Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Berardino: Herrmann, Pinto struggling in Winter Ball

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Show of hands please--how many will be comfortable with anyone other than Mauer catching for the Twins?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 114 Times in 50 Posts
    There's no reason the Twins shouldn't be going after a veteran catcher to either split time for Pinto or take over for him in case he goes all Chris Parmelee.

The Twins have plenty of money to supplement the rotation and sign a catcher.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    Show of hands please--how many will be comfortable with anyone other than Mauer catching for the Twins?
    <Raises Hands>

Sure, why not?

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 133 Times in 72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    When have winter league stats ever mattered, whatsoever, for anything about how we view talent?
    Like a lot of stats if they help your opinion they mean something if they don't help they are meaningless.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    <Raises Hands>

Sure, why not?
    can you raise your hand because you have no expectation of contention or because they will field competent catching?

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I do.

I am totally comfortable with both Herrmann and Pinto as far as catching goes, and I have seen them catch (in addition to this season) about a dozen times each. This is not like Drew Butera will be the starting catcher (again)...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    I'm comfortable with someone other than Mauer.

I like Pinto's potential but I don't like him as plan A when plan B is Herrmann and plan C is awful.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,246 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, put me down also for "anyone other than Mauer". Ye gods, he was awful back there.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 181 Times in 102 Posts
    IMO the concerns with Pinto at C aren't about his bat at all, its all about if he can stick as an every day guy defensively behind the dish.

Herrmann is basically a replacement level guy, nice depth to have while he is making the minimum, but pretty replaceable most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    Berardino needs some perspective:
    Herrmann played 12 games
    Pinto has played 7 games

There is no useful data from that sample. - especially since the players don't really have a spring to get back their timing.
    Furthermore the team Pinto is playing for has Wilson Ramos on the squad. Who is DH'ing
    Anything Pinto can learn from that guy would be great!
    Dang it, I really wanna go there..but I've lost too many internet points lately...Shucks.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    IMO the concerns with Pinto at C aren't about his bat at all, its all about if he can stick as an every day guy defensively behind the dish.

Herrmann is basically a replacement level guy, nice depth to have while he is making the minimum, but pretty replaceable most likely.
    My concern isn't really with Pinto but rather that there is no Plan B at catcher. It should surprise nobody if Pinto fell flat on his face as a rookie in the majors and needed some AAA time. We have seen this before most recently with Hicks and Dozier. What I'm scared of is that this could be a repeat of the CF situation last year.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    My concern isn't really with Pinto but rather that there is no Plan B at catcher. It should surprise nobody if Pinto fell flat on his face as a rookie in the majors and needed some AAA time. We have seen this before most recently with Hicks and Dozier. What I'm scared of is that this could be a repeat of the CF situation last year.
    Exactly. And Fryer is Clete Thomas. I'm kind of sick of playing the Clete Thomas types of the world because of a lack of foresight about an obvious problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12