Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Pirates Reacquire Duke Welker from Twins

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 297 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    TR just described Johnson as "hitting 90-92" and "a rich man's Diamond" (apparently a little better stuff than Scott). Also noted Johnson was a former first rounder, pitched with Pelfrey in college, and said he was impressed with his AAA numbers.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 603 Times in 337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. I suspect everything you said was said a few years ago with the Diamond/Bullock fiasco.

Last year the Twins had 8 starters start 10 games or more. The year before, 9. They need depth. Hopefully, Meyer and May and Gibson all break out for us. But complaining about moving a redundant bullpen arm for a starter is .... you know, I can' even explain how much this complaining doesn't make sense to me. I agree with Goulik, the vitriol over this is stunning.
    First off, chill. There is no vitriol. That's absurd. I've stated I'm perplexed, befuddled, confused, etc. There isn't anyone here spewing "vitriol" so let's get off that right away. The problem is trying to make sense of this.

You said yourself that Welker was basically a waste of a 40 man spot. I'd argue having 10+ starters taking up your 40 man is equally wasting 40 man spots. The problem, as I bolded above, isn't that they need "depth" - they need better pitching. Johnson isn't "better" than several guys already on the roster. He's redundant. Could he turn out to be a benefit? Sure, he might. But if the Twins are hunting for their 10th starter on the depth chart to put on the 40 man I have serious reservations about that thinking. It's not encouraging at all, in fact.

Especially if you hold some hope, as I do, that there will be starters added via trade or FA. The only sense I can make of this is that they think they can waive him off the 40 man more easily than Welker and still retain him. But I don't know enough about those rules to say anything with certainty.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. I suspect everything you said was said a few years ago with the Diamond/Bullock fiasco.

Last year the Twins had 8 starters start 10 games or more. The year before, 9. They need depth. Hopefully, Meyer and May and Gibson all break out for us. But complaining about moving a redundant bullpen arm for a starter is .... you know, I can' even explain how much this complaining doesn't make sense to me. I agree with Goulik, the vitriol over this is stunning.
    The worst starting staff in baseball, two years running, needs "depth"?

A staff that has had to overly rely on AAA guys like Johnson the last few years.... Needs more guys like Johnson?

I liked the Diamond-Bullock move. To Bill Smith's credit, he was fairly aggressive dealing low minors guys and it worked.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    I can't believe there are 5 pages on this completely non-interesting transaction. Neither of these guys are interesting and would just be 40 man roster hanger-onners.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,209 Times in 484 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    As it turns out, Welker wasn't the PTBNL after all. He was the Player To Be Named Earlier.

Likety-like like like.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    I can't believe there are 5 pages on this completely non-interesting transaction. Neither of these guys are interesting and would just be 40 man roster hanger-onners.

Yea, this is much ado about nothing. Neither of these guys are anything but a lottery ticket that the Twins hope they can get lucky with.

I guess they would rather take a chance on a LH starter than a RH power reliever. With their current collection of abysmal starters I can see the logic of that.

There is no way either of these guys are going to cause the Twins to lose someone they want to protect.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by golfboy1 View Post
    There is no way either of these guys are going to cause the Twins to lose someone they want to protect.
    It does appear that way -- the Twins were pretty aggressive in their 40-man protections today.

It's just hard to shake memories of these last two years' patchwork rotations... I know it's still early in the offseason, but if any position warranted some urgency, it would be the Twins rotation...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345