Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nolasco, Garza or Arroya?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts

Nolasco, Garza or Arroya?

So should the Twins sign 1 or both of these pitchers? With the Giants just agreeing to terms with Tim Hudson they should be out of the running for either pitchers and if the Twins claim to want to spend on pitching they should move fast. They should put offers on the table and see is willing to sign now.
    Arroyo should not need more than a 2 yr deal to sign.
    Nolasco is trying to convince teams he deserves a 5 yr deal, I would only go 3 with an option for a 4th yr.
    Garza will definitely get a 5 yr deal from someone.
    The Twins have been sitting on piles of cash for too long and would be best suited to get 2 of these pitchers signed ASAP.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 25 Posts
    The Twins will have to go 4 for Nolasco. We should go 3 with a 4th, but he wont come here unless he gets 4 guaranteed or the money is more per year.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 348 Times in 169 Posts
    I have no idea what it would take to sign any of these guys but I think most of that pile of cash will stay firmly stuck in Jim Pohlads back pocket. Prove me wrong please!
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    Nolasco probably takes 4 with a 5th. I'd rather have Garza for 5, even if it is 15+ per. Arroyo 2 13 or 14 per would be a great get in my opinion. He would immediately become the ace and work with the youngsters coming up. If we get non of the three, I will be

Liked 104 Times in 62 Posts
    Ideally I would like to see one of Garza/ Ubaldo, one of Arroyo/ Kazmir/ Hughes, and a flier like Johan/ Niemann.
    "Professionalism - When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S Thompson

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Arroyo and one of Garza, Nolasco or Kazmir.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Arroyo and Garza would make me absolutely ecstatic. I guess that would make all of us ecstatic.

Those are the guys I want. My hopes are already up, but I am fully prepared for them to be shattered.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How about all 3, but I'd take Kazmir ahead of all of them...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by raindog View Post
    Arroyo and Garza would make me absolutely ecstatic. I guess that would make all of us ecstatic.

Those are the guys I want. My hopes are already up, but I am fully prepared for them to be shattered.
    I would be so ecstatic that i would want to follow the Twins example and spend some money on season tickets even though i dont live in Minnesota.

Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also....
    Garza should get 5 years
    Nolasco should get at least 4 with option
    Arroyo looks like he will get 3 years if you read mlbtraderumors and the pioneer press

I think my preference would be in order Garza, Arroyo, Nolasco

Arroyo is even more realistic if SF is really out of the picture now as they did want 2 back end pitchers. I would think they want an even lower cost 5th starter though.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    Not sure why this is in general baseball, not in the Twins specific discussions.

If I were a team, I'd consider Nolasco the best investment of the three. Garza can't stay healthy enough to really warrant a 5 or 6 year deal, and definitely not at the money he'll want (reportedly $17M+ per). Arroyo is nowhere near the other two in talent, production, or stuff, nevermind that he's elderly in pitching life cycles. Nolasco is no Anibal Sanchez, but I think the deal he got from Detroit is a solid number for Nolasco.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    Not sure why this is in general baseball, not in the Twins specific discussions.

If I were a team, I'd consider Nolasco the best investment of the three. Garza can't stay healthy enough to really warrant a 5 or 6 year deal, and definitely not at the money he'll want (reportedly $17M+ per). Arroyo is nowhere near the other two in talent, production, or stuff, nevermind that he's elderly in pitching life cycles. Nolasco is no Anibal Sanchez, but I think the deal he got from Detroit is a solid number for Nolasco.
    Nolasco is a terrible investment. He just hasn't been very good for a long time. Do you think he had one lucky season or 4 unlucky seasons. Arroyo has continuously outproduced him and is likely the top target for the Twins because of fewer years.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nolasco is an upgrade over our current pitchers in that he is slightly above average.

Kazmir and Garza would delight me. Arroyo as a third pickup would stun me.

Did not believe Garza would be open to coming back. That would be sweet.
    I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Nolasco is a terrible investment. He just hasn't been very good for a long time. Do you think he had one lucky season or 4 unlucky seasons. Arroyo has continuously outproduced him and is likely the top target for the Twins because of fewer years.
    For the Twins, sure, but I'm saying in the market overall, Nolasco getting 5/75 or something similar would be around where he should be and not a terrible overpay.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    For the Twins, sure, but I'm saying in the market overall, Nolasco getting 5/75 or something similar would be around where he should be and not a terrible overpay.
    5/75 for a guy that typically puts up 4.50 ERA's? that's an overpay regardless of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    5/75 for a guy that typically puts up 4.50 ERA's? that's an overpay regardless of the team.
    I understand that it isn't quantifiable, but I know that he was one guy I disliked seeing pitch against the Braves. I shouldn't have felt that way, based on the numbers, but it always felt like he kept the Braves off tempo all game and once he lost it, he was left in to take a beating. I know he's hit 200 innings only twice, but he has the feel of Javy Vazquez to me in his pitching - someone whose numbers don't match up to what you see game-to-game.

Senior Member All-Star
    Excellent comp but he only managed a couple of season with <4.00 ERA after a nice run with the Expos. Not something I would want to throw a lot of money at despite his awesome season with the braves.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Anyone paying Nolasco X number of years and 40+ million dollars is making a big mistake. How is this not blatantly clear? I am so confused.

I would see if Garza is interested in 4 years and $72 million. I am always much more willing to pay more per year than to extend the years.

Arroyo should be offered 2 and $24 million.

Arroyo wants a 3 year deal. He said on MLB network that his durability and consistant numbers should prove he's not aging like other pitchers do. And he's got a point. He doesn't throw hard and hasn't had any serious injury concerns that I can see. If we could give him 3 years with a front-loaded contract, making the 3rd year the lowest salaried year or based on incentives, I would do that in a heartbeat.

Nolasco getting 5/$75M is pure insanity. He is NOT A. Sanchez. Doesn't have the same stuff or same track record. Due to the lack of good pitchers on the market, I'm sure he'll get something like 4/$50M or even possibly 4/$60M if someone is desparate (like the Twins?) but if he were a FA last year he would be looking at something like the 3/$33M Lohse got. He had a good year at the right time and is in the FA market at just the right time as well. I say stay away unless we can't get anyone else to come here.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How does Jason Vargas get 4 years 32 million, that really scares me. He is a slightly better version of Kevin Corriea & that maybe a stretch...

Wow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast