Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball Prospectus Goes Twins Crazy!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries

Baseball Prospectus Goes Twins Crazy!

They posted their Twins top 10 prospect list today:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=22250

Then, Jason Parks joined Effectively Wild to talk about Twins' prospects:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=22256

The podcast is free, but the article is not. Pinto is #5. Thorpe is #8.

Discuss.
    Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Just saw that. Pinto at #5 is surprising. They also like Jorge a lot. They call the farm system the best in the majors. That's encouraging.

I don't have a BP subscription so I don't know what they say about the players but it's a good list. Nice to see 4 pitchers in it.

Parks, in his podcast, gives a lot of credit to the org for accumulating talent.

Senior Member All-Star
    Some notes from the podcast:

Likes the Twins system a lot, called it the best system in baseball. It's a good combination of of high impact high ceiling but surprisingly safe depth. Compared it to a Cubs/Astros system with the best of both. Not a lot of low A flame outs. "If a guy like Berrios doesn’t reach his ceiling he’s still a good player." "Buxton is best prospect I’ve ever seen." "Great balance between impact and depth."

Parks like Pinto behind the plate which is nice to see.

Thought the org was great at getting talent from different areas – big credit to international scouts but made good trades as well. Gets talent from everywhere.

Twins traditionally good with pitcher development; Can fix mechanics, don’t worry about taking time to develop them. Compares them well to St Louis (who is the best at it).
    Less turn over in MN office – is that a problem? Why do they have a fallow period if (13m in). Doesn’t really answer. Parks thinks priorities change – can’t get Alex Meyer if you’re competing.

Thorpe – future #2 starter. Not every team thought to invest in Australian market like Twins did. Thorpe blew up recently with big velocity spike. (from 86-89 to low 90s and has body to add more). Kid is a “monster.” Smart, great feel for game. Twins have moderate success from non-traditional areas – Germany, Australia.

Kepler – not as high. Others passed him in the system. No longer a first division type player. Might not hit enough power for corner or first base.

New type of Twins pitchers – 20m in – seems to be a disconnect? Parks answer: maybe a market inefficiency at the major league level but at the minor league side he likes the pitchers they have now. These guys might not K a lot in the majors. Meyer could be a bullpen arm if control is an issue but he’ll miss bats no matter what. But Berrios is short, low margin of error, thinks he’ll be a good pitcher at ML level but might not have high K level. Jorge is more of a K-guy.

Trevor May – "frustrates the hell" out of Parks. "Built like a horse" but has a command/feel issue. His posture on the mound isn’t good. Two good breaking balls but not a good feel for pitching yet.

Guys will struggle at the ML level when they get there. Pinto will come back to earth. Maybe Buxton makes the majors next year.

Buxton might be more athletic than Trout. Very special player. “Doesn’t know what he’s doing yet” “not even close to what he’s going to be.” Talked about his grand slam on a 98 mph fastball being just instinct at this point. One scout put his floor as Torii Hunter and his ceiling as “who the hell knows, maybe Willie Mays.”

Pirates scouting director says Sano is the greatest Latin American player he’s seen in over 20 years.

Interviewer aks, "Who’s a guy in this system not on the top 10 that we didn’t cover" – Gonzalez 4th round pick b/c of bad spring and character event (marijuana). Twins can fix his mechanics (likes what they did with Meyer) and already in his 90s. Thinks he’ll be a top 10 guy next year.

Would their #11-20 be better than some orgs top 10? Yes, probably 3 or 4 teams. Angels, Tigers, A’s – lot of depth in the 11-20 but no impact guy.

Adam Walker wasn’t even ranked but he could be a 1st division guy if it all comes together.

Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Blog Entries
    In the article, they also indicated that Sano could be an above-average fielder at 3rd, if it all comes together.
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sano, Polanco, Kepler, and Thorpe are fantastic international signings.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gonsalves is easily moving in the top 10 next year and maybe top 7 given "graduation" time.

I would not be surprised if Trevor May was in AAA all the way until September. Meyer falling to a reliever is something I have heard twice now. I don't get it.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Gonsalves is easily moving in the top 10 next year and maybe top 7 given "graduation" time.

I would not be surprised if Trevor May was in AAA all the way until September. Meyer falling to a reliever is something I have heard twice now. I don't get it.
    It's concern that he won't be able to fix his command enough to start. Lots of moving parts in a big body like his so he could be too wild to start. Parks says he's one of the top 30 prospects in baseball so it sounds like he thinks he'll start but it's come up before as his floor.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    I'm a bit perplexed that we get credit for being good at developing pitching. That doesn't hold much water IMO.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

I don't get the Meyer comment either. His AZ numbers looked pretty darn good besides hitting a handful of batters. That is strange. Control still seems to be a concern but talk of moving away from starting seems very premature.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I'm a bit perplexed that we get credit for being good at developing pitching. That doesn't hold much water IMO.
    Sure, when Ryan retired the first time the rip on the Twins was that we could develop and bring in pitchers but not hitters. Besides guys like Santana, Radke and Mays, guys like Garza, Liriano, Perkins, Slowey, Blackburn were all top 100 prospects. And they got some 2-3 WAR seasons out of home grown non-ranked prospects like Baker, Duensing and Swarzak to boot. They've had some bad luck in that department the last few years (Gibson is the first pitcher Johnson drafted to make the majors) but over the last decade + they've done all right.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 207 Times in 116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    You have to have talent in order to develop it. Garza, Liriano, Santana did come up through our system. The Twins haven't exactly failed to develop pitching talent when they've had it--trouble is pitchers have gotten hurt (Wimmers, Gibson) or the talent hasn't been acquired (what Shooter Hunt and who else?).

I'd also listen to the broadcast as Parks is pretty articulate and specific about how the Twins have helped Meyers and what can mean for guys like Gonsalves and others.
    Last edited by PseudoSABR; 11-18-2013 at 12:06 PM.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    They've had some bad luck in that department the last few years (Gibson is the first pitcher Johnson drafted to make the majors) but over the last decade + they've done all right.
    If "all right" is to develop a single Cy Young winner or even contender in a decade plus, then they have done "all right". In my book, 1 Cy Young winner in 10-20 years is mediocre.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    If "all right" is to develop a single Cy Young winner or even contender in a decade plus, then they have done "all right". In my book, 1 Cy Young winner in 10-20 years is mediocre.
    There can only be 20-40 Cy Young Winners in the amount of time you have provided. If you consider players winning multiple times, that number gets even lower. There are 30 MLB teams. How many would be considered better than mediocre?
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's concern that he won't be able to fix his command enough to start. Lots of moving parts in a big body like his so he could be too wild to start. Parks says he's one of the top 30 prospects in baseball so it sounds like he thinks he'll start but it's come up before as his floor.
    If anything, relievers need better command than starters because they have less margin of error when they come in. It's the primary reason Deduno never made it as a reliever but he does OK as a starter.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member All-Star
    Parks gave Buxton a future overall grade of 8 which he defended in the comment section:
    "I think this is a the first time I've ever had the balls to throw an 8 on the OFP. I'm often quite hesitant to go THAT high on any one tool or player, but the scale only works when 8s actually exist. Somebody has to be an 8. Might as well be Buxton."

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swanson View Post
    There can only be 20-40 Cy Young Winners in the amount of time you have provided. If you consider players winning multiple times, that number gets even lower. There are 30 MLB teams. How many would be considered better than mediocre?
    30 MLB teams 30-40 Cy Young winners. Mean ( = Mediocre) is 1-2 winners every 15-20 years. The Twins are the definition of Mediocre as far as this goes. Bell curve. The majority of the teams are mediocre, and few are good and few are bad.

Most fans are not alright with mediocrity and want their team to strive for excellence. For some Twins' fans (and the team management and the local press) jumping from horrible to mediocre seems to be enough unfortunately. Even going back to horrible seems to be ok...
    Last edited by Thrylos; 11-18-2013 at 02:31 PM.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    You have to have talent in order to develop it. Garza, Liriano, Santana did come up through our system. The Twins haven't exactly failed to develop pitching talent when they've had it--trouble is pitchers have gotten hurt (Wimmers, Gibson) or the talent hasn't been acquired (what Shooter Hunt and who else?).

I'd also listen to the broadcast as Parks is pretty articulate and specific about how the Twins have helped Meyers and what can mean for guys like Gonsalves and others.
    I just have trouble parsing out "developed" from all these other factors, especially when you go so far as to compare them to St. Louis. 5-6 years ago I would've agreed with the assessment of our pitching development, but now? That's nostalgia more than accuracy IMO. We have earned praise for acquiring farm talent but we haven't for developing it for quite some time.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Some notes from the podcast:

That was an awesome recap gunnathor. Thank you for sharing that. It's the kind of contribution that really helps the community.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    That was an awesome recap gunnathor. Thank you for sharing that. It's the kind of contribution that really helps the community.
    Da nada

Senior Member All-Star
    Sano, Polanco, Kepler, and Thorpe are fantastic international signings.
    Yeah, and you can add Felix Jorge and Minier (my favorite dark horse) to that list, too.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast