Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Twins Sign Fryer

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Terry Ryan got Solimon for Buetera last year so maybe plus defensive catchers have more value than we think. Having one good defensive catcher is not a bad thing.

It looks like the Twins have 36 guys on the 40 man roster and can easily cut Colabello, Parmelee, Hermsen etc if they need room. So I don't think there's much to worry about. I suspect it's much more likely that we add someone in the rule v draft than lose someone.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscowboysbulls View Post
    He isn't going to get selected in the Rule 5 Draft...Absolutely no reason to do this move right now, as you stated, timing is odd. The only thing this moves says to me is, were fine with our current catching options.
    Actually, I think it says the opposite. He's the only plus defender we have and I suspect Ryan would like to upgrade that but wanted at least one good defender back there.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 123 Times in 89 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This kind of thing honestly makes me kinda hope for a loss of somebody in the rule 5. As a kind of punishment for dumb roster moves. Clearly middle relievers are pretty replaceable, but I would like to see players who have come up through the system get a chance. Losing a Dakota Watts isn't that big of a deal, but if such a thing happens it is because of Eric Fryer.

This should come as no surprise given that, I believe, Fryer was the first "positive" mentioned in that interview in the handbook. Am I wrong about that? Wasn't he actually the first person named by Terry Ryan? They are not adding another catcher, I can almost guarantee you that.

An excellent defender at catcher is a luxury item for teams that can score runs and are willing to sacrifice offense for defense because they can. We don't have the "luxury" of that problem. We need a catcher that is going to produce a bit. I'd take a year of AJ, to let Pinto tinker with his defense for a portion of this season and then take over.

Is this board going to be okay heading into the season with our catchers in Minneapolis being Fryer, Pinto and Doumit? I'd be very opposed to that. I'd much rather go AJ/Doumit/Herrmann. - Pinto for Herrmann at midpoint or when defense is plausible. AJ could be worth something at the deadline as well.

Part of me hopes what you said Shane, the other part hopes that Fryer quits baseball to become a janitor at his hometown school district.

This is strange...shades of Drew Butera. What it means that if the Twins do waive him from the 40-man, and another team claims him, they are responsible for the contract he signed with the Twins, which the team probably wouldn't want to take on. That keeps him from being claimed as a Rule 5, too. In that way, it is good. Keeping him on the 40-man is bad.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Please stop, Fryer will not be selected in the Rule 5.

Senior Member All-Star
    An excellent defender at catcher is a luxury item for teams that can score runs and are willing to sacrifice offense for defense because they can. We don't have the "luxury" of that problem. We need a catcher that is going to produce a bit. I'd take a year of AJ, to let Pinto tinker with his defense for a portion of this season and then take over.

Is this board going to be okay heading into the season with our catchers in Minneapolis being Fryer, Pinto and Doumit? I'd be very opposed to that. I'd much rather go AJ/Doumit/Herrmann. - Pinto for Herrmann at midpoint or when defense is plausible. AJ could be worth something at the deadline as well.
    Actually, a good defensive catcher might help our young pitchers. Someone posted an article here a month or so ago that showed that Gibson was one of the most robbed pitchers in baseball on strike calls. The theory being that Mauer was too big to let the umps see the bottom of the zone (where sinker guys throw) and Doumit couldn't frame worth crud.

And Fryer is a better offensive catcher than Herrmann.

Blog Entries
    I would bet cash money that Herrmann would have a better offensive year than Eric Fryer.

And Fryer certainly would not even have been remotely considered by any other team in the rule 5 draft.

So because Mauer was big it only hurt Gibson's pitches? That doesn't make sense to me, this would mean that Mauer hurts ALL of our pitchers. That problem is gone, Mauer is no longer a catcher. By that notion, all of our pitcher's stats should go up and that is just not true. If that's the case, get a smaller catcher, all of the ones I have listed are that.

Which young pitchers are you talking about?
    We only have 8 pitchers on the 40-man that are under the age of 28 and of those 8, I only give Gibson, Ibarra, May, Pressley, Tonkin and Thielbar a chance of being successful. If you want Fryer helping our young pitchers, send him down to AA. He isn't going to get selected in the Rule 5, we will have that option.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    I would bet cash money that Herrmann would have a better offensive year than Eric Fryer.

And Fryer certainly would not even have been remotely considered by any other team in the rule 5 draft.
    We have a ton of guys on our 40 man roster who would never be picked in the rule v draft - Parmelee, Colabello (are those two eligible or would they be outright releases? Either way, they wouldn't be taken), Herrmann, Hendriks, Hermsen, Iberra. Fryer has at least one thing that has shown to have value - strong catching defense.

As for Herrmann's offense, sure, I'll take that bet. You can send me $5 bucks at the end of next season.

I'm not arguing on Fryer's strong defense, just asking, but where is this knowledge coming from on his defense?

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't get the angst. He was the starting catcher for a playoff team in the IL that used 20 starting pitchers, while hitting .704. I'm sure they'll sign a veteran to start. They'll keep either Fryer or Hermann as the back-up, and put Pinto in the starting spot in Rochester.

I don't think they consider either Hermann or Doumit catchers. They're utility guys who can catch. But we've seen what happens to the pitching staff when Doumit catches. Hermann is a little better. Pinto is a little better than Hermann defensively, but he still has a lot of rough edges to file off in AAA. Fryer is now the best defensive catcher in the system above A ball. He's the reason they traded Butera.

The only risk is to a roster spot, which is no big deal. AAAA guys get added and subtracted from the 40-man all the time.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Screw it, you convinced me. Let's start him.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,291 Times in 1,751 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    The minimum is $500,000. Fryer's deal is for $515,000.
    That's $15,000 that could have gone toward the posting fee for Tanaka.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Screw it, you convinced me. Let's start him.
    I wouldn't go that far. But depth is good, especially at catcher, where guys tend to get hurt. A lot.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Based on my understanding of the CBA, the Twins really aren't out anything unless they outright release Fryer. If they released him today, he would cost them the minor-league share of his split-contract. They're on the hook for this major league salary if they released him within two weeks of Opening Day. It's all moot, though, because he has an option remaining. They thought they'd lose him on waivers if they tried to get him off of the 40-man.

The other thing I wondered is how many players sign their contract during the winter. The Rockies waived Roenicke - and the Twins claimed him - after he expressed disinterest with the split-contract they offered on November 2 of last year. I'm guessing the agreements just aren't made public (usually) until they put out the press release during Spring Training of all the players now being under contract. We'd have no idea if Berardino didn't report it... I'm wondering how many others are already done.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Fryer is an odd one. He was a college draftee, and always old for his level, but he actually put up some decent hitting seasons in the minors until he got to AAA in 2011, when his average just plummeted to around .200. Even so, last year he posted a ~.150 ISO and ~.100 "isolated discipline" at AAA which blows Butera out of the water.

If his 2013 AAA OPS translates to MLB anything like Butera's, he'd be about a .630 OPS guy. That's Florimon/Escobar (or almost career Punto) territory. Not good for a starter, but not embarrassing for a backup if his defense is legit.

Pinto starting with Fryer as his backup, with Doumit or Hermann able to start in the event of a Pinto injury, wouldn't be the worst situation in the world.

Blog Entries
    gunnarthor, I will take that bet. MLB with some sort of qualifying number of plate appearances.

Anyway, where is the evidence that Pinto was better defensively than Herrmann? That has never been true in the minors.

The "angst" is about the TR interview coupled with this. My guess is that they found out what Salty and A.J. wanted, potentially, and decided to get serious about the 28-year-old Eric Fryer as a major leaguer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12