Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neal: AJ, Hawkins, Trade, Polanco

Liked 109 Times in 59 Posts
    Blog Entries

Neal: AJ, Hawkins, Trade, Polanco

In his offseason blog post, Strib reporter La Vell E. Neal III has lots of notes on the Twins and their minors, and couple of interesting hunches. The reports are that:

• Twins would like to bring back AJ to shake up the locker room a little but AJ is pretty popular and will play the process out.
    • If Santana returns, he would be like Harden - invisible until (if ever) healthy
    • He wouldn't be surprised if the Twins contacted LaTroy Hawkins
    • IN general, Twins are looking for guys who have won before.
    • Jorge Polanco will stay at shortstop at least through 2014.

But I thought the most interesting was this:

So their priorities are on upgrading the rotation with a couple quality starters. My sense is that they might end up dealing for one, with a package that includes a prospect not named Byron or Miguel.
    Yep, that is talking about trading prospects for pitching. THAT would make an interesting pivot this offseason.

Liked 345 Times in 196 Posts
    We all have to see how this plays out and if "the Tiger really can change his stripes" (i.e. whether Terry Ryan can make himself spend money in free agency or trade prospects).

One of the best things I've seen this off-season are the repeated rumors that the Twins are trying to "shake up the locker room". As I recall, it started with Gardenhire's comment in the October 1 conference call with season ticket holders when, according to Howard Sinker:

"Fan tells Gardy his team lacks clubhouse leader. Gardy: Just because you're a veteran doesn't mean you're a leader. We're in search of that."

Then there are the rumors about the Twins being open to both Garza and Pierzynski -- both of whom are not in the quiet, "nice guy" mold the Twins have favored recently.

I really hope that LEN3 has it right that the Twins are looking to bring one or more different personality types onto this club. Last year this team often seemed like dead men walking.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Polanco will "stay" at shortstop? Does that mean he's getting a chance to prove he's a full-time SS instead of just filling in when Goodrum isn't playing? Would that indicate Polanco might start at Ft. Myers, but Goodrum might start out the season back in Cedar Rapids?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Maybe Polanco starts at New Britian, but Ft. Meyers would have a excess of Shortstops.

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You got to add Levi Michael into the equation some place too. Likely New Britain. But Polanco is a better prospect than both Michael and Goodrum at this point, so he should be starting at short.

La Troy Hawkins? Can he start? (rhetorical question.) The Twins have way too many bullpen guys and more in the pipeline at this point
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    La Troy Hawkins? Can he start? (rhetorical question.) The Twins have way too many bullpen guys and more in the pipeline at this point
    The Twins had a lot of nice seasons in the bullpen but I'm skeptical of several of these arms. It's not the most glaring weakness but things could turn ugly in the bullpen next year.

Liked 345 Times in 196 Posts
    I want to see a little vocal leadership added but it would be ludicrous to try to go back to the future with more than 1 or 2 of the veterans who've been mentioned (and it would also depend on what else might be added from outside former Twins).

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Clubhouse leader: thunder without lightning.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    I like LaTroy and I want more vocal personalities on this club. Still, I doubt LaTroy's sage rhetoric can reach from the bullpen to the dugout. This team needs to look for dugout personalities. Last year, in-game shots of the bench looked like the last pew at a 10:00 AM church service.

My favorite Latroy moment was sitting on a folding chair in the bullpen and getting ejected for yelling something at the umpire.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 125 Times in 88 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When I saw Cedar Rapids play, Polanco was the SS. He seems to have good hands and good enough range, but his throws didn't look as strong from short as we see from the likes of Escobar and Florimon. I really don't know if he can be stretched into a major league SS.
    Last edited by stringer bell; 11-18-2013 at 08:26 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I really hope it's not Rosario, he is going to be so much better than some are thinking.

It's hard to say who could be moved prospect wise with so many options. Who realistically is available trade wise?

I've heard Brett Anderson & Smardizja who would be nice but are on a 1 year deal so I can't imagine the price being too high.
    Last edited by Trevor0333; 11-18-2013 at 04:19 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am curious as to who would be willing to trade pitching at this point?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Usually it is a team that has decided to go into a rebuilding stretch and wants to shed a contract. Think Cliff Lee if the Phillies decided they needed to rebuild.

(Now, of course, you are all laughing hysterically at the idea of TR taking on a contract like Lee's. It is pretty difficult to imagine.)
    I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    The trade market is so large and diverse, it's really hard to say. I wouldn't be surprised if he went after a Meyer type. The minimum requirement is a starting pitcher ready to go by the start of 2015. The right partner will find our 5-15 prospects very attractive.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am sorry, but I don't pay much attention to what Neal says about things like this. While I am sure he has lots of Twins sources, there has never been much indication that any of them reach into the GM's office. I doubt if he has any more idea of what Ryan might do this off season than what has been said to the rest of the media.

Hawkins to the Rockies.
    LaTroy Hawkins agrees to one year, 2.5 million deal with the #Rockies to be their closer
    — Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) November 19, 2013

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Most likely someone who hasn't been mentioned at all yet. The Twins are very good at keeping things pretty quiet.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 168 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Most likely someone who hasn't been mentioned at all yet. The Twins are very good at keeping things pretty quiet.
    Yeah, because Denard Span to the Nationals was a big secret.

It's actually pretty hard to predict trades for just about any team, a lot harder than predicting free agent signings or draft picks.

EDIT: Actually, predicting the Twins free agent signings hasn't been very difficult the last few years. I'm pretty sure Pelfrey and Correia were on some "most likely to sign with the Twins" lists last year, and Carroll the year before that. (Willingham was a bit of a surprise, although they did need Cuddyer/Kubel replacements at the time.)

Of course, it helps when the Twins restrict themselves to low-demand players with low contract requirements...
    Last edited by spycake; 11-18-2013 at 08:12 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 168 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Yep, that is talking about trading prospects for pitching. THAT would make an interesting pivot this offseason.
    If the Twins trade prospects for pitching but stay ~$30 million under budget (no quality free agents signed), I am going to be MASSIVELY disappointed. As good as our top prospects are, this team and organization are not that rich in talent yet -- we can't really afford to be swapping out talent, we need to ADD it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast