spend the Pohlads money, but it's not my money, so spend away. Money might not buy World Series victories, but it sure does give you a push in the right direction.

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My blueprint included signing Drew. There are good arguements for and against the move but my primary thinking is that Florimon has not and will not carry a good enough bat to be the starter.

Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
    No thanks to Drew. A cost benefit analysis dictates that response. I'd be extremely surprised if the Twins signed him. Florimon is an excellent SS who's only played one full season as a starter. I think he's earned an opportunity to come back in 2014 and try and improve his hitting. If he doesn't show any improvement next year or regresses, then maybe you look a little more serious at other options. However, if he improves his hitting, ladies and gentlemen, we have a player.

Does anyone seriously disagree that he at least deserves an opportunity in 2014 to improve upon his hitting from this past year? I can't see him all of a sudden becoming a .300+ hitter, but if he can limit his strike outs, his BA and OBP should improve.

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reider View Post
    No thanks to Drew. A cost benefit analysis dictates that response. I'd be extremely surprised if the Twins signed him. Florimon is an excellent SS who's only played one full season as a starter. I think he's earned an opportunity to come back in 2014 and try and improve his hitting. If he doesn't show any improvement next year or regresses, then maybe you look a little more serious at other options. However, if he improves his hitting, ladies and gentlemen, we have a player.

Does anyone seriously disagree that he at least deserves an opportunity in 2014 to improve upon his hitting from this past year? I can't see him all of a sudden becoming a .300+ hitter, but if he can limit his strike outs, his BA and OBP should improve.
    A perfect example of a VERY good argument on why not to sign him.

The Twins are need of SS and Stephen Drew probably is best available through free Agency. I suggested that could be one of signees for free agency on another thread because Twins are in such serious need of quality short stop. Historically when twins have had good shortstop play they have gone along ways in postseason. The 65, 87, and 91 Twins had probably two of better SS stops that have played for the Twins. The Twins other option is trade for highly reguarded prospect SS but that cost doesn't come cheaply either. I would like to see the Twins fill this need now with longterm solution and at least this would show they are serious of rebuilding this team to compete 2015 and 2016. They have time to fill this need but sooner the better. I can't wait for 2014 season to get over with at least first half until we start seeing prospects hit the Twins line up. Next year is going to be dreadful season my guess is were going to be out the race by mid May. It should give us another round of quality draft picks but that sure won't offset another year of poor team. I just hope second half of season some prospects are up we see some hope for the future with these new players.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Drew would be a minimal upgrade (more offense and less defense) at a cost of 10 millionish per season. I think the goal is for the upgrade to be huge if we have to pay that much like signing a 200 inning pitcher who can have a sub 4.00 era vs a 6.00+ era back of the rotation crap we had last season. I think SS would be better served if we make sure we have a backup on the cheap that can hit a little. If Bartlett can play SS still he may well be a better upgrade if Florimon slumps too much at a fraction of the cost of Drew.

I put him in my blueprint. I'd like him, not a ton, but better than Pedro.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 25 Posts
    Drew will not be pursued at ALL by the Twins. He is constantly on the DL, even to the point that ownership in Arizona thought he was intentionally staying out when doctors had cleared him. Twins want their guys to play ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Siehbiscuit View Post
    Drew will not be pursued at ALL by the Twins. He is constantly on the DL, even to the point that ownership in Arizona thought he was intentionally staying out when doctors had cleared him. Twins want their guys to play ball.
    Since when? I kid, I kid.

Liked 52 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Siehbiscuit View Post
    Spot on. Remember that guy named JJ Hardy?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer amjgt's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    The JJ comp is a decent one. JJ a little slower, but a little better glove?

I literally did a forum search for "Stephen Drew" and "Drew," before starting this thread, and came back with nothing recent. I think the search tool isn't working.

I like Perdo, don't get me wrong. But it's one of the few positional players I can advocate the Twins spending money. All the rest (even Catcher) feel like a stopgap (or waste of money) until a legit prospect gets his opportunity.

I'd be fine with them throwing $30M+ at pitching and not touching the positional spots, but I think we'd all be even more shocked by that than if they actually signed Drew.

Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
    Drew would be a complete waste of $. Florimon is younger, a better SS, arguably more durable, and obviously much cheaper. The only thing Drew has on Florimon is that his hitting is a bit better, but even Drew's numbers aren't all that impressive (.253 batting average) and his numbers outside of Fenway Park are even less impressive (.222 BA .287 OBP). Signing Drew for big money makes no sense at all.

It makes much more sense to give Florimon a chance to improve his hitting in 2014 and if he can't do that, then look at other options at SS. And if they are going to trade for or spend big $ on a quality SS, then get someone that is a much better fit than Drew. Obviously it would have been nice if the Twins would have just kept J.J Hardy, but I guess sometimes life just doesn't work out that way.