Article: One Starting Pitcher the Twins should target in a trade

-----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What on earth is that picture!!!!???? Haha.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 79 Times in 49 Posts
    Mastroianni has zero value, Fien has minimal value. Dozier plus a legit prospect would be a starting point, maybe.

It looks like my high school yearbook picture, but less mullet. Not sure if that is a positive, much like this potential acquisition.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Would only want it if we could sign Samardzija to an extension, otherwise he is a two year rental, not worth the price. Rosario is still unproven though likely and the others are expendable, but would not give up Dozier for a two year rental.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
    I think the Cubs hang up pretty quick on that one. The Cubs have a ton of middle infield prospects, I don't think Dozier could be a key to this trade, nor do I think he has all that much value.

The Diamondbacks are reported to be hot on Samardzija and while they won't have to give up Archie Bradley, the rumor is that they should expect to part with Tyler Skaggs. Prospect-wise, you would have to think the Twins would have to give up Alex Meyer to counter. I'm not interested in doing that.

Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Cubs are in practically the exact same position as the Twins. The only reason they'd entertain trading him is because they won't be WS contenders in the next 2 years and they are trying to expedite their rebuild. I highly doubt they'd want MLB talent (ie Dozier), let alone MLB scraps (Fien, Mastroianni). They're going to want prospects. Otherwise, why trade him and still be in the same position?

If anyone doesn't think Theo is smart enough to see his real value (ERA be damned), you're fooling yourself.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 733 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Don't see the Cubs doing this, but it's a good idea if the Twins can get him cheaply. Problem as I see it is that Theo would be very much aware of the same issues you cite.

Any GM offering that for Shark would be the laughing stock of MLB. The Cubs are in the same position as the Twins in that they're stacked with positional prospects but are thin at pitching prospects. If the Cubs trade Shark, they'll want at least 1 TOR SP which would equate to Meyer or Berrios and May. I'm predicting they target a LHP like Skaggs and/or Corbin from the DBacks.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 101 Times in 71 Posts
    Wow, if Ryan called the cubs with that package they would laugh at him and then hang up on him. That package isn't in the ball park of what they want. Here is what Heyman said at the deadline after talking rival executives about what the Cubs want for Samardja:

"Well, the Cubs are basically requesting of teams that they "take whatever they want'' when it comes to a potential Samardzija deal."

The Cubs need pitching prospects. A realistic package starts with Meyer and might have to include Rosario. Pass.

Hey, minor thing: Dozier will start the 2014 season at age 26 and play most of the season at 27. You're basically just a year off, but the year makes a difference when players are usually expected to establish themselves as MLB talent or not by their mid-20s.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would make that trade in a second, but the Cubs wouldnt.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
    The Cubs would laugh at such an offer.

Unintentionally hilarious picture aside, I too think the Cubs would laugh at that offer.

I too agree with the consensus that the cubs would laugh that trade off pretty quickly, but the shark isn't even the most interesting pitcher I'd inquire about. I'd be looking specifically at potentially great pitchers who had down years last year (in no particular oder)
    1. Jeremy Hellickson
    2. Ricky Romero
    3. Chad Billingsley
    4. Yovani Gallardo
    5. Dan Hudson
    6. Trevor Cahill
    7. Brett Anderson

I for one would gladly take a "2-year rental" of Shark. However, if he performed, I'd make every effort to sign him longer term. AussieTwin's list is a good one, but I think "Shark" would be near the top for me. It's an interesting trade, but if I'm the Cubs, I just feel like I'd want a little more, a little "something else." Is Dozier that much better than Darwin Barney (current Cubs 2B)? Fien is O.K. I'd hate to lose him, but give him up in a split second to get "Shark." But to make this possible we have to come up with something other than Mastro, who I think is a dime a dozen kind of guy. It would have to be a minor league pitcher of some note.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 470 Times in 307 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the Cubs would be a tough trade partner for the Twins, because their needs and strengths are similar and they, too, are rebuilding. Billingsley and Gallardo both look intriguing to me. I suspect there is something seriously wrong with Ricky Romero, and the Twins record with reclamation projects seems to have bottomed out lately.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Why not include E.Jackson in the trade as Theo has stated he was mabye premature in signing him (code for that didnt work out )this would allow the Cubs to chase Tanaka or who ever Else they taget...and we get 2 pitchers who were better then Half of the players we ran out to the mound last year as starters. Include Correia(cheaper and better then Jackson) Duensing (gonna save Ryan some green) Fien and Bard, Since Theo signed his brother this looks like a good match or landing place for him

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It would take Dozier, Berrios, and Harrison.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beckmt View Post
    Would only want it if we could sign Samardzija to an extension, otherwise he is a two year rental, not worth the price. Rosario is still unproven though likely and the others are expendable, but would not give up Dozier for a two year rental.
    Isnt he under team controll through the 2016 season?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast