Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Jim Callis: Buxton's Batting Titles & who's on Second - Dozier/Rosario/Polanco

  1. #1
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    618
    Like
    193
    Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    13

    Jim Callis: Buxton's Batting Titles & who's on Second - Dozier/Rosario/Polanco


  2. #2
    Owner All-Star John Bonnes's Avatar
    Posts
    2,441
    Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Like
    1
    Liked 161 Times in 95 Posts
    Blog Entries
    241
    Two interesting takes here. First, he likes Oscar Tavares more than Buxton, though he does think Buxton could win batting championships. Also, he's a believer in Rosario, but sees him starting out in AA next year?

    "Rosario figures to start 2014 in Double-A and Polanco probably will begin next season in high Class A. If Rosario, a converted outfielder, can improve his defense, he's the best bet to be the Twins' second baseman of the future. Polanco could have the best all-around tools of the trio but needs the most development."

  3. #3
    Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Posts
    2,272
    Like
    241
    Liked 462 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    A good problem to have. Rosario spent some time in the AFL in left field. That might become his ultimate destination if Dozier continues to progress or Polanco can't handle short. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts the year at AA, but quickly progresses to AAA, especially if they want to try him in left for a while. He hit .284/.330/.412 there in 313 PAs in 2013. It's not like he dominated or anything. If he dominates, he can move quickly.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

  4. #4
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    305
    Like
    13
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    he likes Oscar Tavares more than Buxton,
    I think it is important to re-iterate that he likes Tavares' HIT tool more than Buxton's. He has said repeatedly that Buxton is the better prospect.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    795
    Like
    15
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rosario will probably start in AAA. Could see the Twins trading Dozier if they can get a very good pitcher(or prospect in return). Next year will probably still not matter, so I would not be opposed to that line(sell high). Could even see Rosario (if Dozier is traded, starting in Minnesota).

  6. #6
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,293
    Like
    32
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    I think people have gotten way ahead of themselves with Rosario. He did alright in AA but he didn't dominate and he isn't an elite talent like Buxton/Sano. I would be very surprised if he only spent 90 games in low A (2012), 50 games in high A and 70 games in AA before moving up to AAA. His plate discipline also nosedived in AA.

    I think he spends most of the year in the minors giving the Twins another year before a Dozier/Rosario issue is an issue.

  7. #7
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,993
    Like
    4
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    67
    Rosario will start in AA. He showed promise there, but it wasn't overwhelming. If he starts out well, a quick move to AAA will happen. I always, basically, like the idea of in-season promotions for a taste of the next level with these kinds of players. Rosario got it and was solid, but still a definite work in progress.

    The Polanco question is a little odd because I don't see anything there to indicate he arrives with the Twins until 2016. That said, I wouldn't mind him back at SS in the minors in 2014.

  8. #8
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,836
    Like
    176
    Liked 663 Times in 374 Posts
    I thought his reasoning for liking Tavares more was because of his success t higher levels. Which is a very valid point.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    199
    Like
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    I think people have gotten way ahead of themselves with Rosario. He did alright in AA but he didn't dominate and he isn't an elite talent like Buxton/Sano. I would be very surprised if he only spent 90 games in low A (2012), 50 games in high A and 70 games in AA before moving up to AAA. His plate discipline also nosedived in AA.
    It's pretty hard to be in the same category of Buxton and Sano. I don't think his plate discipline really plummeted; it's never been very good and it really got exposed against some of the best minor league pitchers. He does still have incredible contact ability and surprising pop. Though I wouldn't disagree with starting him in AA until midseason or he starts forcing the issue.

  10. #10
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,293
    Like
    32
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wins87 View Post
    It's pretty hard to be in the same category of Buxton and Sano. I don't think his plate discipline really plummeted; it's never been very good and it really got exposed against some of the best minor league pitchers. He does still have incredible contact ability and surprising pop. Though I wouldn't disagree with starting him in AA until midseason or he starts forcing the issue.
    I'm not sure how you assess plate discipline but his K rate went from 16% (2012) and 12% (Ft Myers) to 21% (AA). He has never walked a lot but his BB rate has stayed about the same.

    Perhaps plate discipline isn't really the right term since we don't know if he was expanding the strike zone (bad plate discipline) or if he was swinging through strikes (overmatched) but he certainly hasn't earned a promotion to AAA nor will he be rushed to the majors this season like some think.

  11. #11
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,112
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Didn't we learn anything from the Aaron Hicks fiasco?

    Good-but-not-great prospects should be put on a "slow and steady" path to the majors and at no point should they be rushed past their ability level. Rosario should start in AA, earn his way to AAA, and only then should we see him in Minnesota. July at the earliest, maybe not in 2014 at all.

  12. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Steve Penz (12-05-2013)

  13. #12
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    199
    Like
    0
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Didn't we learn anything from the Aaron Hicks fiasco?

    Good-but-not-great prospects should be put on a "slow and steady" path to the majors and at no point should they be rushed past their ability level. Rosario should start in AA, earn his way to AAA, and only then should we see him in Minnesota. July at the earliest, maybe not in 2014 at all.
    Don't like the comparison. Rosario has flat out made better contact through the minors and been pushed much quicker, Hicks spent a full two years in low A and never moved through a level in less than a year.

  14. #13
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    313
    Like
    4
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by iastfan112 View Post
    Don't like the comparison. Rosario has flat out made better contact through the minors and been pushed much quicker, Hicks spent a full two years in low A and never moved through a level in less than a year.
    Agreed & well stated.

    I like the idea of these guys who are fast movers starting in AAA and getting their timing & confidence going before being promoted to the majors mid season. That where the Rosario suspension really hurts, it pushes him back to 2015 almost guaranteed.

    Also Rosario has been putting up strong hitting numbers at every level while being very young compared to the average age of players in those leagues. He isn't a Sano/Buxton level prospect but pretty close to Arcia. Rosario put up fairly similar #'s to Arcia at the same levels/ages with a little less power.

  15. #14
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    305
    Like
    13
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor0333 View Post
    Rosario put up fairly similar #'s to Arcia at the same levels/ages with a little less power.
    Just a couple of nits to pick (especially since I really like Rosario as a prospect)...

    First, you do realize that Rosario is only 4 months younger than Arcia, right? Second, Arcia was a MONSTER at AA last year, with an OPS of .955 while Rosario (at an age 8 months older) hit 'only' .755. I don't think a 200 point difference constitutes a 'little less power'.

    In regards to promotion for the vast majority of prospects, I think it is more important to focus on what the player can't do (or does not do well) instead of what they CAN do. Yes, I realize that Rosario's bat may be ready for the AAA test, but I really want him to be a second baseman and if he is still struggling with the glove, I don't think you will see what his bat is truly capable of.

  16. #15
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    313
    Like
    4
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by TRex View Post
    Just a couple of nits to pick (especially since I really like Rosario as a prospect)...

    First, you do realize that Rosario is only 4 months younger than Arcia, right? Second, Arcia was a MONSTER at AA last year, with an OPS of .955 while Rosario (at an age 8 months older) hit 'only' .755. I don't think a 200 point difference constitutes a 'little less power'.

    In regards to promotion for the vast majority of prospects, I think it is more important to focus on what the player can't do (or does not do well) instead of what they CAN do. Yes, I realize that Rosario's bat may be ready for the AAA test, but I really want him to be a second baseman and if he is still struggling with the glove, I don't think you will see what his bat is truly capable of.
    I didnt realize that, I thought he was a year & a few months younger actually. Rosario slumped badly to start at AA and came on much better after the bad start. So his OPS was a bit better than the overall .755 he posted. The other thing with Rosario is he can play defense, I LOVE Arcia's confidence & aggresiveness at the plate but he is mediocre at best in the field.

    So prospect level wise I think Arcia & Rosario are pretty fair comparisons overall. If Buxton is a A+ Arcia & Rosario are B+ level for comparison sake. If Rosario can be a good defender at 2B I would maybe rate him slightly over Arcia, if he's a corner OF I think I'd place him a tad below Arcia.

    My point was more so people are too willing to give up on Rosario under rating how good of a prospect he is due to the very high level guys in Buston, Sano, & Meyer stealing the spotlight.
    Last edited by Trevor0333; 12-07-2013 at 10:53 PM.

  17. #16
    Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Posts
    1,235
    Like
    8
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    Jim Callis: Buxton's Batting Titles & who's on Second - Dozier/Rosario/Polanco
    No what's on second. Who's on first.

  18. #17
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    644
    Like
    5
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    The Polanco question is a little odd because I don't see anything there to indicate he arrives with the Twins until 2016. That said, I wouldn't mind him back at SS in the minors in 2014.
    Polanco is on the 40 man roster so that escalates his time frame. And his so / bb is insanely good - especially when you consider his age. Ryan has said he stays at SS and if he does well there, he should end 2014 in AA. He's playing really well in winterball and he could be in the team mid 2015.
    Last edited by clutterheart; 12-08-2013 at 01:53 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.