Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Here we go again, Duensing & Swarzak told to prepare to start...

Truly, the only way we will be blocking our developing prospect pitchers is if we sign 4 quality pitchers long term.

Corriea is off the books after 2014. I'm counting on Gibson to turn it around and for Meyer and May to make the rotation and stay in it during the next 12 months. This leaves 2 open spots in 2015. I'm praying we are adding a couple good FA pitchers on multi-year contracts to fill those holes next year as well as this year.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The 2015 rotation could be:

Meyer
    Kazmir
    Gibson
    Hughes
    May

Can you imagine that possibility? I can. The Twins can't.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
    Haven't really heard much about Hughes anywhere yet. I like him at TF a lot. Not really a big Kazmir fan, think he's a big risk and overrated b/c of his strike outs. Rather they got a guy like Nolasco or Arroyo than Kazmir. But yeah, the future is the young guys.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 342 Times in 195 Posts
    Our ever expanding pile of guys who can start games is becoming an embarrassment of riches.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post

• Ryan said the hope is that Johnson, 29, will make the Twins’ big-league club in 2014.

“Why not?” Ryan said. “We’ve got to try something.”

Quotes like this are what disturb me about the move. If Johnson was picked up simply for minor-league depth, or to add another emergency reinforcement to the mix, fine. But to actually few him as a viable contender for an MLB rotation spot? Yikes.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,260 Times in 752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    But to actually few him as a viable contender for an MLB rotation spot? Yikes.
    Why not? They've got to try something.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    A concerning undertone is that it seems to mean that they aren't going to get a decent free agent, but I hope it's a "just in case."

The guys they've "penciled in" are likely Correia, Gibson, Diamond, Deduno, Johnson/Swarzack/Worley/Duensing.

I absolutely love when Ryan goes out of his way to say nobody wants to play here. Don't they consider themselves the model organization? They have a beautiful ballpark. April is cold. Big deal. Players dont want to come here for ONE reason. The Twins NEVER make the highest offer. PERIOD.

Liked 1,131 Times in 509 Posts
    If either Duensing or Swarzak start a game for the 2014 Twins, Ryan has failed. Period.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 179 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    If either Duensing or Swarzak start a game for the 2014 Twins, Ryan has failed. Period.
    Once again, the Chief so effortlessly expresses, in one line, what countless others have felt in their rambling and redundant threads and posts.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Once again, the Chief so effortlessly expresses, in one line, what countless others have felt in their rambling and redundant threads and posts.
    Yep! Indeed. And unfortunately a real possibility.

Liked 35 Times in 27 Posts
    I agree with you on Duensing. I wouldn't say Ryan failed if Swarzak ends up getting a spot start or two in a double header or something like that. If Swarzak is in the the starting rotation, then yes, probably a failure.

My gut says that they were told to prepare to start as an extreme backup plan. We can only hope that is the case.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Try harder.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Like.
    I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

Terry Ryan will talk and talk and talk, but wont pay to win..........I hate todays salaries, but if the team is making millions, and don't want to give the attendees a price break, I want them to spend the money they make into TRYING to help them win, I have always like TR but now am tiring of him, probably for me, cuz he decided to retain the good old boy , Gardy.........I will cheer for the Twins but wont be going to many more games till they show they are willing to TRY to win and not just make money.

Liked 1,131 Times in 509 Posts
    In the ever eloquent words of one Snepp...likely-like like like.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 627 Times in 242 Posts
    In the ever eloquent words of one Snepp...likely-like like like.

Concur!
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    The 2015 rotation could be:

Meyer
    Kazmir
    Gibson
    Hughes
    May

Can you imagine that possibility? I can. The Twins can't.
    Sub Correia with May (because they have to start him) and I don't mind if that is the 2014 rotation...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    The real news in this story is that (unlike some potential rumors out there) it sounds like the Twins will offer arbitration to both.

As far as starting goes, I think that Duensing needs to stay in the pen, but Swarzak has been spot starting anyways and cannot be any worse than anyone not named Gibson or Correia or Pelfrey from last season's rotation so it would not hurt to give him a few starts at ST to see what he does.

Another point of view here is that both of the guys are just entering arbitration and starters make more $ than relievers, so I suspect there is some pressure from the players to start, to which the Twins say, "sure, we don't close the door" in order to be fair to them.
    This is true and a good point on the real news here.

Still Duesning at 2mill should not be on this team. Diamond could fill the Loogy role just as well. How anyone thinks he should be part of the team desperate for talent in other areas is silly. The pen is deep, its like the mentality is we have so much payroll available we dont care if we burn a few extra million here & there.

Players in those spots need to be purged and the $ used elsewhere on the team.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 94 Times in 56 Posts
    Chief summed it up right there. If either starts, I'm done with these clowns.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast