Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Over moderation

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Sarcasm has no place in our society.
    Was that sarcasm?

Also, if there is to be a dress code we need look no further than Mr. Garza in my avatar.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    I definitely agree we need a dress code for our avatars. How else would we know when we'd found a good one? (What would Bartman do?)

Senior Member Double-A chuchadoro's Avatar
    Liked 28 Times in 17 Posts
    I have a specific complaint regarding the editing of comments. I commented a few years ago that "at least Mauer would continue to lead the league in lady b*ners". Pretty questionable, I would have had no issue if it had been deleted.

Instead, a mod changed the phrase to "swooning ladies". If I wanted to say "swooning ladies" I would have sent my closest chap a Western Union regarding his favorite baseballer, Cap Anson. Delete, warn, ban; do what you need. Don't put words in others' mouths.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sarcasm has no place in our society.
    Would Dave be sarcastic? Noooo.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Good one.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 386 Times in 201 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Would Dave be sarcastic? Noooo.

Good one.
    Ha!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chuchadoro View Post
    I have a specific complaint regarding the editing of comments. I commented a few years ago that "at least Mauer would continue to lead the league in lady b*ners". Pretty questionable, I would have had no issue if it had been deleted.

Instead, a mod changed the phrase to "swooning ladies". If I wanted to say "swooning ladies" I would have sent my closest chap a Western Union regarding his favorite baseballer, Cap Anson. Delete, warn, ban; do what you need. Don't put words in others' mouths.
    A moderation action from "a few years ago" may or may not have involved the current crew. The moderators have discussed the topic of editing recently, and the consensus is that it is rarely superior to just deleting the post, for reasons such as you allude to. Deletion of a post isn't the end of the world anyway, and the poster can always try again with the same message restated.

7. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (02-03-2014)

Senior Member Double-A chuchadoro's Avatar
    Liked 28 Times in 17 Posts
    A moderation action from "a few years ago" may or may not have involved the current crew. The moderators have discussed the topic of editing recently, and the consensus is that it is rarely superior to just deleting the post, for reasons such as you allude to. Deletion of a post isn't the end of the world anyway, and the poster can always try again with the same message restated.
    The person who executed the moderation action is still very much a part of the crew and I appreciate his hard work that goes into making this the best Twins site around. I didn't mention the editing issue to demand satisfaction but to discuss it and find out if it was an ongoing practice. I'm glad to hear about the consensus.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 386 Times in 201 Posts
    So just to be clear, the word boner is not allowed? This is a semi serious question, where do we draw the line on language?

Blog Entries
    So just to be clear, the word boner is not allowed? This is a semi serious question, where do we draw the line on language?
    I can't do better than point to the way John Bonnes said it a while back, contained in a longer essay that is found in the Comment Policy thread:

[T]here is no line. There is no limit. There are a lot of them, and they're always changing and that's the way it has to be. So just stay the hell away from it.
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 02-03-2014 at 06:02 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Well "swooning ladies" is over some line.

12. This user likes Joe A. Preusser's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

chuchadoro (02-04-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,931 Times in 1,132 Posts
    There are no absolutes, which makes moderating difficult. All I can say for myself is that I try to keep a few things in mind ... context, intent, tone, poster history; it's certainly not a literal, word by word approach. Even with all that it's still difficult but we all try to remain fair and consistent even if it doesn't always seem so. Also, each of us is only human and sometimes we misread a situation, which is why our collective discussions are ongoing and endless. Mostly what we want for and from the community is respect, even if you abhor another poster's POV, so that we can have the best discussions possible.

14. These 2 users like ChiTownTwinsFan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (02-03-2014), glunn (02-04-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 505 Times in 196 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The idea of you in a skirt is what keeps this proposal on the table.
    It's not easy being the sex symbol of Twins Daily... but what the heck, somebody has to bring sexy back.
    Sexy.jpg

16. These 4 users like Bark's Lounge's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (02-03-2014), glunn (02-04-2014), h2oface (02-04-2014), Twins Fan From Afar (02-03-2014)

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 776 Times in 408 Posts
    Are threads in this forum really intended to be treated as jokes?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 288 Times in 150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark's Lounge View Post
    It's not easy being the sex symbol of Twins Daily... but what the heck, somebody has to bring sexy back.
    Sexy.jpg
    Game, set, and match.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 288 Times in 150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    Are threads in this forum really intended to be treated as jokes?
    I just hope you aren't demanding accountability.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 776 Times in 408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by big dog View Post
    I just hope you aren't demanding accountability.
    I don't demand anything. It's not my site.

21. This user likes crarko's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

big dog (02-03-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    You can't say #erection either. Had the post deleted last week. My 10th graders get away with more in class. Over moderation muchmuch

23. This user likes Twins Twerp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (02-03-2014)

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    You can't say #erection either. Had the post deleted last week. My 10th graders get away with more in class. Over moderation muchmuch
    I will say this - if one's entry doesn't rise above that of an immature 10th grader, it risks being deleted. And if that is as high a standard as a member tends to repeatedly reach, we'll likely encourage him to go someplace else, where he can more easily fulfill his wishes.

If that's over moderation, then so be it. I don't think that's an unseasonable standard. At the very least, the opposite standard seems to be an odd one for which to campaign.

25. These 10 users like John Bonnes's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (02-04-2014), Brock Beauchamp (02-04-2014), ChiTownTwinsFan (02-04-2014), Don't Feed the Greed Guy (02-04-2014), ericchri (02-04-2014), glunn (02-04-2014), LimestoneBaggy (02-04-2014), snepp (02-04-2014), twinsnorth49 (02-04-2014), USAFChief (02-04-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 53 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    All,

I don't post much, but I do read quite a bit on this site. Has over moderation happened? Perhaps. But ask yourself this. These gentlemen have been trying to build a flagship for Twins discussions that all can enjoy (young and old). If you put yourselves in the shoes of the founders, moderators, and admin, and read some of the posts with that effort in mind, it's not hard to write threads, blogs, and posts that reflect their mission. It's their ballpark people, and if you want the field, you're going to have to beat them and maybe get a few balls from old man Mertle's yard.

I'm as dirty minded as the next, and quite frankly I listen to the Sportive to get my fill on that (and dear Lord those guys are hilarious and intelligent-witty), but I come hear to learn and laugh. From the time I've been involved, I've gotten to know most of you by reading your stuff, and I'm positive you can be hilarious without the cheap bathroom humor (but save it, one day maybe I'll meet you at a Twins Daily event, and we can unload it all).

In the end, I haven't paid a dime (outside of Seth's book) since I've been following these guys (and you), and if they say the line is here...then the line is here.

The real question I have is why does anyone care (off season notwithstanding)?
    Last edited by LimestoneBaggy; 02-04-2014 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Stupid grammar, why do you hate me.
    I will one day successfully sneak onto the Sportive Podcast, and have nothing intelligent to say or add to the conversation.

27. These 10 users like LimestoneBaggy's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Brock Beauchamp (02-04-2014), ChiTownTwinsFan (02-04-2014), chuchadoro (02-04-2014), diehardtwinsfan (02-04-2014), Don't Feed the Greed Guy (02-04-2014), ericchri (02-04-2014), glunn (02-04-2014), snepp (02-04-2014), twinsnorth49 (02-04-2014), USAFChief (02-04-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    If that's over moderation, then so be it. I don't think that's an unseasonable standard. At the very least, the opposite standard seems to be an odd one for which to campaign.
    Touche'. In the immortal words of Baron Von Raschke, "Dat is all dat da people need to know!" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrxXvG9SMK4 (at 1:12)

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast