Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twins Sign Fryer

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries

Twins Sign Fryer

According to Mike Berardino, the Twins have signed Eric Fryer to a split contract. He'll make the league minimum with the Twins and if he is in the minor leagues, he will, obviously, make a lot less.

He remains on the 40 man roster.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Was it Shane that said he would be our opening day starter? I think his odds just increased...

I just don't see how the FO can see this as a move that is improving the roster. I realize they don't consider this a blockbuster either, but...

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This just blows my mind. It blows my mind. It blows it completely out of this universe. Good god!!!

And are people STILL going to be willing to criticize me for that TR interview in the handbook about TR mentioning Fryer as a positive?

This blows my mind.

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What does this signing mean for his 40-man roster status? With several roster decisions that need to be made in the coming days (Achter, Kepler, Wimmers, etc) it seems to me that Fryer could be cut from the 40-man and exposed to the rule-5 without much worry to make sure that prospects are covered, room is left for FA signings and a rule-5 pickup for the Twins.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The minimum is $500,000. Fryer's deal is for $515,000.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Did it raise from 480,000?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Does anybody know if this means he is required to be on the 40 man roster? Or can they drop him off and stash him at AAA. I ask bc I am unable to fathom him getting a roster spot

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    He is on the 40 man roster now, he can be DFAd ,but risk having him claimed

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Without Mauer catching and Doumit being who he is, this is a no risk move that adds competition to the prospects at catcher. What the heck, why not? As long as we don't end up losing a real prospect in rule V, why not?

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    According to the article, he made $500,000 (pro-rated) last year. This is a split-contract, so he'd only make the pro-rated portion of $515k when he is in the majors. It really doesn't change anything from two days ago, besides the timing of this suggesting the team plans to keep him on the roster through the winter. He also has an option remaining, so the likelihood is that he'll be competing with Herrmann for a roster spot, with the loser being the starter in Rochester (subject to change if the team adds a 5th catcher to the 40-man).

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is a lot like the Tim Wood contract last off-season. He was handed a 40-man spot too. The Twins can remove him from the roster tomorrow if necessary, they still have this ability plus there are some others (BJ Hermsen) who can move off as well.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 288 Times in 150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    This just blows my mind. It blows my mind. It blows it completely out of this universe. Good god!!!

And are people STILL going to be willing to criticize me for that TR interview in the handbook about TR mentioning Fryer as a positive?

This blows my mind.
    Shane, don't bottle it up- share your feelings. We're here to help.

Liked 3,167 Times in 1,356 Posts
    I don't get the angst. Twins move one career .400 OBP catcher to first base, find another, and people complain. Sheesh.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

I am with you Shane. Not sure how the Twins can consider Fryer to be a legitimate option at Catcher. JUST SHOW YOUR COLORS TR. Cut Fryer and start hunting for a catcher in FA, for a real baseball playing catcher.

TR teaching moment of the day. Remember kids, Fryer has some positives and Pinto had a GOOD, not great month. Tear down the young kid who actually played very well, build up the vet with no skill set.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The only thing that surprises me is the timing. These types of contracts typically happen right around spring training. All this means is that he'll stay on the 40 man through the Rule 5 draft.

I guess I don't completely get it, but he's not old, and he's terrific behind the plate. We write so much negative about the defense of Pinto and Doumit, yet when they keep a guy like Fryer, it's for the offense.

Overall, this isn't a big deal and doesn't stop them from signing anyone at all, including catchers, though I wouldn't prioritize catchers as a big need.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Overall, this isn't a big deal and doesn't stop them from signing anyone at all, including catchers, though I wouldn't prioritize catchers as a big need.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think the angst has as much to do with free agency roster spots as much as it does the crunch already created with the Rule V threat. I'd hope guys like Vargas, Wimmers and Kepler had priority for 40 man spots. Things are getting tight again, but as mentioned, cuts can still be made.

He isn't going to get selected in the Rule 5 Draft...Absolutely no reason to do this move right now, as you stated, timing is odd. The only thing this moves says to me is, were fine with our current catching options.

I can't see Kepler being selected in the Rule 5 either, not sure how someone could keep him on the roster all year long, same with Wimmers. Although, Wimmers is more likely to get selected in my eyes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast