Thread: Baseball America on Twins 40 man roster

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 191 Times in 117 Posts

Baseball America on Twins 40 man roster

They have a small thing on every team, here's the Twins write-up:

Minnesota Twins (36)
    Extremely Likely Protections:
    SS/2B Jorge Polanco.
    Possible Protections: 1B Kennys Vargas, OF Max Kepler, LHP Logan Darnell, RHP A.J. Achter.
    Itís hard to see Kepler sticking and contributing to a big league roster in any way after just a half-season at low Class A Cedar Rapids, especially since heís not going to add defensive or baserunning value. But the Twins have the roster spots, so they can likely avoid the risk of exposing a legitimate prospect. Polancoís spot on the 40-man roster seems much safer. Even though he hasnít played above Class A, his defense, speed and athleticism is the kind of profile that allows a younger player to contribute to the 25-man roster even if his bat isnít ready. Think Everth Cabrera, whom the Padres Rule 5′d in 2008. Vargas is a switch-hitter with some power and feel for hitting, but heís far enough away that itís likely worth the risk of leaving him exposed. Achter and Darnell are a pair of upper-levels pitchers with feel for setting up hitters, but neither has a plus pitch to likely entice a team to draft them.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/major...-5-protection/

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 356 Times in 178 Posts
    What's the story on Achter?

I would protect Polanco and Darnell for sure. Maybe 50/50 on Vargas, though I doubt anyone is going to grab him as well since he has zero defensive value and isn't even close to contribute as a DH/1B (even then he is pretty iffy prospect)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 303 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I posted in the other thread that the Everth Cabrera comparison might not be fair to Polanco. Cabrera had just turned 22 when drafted. Polanco won't be 21 until next summer, I think. Cabrera was also coming off a 73 SB season in the minors, which implies at least one "standout skill" that Polanco doesn't yet have.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    Mike Berardino ‏@MikeBerardino 10m #mntwins have added Logan Darnell, Max Kepler, Jorge Polanco and Kennys Vargas to 40-man roster

They outrighted BJ Hermansen as well

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 303 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So the roster is at 39 now...

Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Doesn't adding a guy to the 40 man roster also start his option counter? So there is a fine line to balance between adding a very young, raw guy such as Kepler or Vargas vs. protecting him, right? At some point you would prefer guys like Kepler don't burn all their option years toiling in the low level of the minors, I think. I'm sure the Twins take all that into account, just another consideration when you start discussing who to add. I wouldn't add someone just to add them, unless I felt there was a risk of losing that player. For a guy like Kepler, who seems to have a high ceiling it's probably not worth exposing him, but not sure I feel the same way about Achter or Vargas, though I suppose someone might try to grab and stash one of these guys for a year. I think the A's did something like that with a 1B last year.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 191 Times in 117 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whydidnt View Post
    Doesn't adding a guy to the 40 man roster also start his option counter? So there is a fine line to balance between adding a very young, raw guy such as Kepler or Vargas vs. protecting him, right? At some point you would prefer guys like Kepler don't burn all their option years toiling in the low level of the minors, I think. I'm sure the Twins take all that into account, just another consideration when you start discussing who to add. I wouldn't add someone just to add them, unless I felt there was a risk of losing that player. For a guy like Kepler, who seems to have a high ceiling it's probably not worth exposing him, but not sure I feel the same way about Achter or Vargas, though I suppose someone might try to grab and stash one of these guys for a year. I think the A's did something like that with a 1B last year.
    Real young guys like Kepler and Polanco get another option year.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 346 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Remember, Eric Fryer is causing this situation. And BJ Hermsen.
    Eric Fryer had pretty much no say in the situation...