Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hypothetical: Would you have traded Joe Mauer for Fielder or Kinsler?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

Hypothetical: Would you have traded Joe Mauer for Fielder or Kinsler?

If Mauer would have been willing to waive his no trade clause, would you have traded him for Kinsler of Fielder?

With such an odd trade that involves so much money, and with Mauer moving to first base I think it's an interesting question that puts Mauer's value and contract into perspective, especially for those that are so critical of him.

My answer would be no for both. Even as a 1B, where so many argue his bat isn't as strong relatively and his contract loses value, I still would not have wanted Kinsler or Fielder for him, even if Fielder returns to previous form for a year or two and Kinsler plays a harder position to fill. Mauer's still going to provide more value than either one I think, over the course of the rest of his contract.

What would you have done?

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,249 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wow, great question. Given how the team isn't currently making much use of the salary "space" they already have, I can't see trading for a lower salary (Kinsler) except if it were a starting pitcher of great talent. And while defense isn't the first attribute you look for in a first baseman I dislike Fielder's game enough to not want to make that trade either.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 191 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd think about Fielder. He's the anti-Mauer in terms of durability and obviously has greater power potential.

Liked 1,063 Times in 476 Posts
    I'd have to consider Fielder. Not sure, but its at least interesting.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Liked 131 Times in 60 Posts
    Yes to Fielder, no to Kinsler.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    God no. Prince and Kinsler are both declining, Prince is going to only get worse as his body won't hold up. Mauer doesn't have the durability (yet) Prince does, but at least he is an average base runner and provides defensive value.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 772 Times in 423 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No and no. Kinsler isn't good enough and I've never liked Fielder... His dad imploded at what, age 33? I think it's very possible that Prince follows the family mold.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    I agree with the above, great question. I hadn't even considered it. I'm a Joe apologist though, I like the hometown angle all that sappy stuff. However, you'd have to give it thought when it comes to Fielder. Do they still include the 30 million for Fielder? Because that would make a bit of a difference too. Or because they're getting paid about the same is it a straight up 1 for 1 no money deal? I can't justify Kinsler though, especially with Dozier looking pretty good last year and some decent prospects getting close.

How about Andrus for Mauer? Assuming the Rangers didn't just do the Kinsler deal though? I would be curious if he came up in conversation between the two teams at all. I would have to think long and hard on that one. You lose a lot of offense there but then you've got a stud young SS for the next decade.

Liked 317 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Short answer: No way.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts
    I don't think I'd go for either one either. I think Prince Fielder is going to remain good for awhile, but his prodigious weight combined with his prodigious contract are more thank likely going to make his decline phase an absolute dumpster fire. I think Mauer will age gracefully.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    Detroit did kick in $30 million for Fielder, that brings his annual salary down to less than $20 million. That's less than Mauer. But while I'd like Fielder over the next couple of years, I think he's playing on borrowed time with that body, I don't think he's productive at all in a few years.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Not trying to be a jerk, but what other than Fielder being fat gives ANYONE any thought that his body wont hold up? He is currently the leagues "ironman" and he plays first base and DH's! Even if he gets bigger (is it possible?) he can become a full-time DH. Why is he going to breakdown again? Evidence to this?

Senior Member Triple-A Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 56 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Siehbiscuit View Post
    Not trying to be a jerk, but what other than Fielder being fat gives ANYONE any thought that his body wont hold up? He is currently the leagues "ironman" and he plays first base and DH's! Even if he gets bigger (is it possible?) he can become a full-time DH. Why is he going to breakdown again? Evidence to this?
    His home runs and ops have declined two seasons in a row, 38, 30, 25, and .981, .940, and .819. He is well-protected in a stacked line-up, yet his walks have also dropped over the same period. He turns 30 in May. This may add up a trend, maybe not.

However, you'd have to ask if those numbers are worth that money, even more than with Mauer.
    Last edited by Monkeypaws; 11-21-2013 at 02:29 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 178 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Fielder is worth a thought, especially if the Tigers kicked in cash -- so far his decline is mainly just one season, and the Twins DH spot is perpetually open.

But given his contract runs even longer than Mauer's, the answer is pretty clear. (And that's without getting into questions of marketing, where Mauer obviously has more value to this club.)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 178 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
    His home runs and ops have declined two seasons in a row, 38, 30, 25, and .981, .940, and .819.
    The first of those seasons is barely a decline, certainly well within normal variation. He was switching teams/parks/leagues too.

Last year is definitely a big dip -- worse year since his rookie season. I wouldn't want to take a chance on him until that was cleared up... of course, if he starts hitting better, his team wouldn't want to trade him.

Great to see the responses so far and it's pretty interesting and maybe even surprising to me that there's only been one "definite" for Fielder and few other that would consider it at best.

I'd have thought that with the way people sometimes talk about Mauer, they'd be jumping at the chance for a bona-fide power hitting 1B like Fielder over him, especially if they're both playing 1B and their contracts are pretty much the same at this point.

Maybe that will change as the day goes on, but it's been interesting to read so far.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Absolutely not to both. Kinsler would clearly be a mistake and Fielder would be a mistake. There.

Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Fielder is worth a thought, especially if the Tigers kicked in cash -- so far his decline is mainly just one season, and the Twins DH spot is perpetually open.

But given his contract runs even longer than Mauer's, the answer is pretty clear. (And that's without getting into questions of marketing, where Mauer obviously has more value to this club.)
    Fielder's contract takes him through age 36 and Mauer's through age 35. Assume Detroit pays the money and they're basically the same.

That said, I still have concerns about Fielder's potential for decline where I think you might see Mauer actually get better for a season or two.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You have to get to true upper-echelon players to consider a trade for Mauer straight up.

Not a chance with Kinsler. Possibly with Fielder, but only if there's cash kicked in by DET.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast