Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neal on Bronson Arroyo

Administrator Double-A Twins Daily Admin's Avatar
    Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries

Neal on Bronson Arroyo

La Velle E Neal has lots of notes from Bronson Arroyo's interview on MLB Network Radio on Monday.

"Yeah, itís definitely in the early stages,'' [Arroyo] said. "Nobodyís really put a dollar bill in front of me, but I have, I think, the Phillies, the Dodgers, the Angels, the Giants, the Twins, maybe even the Orioles, I think all those teams have called, you know, just to say that they are interested. Iím not really sure how interested, you know? I think the Giants called back a couple of times and so did the Twins. But nobody really wants to put any money down on the table yet.''
    Neal also says that the Twins have also made calls on Kazmir, Johnson, Nolasco, Santana, Vargas and Santana, at least, though he doesn't read much into that.

Liked 144 Times in 80 Posts
    Hudson got $23M/2 years. I'd say a good starting point for Arroyo is less than that - I saw 2 yrs/$19M somewhere and thought it sounded reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by gil4 View Post
    Hudson got $23M/2 years. I'd say a good starting point for Arroyo is less than that - I saw 2 yrs/$19M somewhere and thought it sounded reasonable.
    I don't see that. He's two years younger than Hudson and he is durable, having pitched less than 200 innings only once in the last nine years(and it was 199 innings). If I had to guess I would think that he gets somewhere in the neighborhood of 3/$33-$39 mil.

IMO he is undervalued and certain metrics don't calculate his value properly.
    Last edited by panolo; 11-19-2013 at 09:03 AM. Reason: dumb

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gil4 View Post
    Most people were saying that the Giants got a bargain though. I don't think his contract will be percieved as the measuring stick if that's the case.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3 years at 13/year. Get it done.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,585 Times in 823 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For some reason, I'm just not that high on Arroyo. It's probably his age.

Maybe it's just me but for similar money, I'd rather take a flyer on Hughes.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 123 Times in 89 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I bet Arroyo gets basically the same years and money as Hudson. I would have thought 2/20 max, but not anymore.

Liked 1,276 Times in 739 Posts
    I'm okay w/2 years and a team option even if the buyout has to be a little more hefty than the Twins usually prefer (up to $4m or $5m if necessary) . But I'm really leary of committing for the third year.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 30 Times in 24 Posts
    $13M a year for Arroyo seems like a big number.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    2 years, 18 mil for Arroyo only if they manage to sign Garza or another high upside pitcher as well.

If not, let Arroyo walk and simply sign Nolasco, who will cost a bit more but has more upside and is younger then Arroyo.

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would rather have Josh Johnson and Kazmir. Arroyo is like a third or fourth choice for me, money is high and risk is very high by the third year. Do not want anything to do with Hughes, take a pass unless the money is low. This is a year to buy at most pitchers for 3 years, you do not want aged pitchers blocking prospects because of money. Other by low candidates, Niemann, Acieves, Johan(1 year with an option). Time to buy major pieces is next year when the Twins are ready to compete at the next level. (Also the talent level is higher)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 75 Posts
    I would target the highest priority pitcher first and foremost and defer signing a second choice--unless the Twins truly have budgeted for two quality starters.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    2 years, 18 mil for Arroyo only if they manage to sign Garza or another high upside pitcher as well.

If not, let Arroyo walk and simply sign Nolasco, who will cost a bit more but has more upside and is younger then Arroyo.
    Nolasco could cost twice as much for twice the number of years and is not a better pitcher than Arroyo.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Nolasco could cost twice as much for twice the number of years and is not a better pitcher than Arroyo.
    While it is possible Nolasco COULD be for twice as many years, it should be noted that he is looking for 4 and Arroyo is looking for 3. There is nothing that says Nolasco can't be brought in for 3 years.

Also, he is a much better better pitcher then Arroyo. His FIP and xFIP are significantly better than Arroyo over the past 4-5 years. Arroyo had a total WAR of 5.0 over the last 5 years while Nolasco has a 13 WAR over the past 5 years and had better season over season WAR then Arroyo in 4 of the 5 years.

Additionally, Nolasco is 7 years younger than Arroyo, and at age 37 Arroyo is a very good candidate for significant regression (this coming off a season where his WAR was a paltry 0.8) Nolasco is still in his prime at age 30 and coming off 3.1, 2.5 and 3.0 WAR years the last 3.

Also, Nolasco also strikes out a decent number of batters, and the Twins DESPERATELY need someone like that on the staff, Arroyo is nothing more than a slightly better version of Correia.

So yeah, Noalsco would cost more money, but that is because he is a significantly better pitcher.

Arroyo is very much a 'Twins Way' kind of pitcher, I'd guess Ryan has high hopes of getting this deal done. I'd prefer we step out of the mold and go after more of a power pitcher like Ervin Santana. In a perfect world we'd get both...

Blog Entries
    While it is possible Nolasco COULD be for twice as many years, it should be noted that he is looking for 4 and Arroyo is looking for 3. There is nothing that says Nolasco can't be brought in for 3 years.

Also, he is a much better better pitcher then Arroyo. His FIP and xFIP are significantly better than Arroyo over the past 4-5 years. Arroyo had a total WAR of 5.0 over the last 5 years while Nolasco has a 13 WAR over the past 5 years and had better season over season WAR then Arroyo in 4 of the 5 years.

Additionally, Nolasco is 7 years younger than Arroyo, and at age 37 Arroyo is a very good candidate for significant regression (this coming off a season where his WAR was a paltry 0.8) Nolasco is still in his prime at age 30 and coming off 3.1, 2.5 and 3.0 WAR years the last 3.

Also, Nolasco also strikes out a decent number of batters, and the Twins DESPERATELY need someone like that on the staff, Arroyo is nothing more than a slightly better version of Correia.

So yeah, Noalsco would cost more money, but that is because he is a significantly better pitcher.
    I take it that you must be using Fangraphs WAR and not BR's. It's almost exactly the other way around on BR!!! Thanks WAR! What the hell?

BR has Arroyo's 2012 WAR at 3.6, and 2013 WAR at 2.5. Nolasco? 1.8 and 1.4, respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    I take it that you must be using Fangraphs WAR and not BR's. It's almost exactly the other way around on BR!!! Thanks WAR! What the hell?

BR has Arroyo's 2012 WAR at 3.6, and 2013 WAR at 2.5. Nolasco? 1.8 and 1.4, respectively.
    http://www.fangraphs.com/library/war...ces-fwar-rwar/

Beyond WAR though, Nolasco has the heavy advantage in: k/9, FIP, xFIP and age. The only thing Arroyo really has is ERA (which is basically what the b-ref WAR is based on)

Basically what it comes down to is that Arroyo basically looks like Pavano (not a bad thing), but just more of the same that the Twins currently posses (low strike out pitchers), again, if they can add a front of the rotation guy like Garza then by all means bring in Arroyo to be your #4.

With Nolasco I at least see a guy who pitched well after a change of scenary who has the potential to be a solid #3, or if things come in line with his xFIP/FIP a decent #2.

In a perfect world I would sign Garza and Nolasco. (Make no mistake, the Twins have plenty of money to do this as it would cost about 30 mil a year)

Garza
    Nolasco
    Meyer
    Gibson
    Deduno/Correia/etc

Looks like a pretty solid rotation to me over the next few years.
    Last edited by SpiritofVodkaDave; 11-19-2013 at 12:35 PM.

Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    The issue with long term contracts (pitching in particular) is that they always look like overpays when they're signed but by the time the contract expires (barring major injury or falling off the table like Kevin Brown) they're in line with what lesser pitchers are signing for. The rise in salaries is just astonishing but shows no signs of ever slowing down.

I say bring back the reserve clause and collusion all in one! That will put the Twins on an even playing field.

Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    (barring major injury)
    Which happens a lot with pitchers on long term deals. Also, I just think giving a guy a contract through his 39 and 40 year old years is a mistake. There is a huge % chance that he will regress a good amount.

Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    Which happens a lot with pitchers on long term deals. Also, I just think giving a guy a contract through his 39 and 40 year old years is a mistake. There is a huge % chance that he will regress a good amount.
    This is true. But you can have a major injury on a one year contract too and then you don't get anything out of him.

This is probably the wrong thread for the post because I wasn't specifically talking about Arroyo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast