Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Over moderation

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Dan Gladden View Post
    While not a direct correlation to my previous comments, the comments on this thread does prove a certain point. A posting about the state of moderation on this site has 140 comments basically from the moderators and a handful of super-posters. Virtually no comments from the average Joe.

Whether you agree with my stance or not, it would be beneficial for lurkers and small posters alike to sound off on this subject. For this site to truly be available to all, your feedback is essential.
    I agree the board is dominated by a members only mentality. When I first joined the board, there was a stated desire to tone down the excessive negativity, but many of the members were uncomfortable with the board evolving from a hornet's nest.

I was surprised by the venom one of the members attacked game thread, until I realized he was sending a message that one member had better not issue a warning to another member and expect to get off scot free.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Dan Gladden View Post
    While not a direct correlation to my previous comments, the comments on this thread does prove a certain point. A posting about the state of moderation on this site has 140 comments basically from the moderators and a handful of super-posters. Virtually no comments from the average Joe.

Whether you agree with my stance or not, it would be beneficial for lurkers and small posters alike to sound off on this subject. For this site to truly be available to all, your feedback is essential.
    A lurker or occasional poster might not care how a forum is moderated hence the lack of comments.
    The game thread is a little community by itself. When I have looked at them, there seems to me to be a sameness about them like a high school group. You are in it, or not. You are welcome to hang around, but the conversation started long ago. It would be work to fit oneself in.

3. This user likes old nurse's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

scottz (02-09-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Lee Harvey joke too edgy for these parts? Gimme a break, people need to lighten up.
    I did not see the joke that launched the thread. There is a difference in how some people are allowed to speak on this board. I guess you were not one of them.

Liked 292 Times in 164 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    A lurker or occasional poster might not care how a forum is moderated hence the lack of comments.
    The game thread is a little community by itself. When I have looked at them, there seems to me to be a sameness about them like a high school group. You are in it, or not. You are welcome to hang around, but the conversation started long ago. It would be work to fit oneself in.
    Anything worthwhile takes work, but if you post in a game thread you will be welcomed.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 606 Times in 232 Posts

It sounds like passing the buck to me.

I apologize if that's not the intent, but that's how it comes across.

Liked 351 Times in 200 Posts
    I'm only an occasional poster in the game threads but I've usually found them more welcoming than other threads. In part because nobody cares how much technical baseball knowledge you have nor do they get into detailed arguments. It's really just a place to share some fun (or misery) during games.

Like any party, it may take a little while to break the ice. But if you make the effort, you may find some kindred spirits. (And I find the Game Threads much more like a sports bar than the "Sports Bar" which almost seems like a political bar to me).

RB's intro posts on game threads are also in my "Top 5 things I like about Twins Daily".

8. These 3 users like JB_Iowa's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (02-08-2014), twinsnorth49 (02-08-2014), USAFChief (02-08-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
    This is way, way off topic but I asked a question and cannot find where on the site it may or may not have been answered. I am obviously doing something wrong. I wanted to start a thread about Aaron Gleeman's article on the Twins in the 2014 Baseball Prospectus and inquired about the appropriateness of it or not. Since Aaron has his webcast posted on the site I wonder how discussing his article in Baseball Prospectus should be approached. Could a moderator give me some help on this one, please.

Liked 351 Times in 200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    This is way, way off topic but I asked a question and cannot find where on the site it may or may not have been answered. I am obviously doing something wrong. I wanted to start a thread about Aaron Gleeman's article on the Twins in the 2014 Baseball Prospectus and inquired about the appropriateness of it or not. Since Aaron has his webcast posted on the site I wonder how discussing his article in Baseball Prospectus should be approached. Could a moderator give me some help on this one, please.
    I'm not a moderator but I saw your question earlier and was not sure what you were asking.

Is it: how much of the BP article can be posted? If so, I think you may use short quotes and discuss the article generally but you can't post long segments from the article.

Is it: how nice/critical can you be because its Aaron Gleeman? If so, you can be critical as long as you are fair and don't rant/rave (similar to anything on TD).

Also, as you may have noticed the forums tend to be fairly quiet on Saturdays during the off-season (and really quiet on Friday & Saturday nights -- imagine that, the "youngsters" actually have other plans) so that may be the other reason your original post didn't get responses.

11. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (02-08-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    Not only are you welcome to start threads to discuss Twins articles from elsewhere, the Twins Daily administration has encouraged it.

Also, JB's response was excellent, no need to rehash anything he just said.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Thank both of you for your remarks, have either of you seen Aaron's write up? He for sure is not as favorable toward the ball club as most posters are here. I have not purchased the book, only read some of Aaron's article while in Barnes & Noble browsing.

I have not, but the new Prospectus is on my list of things to get.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    It sounds like passing the buck to me.

I apologize if that's not the intent, but that's how it comes across.
    Not the intent at all. There are comments and stories that appeared to cross from game to game. To post something in a game thread is not the problem. To be part of the ongoing could be. Integrating into a group requires work. To me the game threads appear to be a core group. For a very occasional member to such group it would difficult to be part of the core. My comments were not meant to be negative towards anyone. It was offered as an observation as one of any number of reasons why someone might shy away. Game threads do allow one to see a little more of some of the personality of the posters. It is, to maybe only me, the social part of the board.

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not the intent at all. There are comments and stories that appeared to cross from game to game. To post something in a game thread is not the problem. To be part of the ongoing could be. Integrating into a group requires work. To me the game threads appear to be a core group. For a very occasional member to such group it would difficult to be part of the core. My comments were not meant to be negative towards anyone. It was offered as an observation as one of any number of reasons why someone might shy away. Game threads do allow one to see a little more of some of the personality of the posters. It is, to maybe only me, the social part of the board.
    I can see what you are saying Nurse. There is a core group of us but the only tangible thing about the core is active participation.

We got some hit and runners as well. Ones who show up once a month.

We have jokers... Straight men... Clergy... Librarians... Foster Brooks and even people from Iowa.

There are a ton of different personalities and there is room for yours as well. The last thing we want... Is for anyone to feel sheepish about entering. I think you'd be surprised how fast the integration would happen.
    "9. Lipstick"

"How can Canada produce Tie Domi and not have a better military"?

"I noticed while robbing the First State Bank last night that if you go into the vault when nobody is looking... You can get away with it".

17. This user likes Riverbrian's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (02-09-2014)

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 608 Times in 325 Posts
    I get that as well Nurse, but really it's just a matter of diving in and getting over any reservations. It's how most of the core group in the game threads became as active as they are there, just open up, it's as simple as that. I think if you look back nobody is really ridiculed or ostracized in the game threads (as much as we should with RB), everyone is welcome, I'd love some new voices so I don't have to read so many of Chief's crusty old jokes, and I swear to God if I have to read another Carnac routine....please join in.....please, I'm begging!

Seriously though, I hear you, I'm just not sure what can be done other to encourage people to come out of their shell.......anonymously on the internet.

19. These 4 users like twinsnorth49's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (02-09-2014), Riverbrian (02-09-2014), snepp (02-09-2014), USAFChief (02-09-2014)

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll use myself as an example on the game threads. I didn't participate in them much at all in 2012 and in 2013 I was more of a hit and run guy. Never felt unwelcome, and honestly, I find it to be some pretty amusing banter for most games... but I was hardly a regular. It was something to do when I didn't have much going on and wanted to veg...

What it did do is allow me to build a relationship with a few individuals on this board. Without a doubt that wouldn't have happened in the other threads. I can see how some would find it intimidating, but I never felt unwelcome.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Hopefully with Baseball Prospectus now in the stores we can get some vigorous discussion of the section on the Twins written by who else but Aaron Gleeman.

The moderators have ruined this website IMHO. I rarely check this site for info anymore.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTwinky View Post
    The moderators have ruined this website IMHO. I rarely check this site for info anymore.
    Ironic...but I see where that is coming from. Ruin it, no, have double standards and good ole' boy tendencies. Perhaps. The information is good and the idea of having a one stop Twins site is great. I come here first during the day to get links to other sites like BP, BA, John Sickles (Sickels), ESPN Insider and other important sites (all of which I have memberships too). I can't get enough about prospects and consider myself a prospect junky. That is the good of the site.

The bad of the site...well...I understand moderating, but I feel that on a few occasions, IMHO, the moderators are TOO smart, TOO smug, and TOO delete happy. Don't take it the wrong way, I still love the site and the writers...just dislike the sites English Majors who keep deleting my posts. (It is ironic because I don't think English Majors should be capitolized)

P.S. I spelled capitalized wrong too, I am on a roll.

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post

The bad of the site...well...I understand moderating, but I feel that on a few occasions, IMHO, the moderators are TOO smart, TOO smug, and TOO delete happy. Don't take it the wrong way.
    I'll try not to
    "9. Lipstick"

"How can Canada produce Tie Domi and not have a better military"?

"I noticed while robbing the First State Bank last night that if you go into the vault when nobody is looking... You can get away with it".

25. This user likes Riverbrian's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

PseudoSABR (02-10-2014)

Liked 292 Times in 164 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The moderators have worked hard to develop a policy that focuses on respect for other members. The goal is to promote discussion that is robust without insulting other members.

Personal attacks on another member are almost always going to result in a deletion of the post, and the issuance of a warning or infraction. Trolling, which takes many forms, is disrespectful to the community as a whole, and we are not going to allow that.

Our core mission is clear. As for bad grammar and spelling, we ask that people make an effort, but I cannot recall any post that has been deleted for bad grammar and spelling.

As has been noted, there are unmoderated forums where people can call each other stupid, and troll without restriction. The TD forums were created to provide a place for Twins fans to talk (and respectfully debate) about baseball, and not to watch fellow fans try to tear each other apart.

Moderating a site like this is not easy, because the debates are often very passionate -- the current thread about expectations for 2014 is a good example. Some people have standards for measuring success that are vastly different than other people's standards, and it's not easy for us to walk the line there between allowing robust debate while preventing a flame war.

A good umpire ignores the crowd and makes the best calls that he can make. We are not here to be popular and some calls may, in hindsight, not be the calls that we should have made. So long as we do our best, I will be satisfied. Also, the mere existence of this thread shows that we are open to constructive criticism.

27. These 4 users like glunn's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (02-10-2014), crarko (02-10-2014), Riverbrian (02-10-2014), twinsnorth49 (02-10-2014)

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast