Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ten Predictions for 2014

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It would be cool (or hot if I were Paris Hilton) if there were September 2014 lineups of:

1. Buxton, CF
    2. Mauer, 1B
    3. Sano, 3B
    4. Arcia, DH
    5, Dozier, 2B
    6. Rosario, LF
    7. Pinto, C
    8. Hicks, RF
    9. Florimon, SS

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    It would be cool (or hot if I were Paris Hilton) if there were September 2014 lineups of:

1. Buxton, CF
    2. Mauer, 1B
    3. Sano, 3B
    4. Arcia, DH
    5, Dozier, 2B
    6. Rosario, LF
    7. Pinto, C
    8. Hicks, RF
    9. Florimon, SS
    Arcia is way to young to be a DH and Rosario way more valuable in middle infield to be an OF. I'd rather have Arcia at LF. He is a better fielder already than the starting LFs the Twins have had for half a decade (easy to do, if those were Delmon and Willingham...) I just do not see Buxton in the bigs yet. I want to see him against AA pitchers and he did not do that hot against them in AFL... If he breaks through in New Britain there may be a September call up, but 2015 is more realistic.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Arcia is way to young to be a DH and Rosario way more valuable in middle infield to be an OF. I'd rather have Arcia at LF. He is a better fielder already than the starting LFs the Twins have had for half a decade (easy to do, if those were Delmon and Willingham...) I just do not see Buxton in the bigs yet. I want to see him against AA pitchers and he did not do that hot against them in AFL... If he breaks through in New Britain there may be a September call up, but 2015 is more realistic.
    Way too valuable to play in the outfield? Classic overthinking. I want the best 9 on the field, I dont care what position they play. Sure if you can trade Rosario for a top sp prospect you do it, but what are the odds of that happening? And concerning Arcia, I didnt realize there was an age cutoff to play DH. He is a terrible OF.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 125 Times in 88 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've said this about Arcia before--he has the requisite skills to be a decent outfielder. He was bad in the outfield, but with hard work, he should be able to be an adequate corner OF, at worst. I don't have a problem with him DHing on occasion, but he shouldn't be pigeonholed at the age of 22 (or 24 or 25) as solely a hitter. There are always an abundance of hitters who can no longer play in the field to play DH and it would benefit both the team and the player for Arcia to be considered an outfielder and not just a DH.

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    Way too valuable to play in the outfield? Classic overthinking. I want the best 9 on the field, I dont care what position they play. Sure if you can trade Rosario for a top sp prospect you do it, but what are the odds of that happening? And concerning Arcia, I didnt realize there was an age cutoff to play DH. He is a terrible OF.
    Rosario had around .770 OPS in New Britain. He is a doubles hitter. This is fine in the middle infield but not at corner outfield. There are fewer .770 OPS middle infielders than corner outfielders. Agree about having the best 9 on the field, but likely Rosario will not be among the best 3 OFs.

As far as Arcia goes, there is something called learning skills and developing. Koskie and Morneau were brutal on the field at first. Brutal. But a 23 year old can learn better and be more adequate than a 33 year old with a beaten up body. So there is an age cutoff before you make someone a full time DH.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 125 Times in 88 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I continue to hold out hope for both Diamond and Worley. Both have had a successful season or more "at the major league level" and both are young enough to duplicate that success. While I realize advanced metrics don't provide promise of equalling their previous success, I think it is reasonable to expect results closer to their best than repeats of last year.

We definitely need to see how Rosario and Dozier perform this year - both doing well would be a good problem to have. To me, it seems like the best trades come out of positions of strength. I would probably rather trade one or the other at the deadline for a quality SP prospect - preferably AA or AAA, than convert Rosario back into an outfielder.

Personally, I am more sold on Rosario's bat and ability to be an adequate 2B than I am on Dozier's ability to continue hitting. If Rosario looks like he is going to be able to take the next step, and Dozier can't move to SS, I would probably look to trade Dozier at the deadline.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 168 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post

1. Buxton, CF
    2. Mauer, 1B
    3. Sano, 3B
    4. Arcia, DH
    5, Dozier, 2B
    6. Rosario, LF
    7. Pinto, C
    8. Hicks, RF
    9. Florimon, SS
    With Alex Meyer on the mound, I presume? Hopefully he's up before September, though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12