Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins prospect Eddie Rosario tested positive for banned substance?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 131 Times in 60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    I think that the Twins need to ingrain their minor leaguers not to take anything even if their relatives or friends give it to them without checking with the Twins' doctors. I'd love to know what kind of substance it was.
    I certainly wouldn't trust anything Twins' doctors told me. Rest and rehab followed by TJS whether I have an arm injury, a sprained ankle, or a headache.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Why is a ballplayer practicing medicine in the first place?

Liked 94 Times in 56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Will it? Minor leaguers don't exactly make that much, I'm guessing it will cost him about 10k tops.
    Right. And he'll be stuck there that much longer, setting back is call up time.

Liked 94 Times in 56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    Why is a ballplayer practicing medicine in the first place?
    They've been doing it for years. A friend of mine's kid pitched for the Twins in the minors, hurt his arm, and was told by both Radke and Milton to take steroids to heal.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Halsey Hall View Post
    They've been doing it for years. A friend of mine's kid pitched for the Twins in the minors, hurt his arm, and was told by both Radke and Milton to take steroids to heal.
    This is a very slippery slope... a friend of mine's kid, steroids, radke, etc.

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Frustrating, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not the worst thing that could have happened. When I saw on Twitter "Twins top prospect test positive" (paraphrasing), I was horrified it was one of the big 3, but thank goodness it's not. Obviously you'd like to avoid this thing, but better this year than later on. And better to have it happen before the season starts than in the belly of the beast. He will still get a big-league invite to ST and get all that work in, no?

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Well, that sucks. He was a guy I was really excited to see next year.

Sometimes you never know what will derail a kid's timeline, it's why you can't count on these things.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    It certainly bumps back his timeline. I doubt we'll see him at Target Field this year now. I also don't doubt that when he returns from his 50-game suspension that he starts the season back in New Britain.
    I think that was happening anyway... This certain makes that all but official.

Liked 320 Times in 190 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I think that was happening anyway... This certain makes that all but official.
    It is official. Even for a day. When you are suspended you have to start the season at the level you were. I think that was the reason that Vargas missed have season. He had to start at E-town instead of Beloit...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 72 Times in 43 Posts
    It is official. Even for a day. When you are suspended you have to start the season at the level you were. I think that was the reason that Vargas missed have season. He had to start at E-town instead of Beloit...
    Thanks, that's interesting- quite a substantial penalty in his case.

It's amazing how players don't think about how they have to have these supplements, etc approved. I heard a report from one camp, I believe the Twins but don't remember for sure, that said they do everything they can to tell people that every single thing they take has to be approved by trainers, then they still find players taking stuff their cousin recommends, etc. It must really be frustrating for the organizations.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Well, That's half right. Vargas didn't go back to Etown in 2012, he went to Beloit right after his suspension ended. But in Vargas case, since he was caught in a short season league, His suspension couldn't resume until after the Appalachian league started up again, making it a much longer suspension than just 50 games.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 65 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In Vargas' case, he couldn't start serving his 50 until the Elizbethton season started in June effectively lengthening his suspension. Once served, he started in Beloit. Rosario could and should start in AAA once he serves his suspension.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Once this is officially confirmed, I expect the Twins organization to be very supportive, yet very firm. This means no big league camp invite, no spring training games with the big club, maybe no minor league games against other clubs too. After the suspension is done, I predict they'll send him to AA, even if for only two weeks, before a AAA promotion. All the while reassuring him he's in the teams long term plans. A September call up next year is still a possibility.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    In Vargas' case, he couldn't start serving his 50 until the Elizbethton season started in June effectively lengthening his suspension. Once served, he started in Beloit. Rosario could and should start in AAA once he serves his suspension.
    He's a good prospect but what has he done to deserve a promotion after a 1/2 season in AA? I have posted longer responses in other threads about Rosario but you seem to ignore them.

Liked 320 Times in 190 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Today the Puerto Rican press published an interview with Rosario. You can read details here.

According to him, the substance he tested positive for was in a pill he took to treat pain in his throwing arm. Also, it was the same substance he took (and was prescribed to him) to treat the pain when he was hit on the face by a pitch when in Beloit. No PEDs. "Street drug" likely prescription painkillers. That one should take as is ok to take with a prescription and likely he did no have on this time. He is appealing so we will see where this will go...

No PEDs
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    I have posted longer responses in other threads about Rosario but you seem to ignore them.
    wonder_woman_xlarge.gif

I'm kinda glad this happened because I feel Rosario is a commodity we'd regret trading. This should diminish his trade value in the near term and force the Twins to hold onto him.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beyondclarity View Post
    I'm kinda glad this happened because I feel Rosario is a commodity we'd regret trading. This should diminish his trade value in the near term and force the Twins to hold onto him.

I was worried they would move him too & feel the same, especially considering
    its for painkillers & not PEDS

They don't have to start where they ended. In the case of Vargas the rule was he had to wait until the E-Twins started their season to continue the clock on his suspension.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Does anybody have any more developments with this? Info available on the internet through normal channels is no different than last week. I am wondering if MLB has said anything about a timeframe for investigation. Also, if these are painkillers that he took before, was he just lucky in that he did not get caught or is there more to it?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast