Thread: Report: Minnesota Twins opposing WWE in "Bella Twins" name

Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries

Report: Minnesota Twins opposing WWE in "Bella Twins" name

Hmm...#IfMLBwereWWE....

According to reports from Philly.com, a website called PWInsider.com has learned that the Minnesota Twins have filed an opposition against the WWE in their efforts to trademark the name "Bella Twins" -- a set of modeling and wrestling identical twins sisters.

The report does not indicate as to why the Minnesota Twins are attempting to thwart the Vince McMahon-owned sports entertainment efforts, but the team have requested an extension and have until February 12th to file an opposition.

Frankly, I do not think there will be a whole lot of people who will mistake these Twins for these twins. Both are sexy in their own ways.
    @OverTheBaggy

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 176 Times in 101 Posts
    Glad the Pohlads are dropping $500 an hour on this bull**** instead of actually investing in relevant things for the team.

Blog Entries
    In their defense, I'm guessing any business/ball team would do the same...but I agree, it seems pretty irrelevant.
    @OverTheBaggy

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts
    Why would the Twins care about the name "Bella Twins"? Are they planning on a marketing strategy using the word (in the feminine, no less) "bella"? Some kind of apparel for women line maybe?

Are they planning on suing Turner for the usage of the name "Wonder Twins" on the Superfriends cartoon?

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This on the surface looks totally funky. Even in baseball, there are minor league teams with the same name as other, non-affiliated MLB teams. The International League Indianapolis Indians (Pirates' affiliate) and the Northwest League Spokane Indians (Rangers' affiliate) come to mind. One the other hand, the Indianapolis team were the Indians when the Cleveland team was the Bluebirds in the turn of last century...

It must have something to do with the trademark part and the way the trademark application was written, which might make the Twins think that WWE-Twins products might be confused with the MLB Twins products and cut into revenue potentially. Interesting to see what was filed...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker Hageman View Post
    In their defense, I'm guessing any business/ball team would do the same...but I agree, it seems pretty irrelevant.
    Not sure. See the example I gave above re: Indians. Even in their own sport.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Blog Entries
    Not sure. See the example I gave above re: Indians. Even in their own sport.
    That example probably has some nuances to it that differentiate it from the current one.
    @OverTheBaggy

Liked 345 Times in 196 Posts
    To me it depends on if they are really twins.

If they are really twins, then they should get to use the identifier. They do appear "bella".

And capitalization be d*mned.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 47 Times in 24 Posts
    I'm a lawyer. My partner is licensed by the USPTO.

The Twins are doing this because it's good trademark practice. If you fail to police your trademark, a judge in a future case will find that you've abandoned the mark or acquiesced to its misuse.

My thought is that the WWE, being a "sport" and certainly an athletic entertainment, is a prime target for a trademark policing action. The Minnesota Twins cannot afford to acquiesce to the misuse of the trademarked term "Twins" in any area of the sports and entertainment world.

Will they win a lawsuit? If it goes to trial, probably not. Does it matter? Not in the slightest. If the Twins are vigilant about protecting their mark in all sectors of the sports and entertainment world, then judges in future cases will be more likely to rule in favor of the Twins the next time there's an infringement that actually might confuse consumers. If Twins just "let it slide," then the next time there's an infringement that actually might confuse consumers, the judge may "let it slide," because that's the way the Twins have done business in past.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    I'm a lawyer. My partner is licensed by the USPTO.
    Totally unrelated, but how fun would it be to see random, anonymous profiles of what TD posters do in real life? Less anonymous, but even more fun, trying to guess which is which from a list of five.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 38 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I totally agree with 70 on the policing of the trademark, and this is an opposition action not infringement litigation (so it's not like they are suing WWE). But the likelihood of confusion is so low here (even in the same entertainment category) that I would hope the examiner says "well that was a waste of 15 minutes" and then throw this one in the trash. I am more than willing to be corrected by the attorneys in the thread.
    I will one day successfully sneak onto the Sportive Podcast, and have nothing intelligent to say or add to the conversation.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer crarko's Avatar
    Liked 248 Times in 141 Posts
    Perhaps the Twins should hire these ladies as team ambassadors. There should be a creative way to drive season ticket sales here someplace.