Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Berardino: Herrmann, Pinto struggling in Winter Ball

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries

Berardino: Herrmann, Pinto struggling in Winter Ball

PiPress Mike Berardino, who is killing it this offseaon, reports that Chris Herrmann was send home from Domincan Winter League after SLUGGING just .267 over 12 games. But that's not the worst news....

ellow catcher Josmil Pinto isn't exactly tearing up the Venezuelan Winter League, either. Pinto was 5 for 25 (.200) with six strikeouts for Aragua and had lost playing time to San Francisco backup Guillermo Quiroz.

Pinto hadn't played since Saturday.
    Seems like another good time to ask - anyone think the Twins should be targeting a veteran catcher this offseason?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Berardino needs some perspective:
    Herrmann played 12 games
    Pinto has played 7 games

There is no useful data from that sample. - especially since the players don't really have a spring to get back their timing.
    Furthermore the team Pinto is playing for has Wilson Ramos on the squad. Who is DH'ing
    Anything Pinto can learn from that guy would be great!
    Last edited by clutterheart; 11-21-2013 at 08:13 PM.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 31 Times in 16 Posts
    Obviously these stats don't mean anything but then we also have to say that Pinto's September doesn't mean much either. Despite the hatred it receives from some posters, you can see why TR quickly signed a veteran backup catcher like Fryer. If Pinto and Hermann have to go to the minors (not unlikely), and you throw in an injury (quite likely), we might need the guy.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, those numbers mean nothing. It's just extra at bats.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 135 Times in 95 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not good news, but nothing to lose sleep over, either. I do think a defense-first receiver would be of benefit to the team and especially to Pinto. It sounds like Molina is staying in Tampa. I hope Mr. Ryan acquires such a veteran. I don't think the team needs to add any more position players.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When have winter league stats ever mattered, whatsoever, for anything about how we view talent?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    Obviously these stats don't mean anything but then we also have to say that Pinto's September doesn't mean much either. Despite the hatred it receives from some posters, you can see why TR quickly signed a veteran backup catcher like Fryer. If Pinto and Hermann have to go to the minors (not unlikely), and you throw in an injury (quite likely), we might need the guy.
    Thankfully Pinto's track record shows a career .790 OPS and the last two full seasons an .800+ OPS. Questions remain about his defense but some of the reports I have seen show that he is improving as he advances in the system.

I think the Fryer angst is due to him being on the 40 man but that's only relevant if the team loses a player of consequence. Today, its not a big deal, but down the road it might be.

Blog Entries
    Was there this concern over Winter League ball last year? No. And for good reason, because literally nothing is to be gained from this time other than innings and plate appearances. This should be obvious.

"PiPress Mike Berardino, who is killing it this offseaon"

I hope you aren't including this article in the "killing it" category. Anyone attaching a narrative to 20-30 at-bats is at best misinformed.
    Last edited by launchingthrees; 11-22-2013 at 02:11 AM.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    Agreed you can't think Pinto is going to hit like he did in September but his track record shows he's capable of a nice line in the majors and is much closer to what he did in September than what he's doing in 25 winter ball at bats. I'm almost more interested to hear how he's doing behind the plate and how many innings he's getting in at catcher.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Adding another a catcher makes sense but the team should have higher priorities if they think Pinto can eventually be an everyday catcher. I don't really care if Pinto is sent to AAA for a few months first or given the job out of ST.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Was there this concern over Winter League ball last year? No. And for good reason, because literally nothing is to be gained from this time other than innings and plate appearances. This should be obvious.
    I don't know... I think there was quite a lot of (positive) concern that grew out of Winter League ball in past years over Liriano and Deduno. However, it seems likely that it is easier for pitchers to deal with sporadic playing time than hitters.

OBTW, did anyone notice that Arcia has heated up and now has 5 HR over 50 AB (with on OPS of 1.050) (http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/org.jsp?id=min).

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TRex View Post
    OBTW, did anyone notice that Arcia has heated up and now has 5 HR over 50 AB (with on OPS of 1.050) (http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/org.jsp?id=min).
    Well, that's great to see. Again, SSS but he should dominate that level of competition and he is. Strikeouts are still a concern but his power is absolutely legit.

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They added a catcher: Eric Fryer.
    Jumping into conclusion from a week's (or two) of plate appearances (and in a foreign country for Herrmann) does not make much sense.

And C should be fifth priority for the team (behind adding three starting pitchers and maybe a SS)
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 72 Times in 43 Posts
    Berardino is killing it, in the sense of being on top of things. Regardless of the interpretation, it's great to get the reports.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    I am not comfortable with Pinto/Herrmann as the Twins catching duo and that has not changed based on these winter league stats.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 342 Times in 195 Posts
    These stats aren't anymore meaningful than a handful of September at bats. Which puts me squarely in the camp of where we were in August - if Mauer isn't catching, this team doesn't have another option.

At least not one that should be playing the position.

Blog Entries
    Also, um . . . .HELLLOOOO. Eric Fryer representin'.

Blog Entries
    We cared about Liriano and Deduno in the Winter League in the sense that they were throwing more strikes AND they were healthy. That's really what it's about is getting guys some extra innings or at bats.

Blog Entries
    And, Berardino is stealing the show this offseason. As a Twins fan, it should be mandatory to follow him on Twitter... and, if you want, you can follow me too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast