Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Josh Johnson to the Padres

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 207 Times in 116 Posts

Josh Johnson to the Padres

One year deal guaranteeing 8 mil, with 1.25 mil in incentives at 26 starts. There's also an option for 2015 if Johnson makes fewer than 7 starts (a rather odd provision).

The Twins should have been all over this, if they had the opportunity. Let's hope they are on better, more sustainable talent.
    Last edited by PseudoSABR; 11-19-2013 at 11:48 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    Excellent move by the Padres and something the Twins should have been in on. Of course the same could have been said about Marcum last year.

The odd provision was also included in Lackey's (longer) contract. It gives the team some value if he's injured the entire time. It's possible that JJ's arm is pretty iffy right now.

2015 club option at Major League minimum salary if Lackey misses significant time with surgery for pre-existing elbow injury in 2010-14

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 392 Times in 206 Posts
    Johnson said earlier this week he preferred San Diego, and frankly gave them a huge discount.

I wish the twins would have got him as well, however, not sure what a one year would have done for them...best case scenario is he has a nice year and becomes insanely expensive

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 392 Times in 206 Posts
    Per mlbtr It seems possible Johnson and agent Matt Sosnick could have gotten close to that $10MM mark had they focused on the highest bidder, but the pitcher preferred San Diego for personal reasons. The Padres got a discount approaching 20%, just for being the Padres.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It doesnt seem like the Twins were too interested in him. Great choice for Johnson though, he definitely if healthy can improve his stock in that beautiful Pitchers Ballpark

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    We are going to be waiting off and on next season, for many of our top prospects to make it to Target Field. The last thing I want to do is wait for a starting pitcher whose arm may fall off. Gibson and Meyer will provide enough upside.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    We are going to be waiting off and on next season, for many of our top prospects to make it to Target Field. The last thing I want to do is wait for a starting pitcher whose arm may fall off. Gibson and Meyer will provide enough upside.
    I agree with you...but....if we resign Pelfrey I will be pissed because I would rather see if Josh Josh can resurrect his career over watching Pelfrey try to be a decent pitcher again. Josh Johnson has great stuff hurt or not, Pelfrey bleh.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    Oh so Johnson didn't have some strong desire to sign with the Twins because he was born here?

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 207 Times in 116 Posts
    Not facing the DH and pitching in Petco are boons to JJ's potential value; it's likely the Twins never had a legitimate chance. If the Twins want to pay top dollar for JJ after a successful season in San Diego, I imagine they'll be welcome to it.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Let's think about that: If you were not affiliated with any team or location in any way, where would your rather spend your Aprils, Octobers and Winter Carnival days: In Minnesota or in San Diego?

Location does matter as well.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    I cannot think of a pitcher who went to San Diego for a year and resurrected a career.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    I cannot think of a pitcher who went to San Diego for a year and resurrected a career.
    Jason Marquis?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Can you think of anyone who went to Minneapolis for a year and resurrected a career?
    -----

Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    There's also an option for 2015 if Johnson makes fewer than 7 starts (a rather odd provision).
    From a team's standpoint, I really like that provision. Of course, the player has to trust that if he is healthy, the team will start him. And 7 starts isn't that high a barricade.

Makes me wonder if they think that there is something that may require surgery or if the doctors just can't tell.

Liked 147 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Can you think of anyone who went to Minneapolis for a year and resurrected a career?
    Closest I can come is Pavano.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    One year deal guaranteeing 8 mil, with 1.25 mil in incentives at 26 starts. There's also an option for 2015 if Johnson makes fewer than 7 starts (a rather odd provision).

The Twins should have been all over this, if they had the opportunity. Let's hope they are on better, more sustainable talent.
    Since Johnson signed this early, that tells me he had a specific set of goals for a comeback season: he wanted to be in a big ballpark in the National League. If I was him, I'd do the same thing. Smart move and I question whether the Twins could have snagged him at any price... He's obviously fixing for a big contract in 2015. If he was worried about a 2014 paycheck, I doubt he would have signed before the Winter Meetings and at a lower price than most of us expected.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    Oh so Johnson didn't have some strong desire to sign with the Twins because he was born here?
    I don't know about others' arguments but I thought it could be a bargaining chip to attract Johnson to Minnesota, though it'd obviously have to come alongside a competitive offer. Obviously, that wasn't the case (though it's hard to say whether the Twins pursued him at all, never heard a rumor linking them to Johnson).

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    How about 'Black Jack' Morris?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gil4 View Post
    Closest I can come is Pavano.
    Twins traded for Pavano.
    After that he never pitched for another team.

Don't think that qualifies as 'resurrecting a career'.

[Insert Rick Anderson joke here.]
    I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TRex View Post
    How about 'Black Jack' Morris?
    Jack Morris a. was ancient history, b. was towards the end of a very successful career (he was 36 in 1991 and played 3 more seasons) and c. Gardyn'Andy were playing ball back then. Nothing to resurrect.
    Last edited by Thrylos; 11-20-2013 at 08:33 AM.
    -----

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast