Thread: Terry Ryan And Spending Responsibly

Terry Ryan And Spending Responsibly

I was listening to the Friday Reusse and Mackey show on my iPod (I live in Milwaukee, so I listen the day after on my way to and from work ... same with Gleeman and the Geek too). They were talking about what seems to be the Twins ownership mandating the team spend money this winter with all they have saved, not many long term contracts (just Mauer) and the 25 mil they got from the TV deal.

They went onto say how it wasn't ownership, Dave St. Peter, or even Ron Gardenhire wanting them to save money ... it's Terry Ryan who doesn't want to spend the money. Terry Ryan is cheap ... even when ownership is encouraging money to be spent. It's like Carl Pohlad cast a spell on TR telling him NEVER to spend the money!

It got me to thinking about the Bible and a parable Jesus told. I'm not using the example as a way to discuss Christianity on a Twins message board. I'm only using it as an example for Terry Ryan to consider:

I give you the following parable from the book of Luke:
    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...27&version=NIV

I won't post everything, but I will post the two verses that I feel relate to Terry Ryan and Twins ownership:

20 “Then another servant came and said, ‘Sir, here is your mina; I have kept it laid away in a piece of cloth. 21 I was afraid of you, because you are a hard man. You take out what you did not put in and reap what you did not sow.’
    22 “His master replied, ‘I will judge you by your own words, you wicked servant! You knew, did you, that I am a hard man, taking out what I did not put in, and reaping what I did not sow? 23 Why then didn’t you put my money on deposit, so that when I came back, I could have collected it with interest?’

My take: The parable is about three servants and their master. The master gives them money and tells them to go do something with it to make more. Two of the three went out and took a chance and ended up making more. The third (as you see above) did nothing and just hid it so he didn't lose it.

We'll say Terry Ryan is the third GM and the other two GM's are take your pic ... Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox, etc. The Twins have given Terry Ryan money for once in his life and told him to go spend it. Even though we know the money will be invested in awful contracts, Terry Ryan still has the go ahead. We're in a prime position to take on a couple of bad contracts in later years since all we have is Mauer on the books. We will still have the money to extend Sano, Buxton, and others if/when need be even with being in the last few years of a Garza deal for example.

Terry Ryan needs to realize Carl isn't his boss anymore. Carl's son seems more willing to spend money. Terry Ryan needs to realize the Twins don't live in the Metrodome anymore. We now have a ballpark that brings in revenue to the team. Terry Ryan needs to realize that fan support is more important than ever in the history of the team. We're done with the studio baseball era. Target Field needs to be filled. The way it'll be filled is if the team is competitive. The fans are done with 3 90 loss seasons in a row. The Twins are the last team in Minnesota to show the fans they want to spend.

Consider it ... the Wild spent on Parise and Suter. The Vikings spent on Favre, Allen, and even more recently Greg Jennings since they knew their WR's sucked and had to do something (wanting to build through the draft, but know they need some free agent help). The Wolves even went into FA this offseason and got Kevin Martin and Corey Brewer to improve the team.

What's missing from this list ... our Twins.

Newsflash Terry ... get with it or get out. Use the holy book as a guide ... time to spend money that isn't even yours. You need to take a risk because saving the money of your owners (masters) isn't working anymore.

AMEN!

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sunday Sermons...

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    I understand people like to make complex situations simple. To do so much detail gets left out. Free agency is not like going to the market and buying a slave. There are two classes of players on the open market. Those that many teams want and those that might be expensive for what you get. The ones that many want have choices and can have a bit of insanity with the contract. The latter is sort of like buying a used car. Either case is not a sure thing. The parable does not address the situation of the servant who spent the money lavishly and ended up with nothing.
    Salary cap sports have nothing in common with baseball. Wide receivers sucked so the Vikings spent their available cash on Jennings. There was no money for the defense. The Wild spent where they did and had to give up Clutterbuck and other players for little or nothing. They did better last year. No hardware

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We often see things through the events and circumstances of our lives. I have no problem with putting correlations together, whether a sitcom or the Bible. We all have values (known and unknown) that we base decisions on. That said, we can't force our value/decision system on anyone. But I like your parallel - basically, be responsible with what you've been given. I don't think any one would argue with that in theory.

That said, again, don't be foolish. Don't get tied into bad contracts that are long term.

I don't believe (there's my belief system) Nolasco, Arroyo, or Garza are worth 4-5 year deals for $12M-$14M annually. Maybe they will prove me wrong, whether they sign with the Twins or not.

I really feel .500 seasons in 2016, 2017 are feasible. I don't the Twins hand-tied financially those years. John Lackey is the only comparable signing (age, previous production, and salary range of next contract) and he had one average season (2013) and three bad seasons. I'd have less of a problem shelling out $20M annually to a guy who's 25-28 for 4-5 years who's top of the line and could be a contributor in 2016 and 2017. Zack Greinke type.

I love how mature Chris Carpenter is for the Cardinals. He got older, he got hurt, but was very involved in an active mentor role to the up and coming young Cardinal pitchers. If Roy Halladay can still pitch every 6th day. I'd love for him to be there for Alex Meyer and co. He has a tremendous work ethic, game preparation, and is a coach at heart. I'd make a pitch to older pitchers, if you have any aspirations of a career in coaching, then come here, we promise to give you a shot at a spot in the organization.
    Last edited by twinsfan34; 11-17-2013 at 03:50 PM.

Liked 358 Times in 203 Posts
    Apparently Perk could have consulted on this!

Dustin Morse
    ‏@Twins_morsecode
    3h

Is there anything this guy can't do?
    @glen_perkins with the surprise sermon at church today. Nice job #PastorPerkpic.twitter.com/VQpJwAdEi3

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Well I hope God does bless you and my team =)

I love how you take a chance with this post.. another parable I see is Emperor's New Clothes

Super Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Liked 794 Times in 493 Posts
    Moderator note: If you all can't keep to topic, then don't say anything.
    "Peace, love, dope! Now get the hell out!"
    Resistance is Sisyphusian!

Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    Moderator note: If you all can't keep to topic, then don't say anything.
    Sir, it was all in good fun.

Super Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Liked 794 Times in 493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    Sir, it was all in good fun.
    While I left your original comment initially, it seemed to attract posts that were not leading to any fun so decided to just delete the lot of them before this thread derailed completely.

And further note, before calling me sir again, I suggest you review your anatomy.

Thank you all.
    "Peace, love, dope! Now get the hell out!"
    Resistance is Sisyphusian!