Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Over moderation

Liked 294 Times in 165 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Dan Gladden View Post
    I do not need to see every "hand slap" or "talking to" to understand how the wheels spin.

Brock, I have had e-discussions with you before. I believe I understand what you and the guys are hoping to accomplish, But as Joe Average peruses this site and sees the same individuals pushing the envelopes on their comments, sees the same individuals attacking, but keeping it just enough vauge to not be a direct attack, what else can one think.

You may not realize it, but perception is everything. If you feel insulted because you believe you are "trying your best", so be it. I was here early on when you were still trying to establish an identity. I have watched the direction of comments, articles, and the like. My perception is that there continues to be a Members Only mentality. I truly would like that to change.
    I am sorry that you have the perception that there is a members only mentality. With all due respect, I believe that this is an exaggeration. That said, if you see a post that you believe violates TD policy, please click on the triangle icon below the post and we will all take a close look at it.

I am not insulted by you saying that there may be bias. It's almost impossible to eliminate all bias. All we can do is our best, and that will never result in perfection, because we are not perfect.

Before we had any moderators, I would sometimes jump into the middle of a heated discussion in an attempt to get my fellow fans to be more respectful of each other. I see no reason why you or any other member cannot do the same, so long as you follow TD policy. In my view, blessed are the peacemakers, because they allow us to focus on baseball instead of needless quarreling. Also, I think that we should all have the humility to always keep in mind that it may be the other guy who is correct. Before last season began, I was pretty sure that Correia was going to be a disaster. As it turned out, I was wrong. We are all going to be wrong sometimes, and it seems to me that we should all keep this in mind when we perceive that someone else is wrong.

2. This user likes glunn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (02-04-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    When Gardy's contract was extended, I vomited quietly in my mouth,
    Classic!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post

4. although we may disagree, we all share an obsession with the Twins getting back to being competitive, and our love for each other as fellow Twins fans should be thousands times stronger than our frustration at what we perceive to be the occasional ignorance of our fellow fans.
    Well put!!!

Thanks again to all the founders and moderators for their hard work!!!

Onward!! Rumor has it that pitchers and catchers report in a couple of weeks!!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just have to say.... I love the title of this thread.

Over Moderation

It's like a guy who can't do anything right.
    I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

5. These 2 users like Oldgoat_MN's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (02-05-2014), Willihammer (02-05-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I was just upset at the time that my joke got deleted. It wasn't in even that poor of taste, contained no foul language etc.
    Dave, are you sure it wasn't deleted because it failed to budge the needle on the Funny Meter?

Which segues to my question: is gentle needling allowed?

7. This user likes birdwatcher's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (02-05-2014)

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 786 Times in 428 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    Which segues to my question: is gentle needling allowed?
    I'm considering banning you for even asking that question.

9. These 3 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (02-05-2014), Oldgoat_MN (02-05-2014), USAFChief (02-05-2014)

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 342 Times in 195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I'll never forget Dankind.
    Someone needs to find that epic mullet picture. That's begging to be an avatar.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 342 Times in 195 Posts
    Something else I'd like to point out is that the moderation is almost exclusively made of the most active posters in Game Threads, while I think all of these people are great, it's not exactly a diverse sampling of the posters on the board.
    I like Pseudo's point here. And, no offense to those people, but game threads are the most common place on this entire forum to be filled with 10th grade immaturity and posts that push the line of "high standards". It's all in good fun we all know, but that doesn't detract from what feels like hypocrisy.

Which is fine, it's often funny and always with the best intentions it seems, but the lines are mostly certainly blurred in that particular "area" of the board. So I too share a bit of hesitation with that response. It could easily get applied to virtually every game thread I've read here. (Again, no slight, just find it a bit contradictory)

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I'm considering banning you for even asking that question.
    And it would be based on the weakest excuse I've given you guys in years.

Thanks to all of you for your work and the joy you add to each day for so many of us.

13. These 2 users like birdwatcher's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (02-05-2014), USAFChief (02-05-2014)

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 786 Times in 428 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I like Pseudo's point here. And, no offense to those people, but game threads are the most common place on this entire forum to be filled with 10th grade immaturity and posts that push the line of "high standards". It's all in good fun we all know, but that doesn't detract from what feels like hypocrisy.

Which is fine, it's often funny and always with the best intentions it seems, but the lines are mostly certainly blurred in that particular "area" of the board. So I too share a bit of hesitation with that response. It could easily get applied to virtually every game thread I've read here. (Again, no slight, just find it a bit contradictory)
    As much as it seems like a double standard, we intentionally enforce different rules in game threads than we do everywhere else. We want to open up game threads to be a bit more open and fun for everyday posters... Like glunn says, "like sitting in the outfield bleachers with a bunch of season ticket holders".

As for moderators being active game thread participants, that was not intentional, just how things ended up working out. To find good moderators, we needed active users who spend a lot of time on the forums. Active users tend to participate in game threads... Nothing more than a correlation between the two, certainly not any kind of cause and effect.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,260 Times in 752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And, for what it's worth, the status for game threads is documented in the Comments Policy thread.

http://twinsdaily.com/showthread.php...l=1#post164889

It's not a secret exception.

16. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (02-05-2014)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Is this joke ok?PhillipSeymourHoffman.jpg
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

18. These 2 users like SpiritofVodkaDave's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

drunksam (02-06-2014), Willihammer (02-05-2014)

Not sure why that posted 3 times.

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post

Levi... I hope you know that you are always invited to participate in the game threads.

Everyone is.

I can see the perception of contradiction that you mention. However... I believe there isn't a more moderated thread in the building. It is full of moderators every night... So it's actually kind of the opposite.

The current format of the game threads was evolution but slightly intentional. We just don't want to feel sad! That is challenging with a struggling club... We want it fun and moderators are always there to try and keep it fun. It's working... The game thread has more daily views than any other thread created on the site.

We have plenty of threads to talk about how terrible Everything is. The game thread became a place to make a comment of how I would have pinch hit here but not hang on it and be able to move away from it into anything else in the whole wide world... With that... Sophomoric humor is a natural by product because everyone has a different personality and the game thread in its current form can't exist without a little latitude.

However... If the advanced line gets crossed... There is a moderator to handle it and keep it on track.

Full disclosure as a moderator... Glunn has moderated me privately when I crossed the line and he was right to do so.

On the other threads the mood can get dark and topics are defined. The moderation is much trickier because fights break out and points can get hammered into the ground and discussion can get off topic. That's why it seems like a double standard in my opinion. Its a different format.
    "9. Lipstick"

"How can Canada produce Tie Domi and not have a better military"?

"I noticed while robbing the First State Bank last night that if you go into the vault when nobody is looking... You can get away with it".

21. This user likes Riverbrian's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (02-05-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer crarko's Avatar
    Liked 295 Times in 158 Posts
    I may be wrong, but perhaps it would be best just to acknowledge that it is a double standard, but a harmless one. And that if it becomes non-harmless it will be re-evaluated.

Trying to do these two-steps around it just needlessly injures credibility. Believe it or not, we actually want to get along. But honesty is a bidirectional mapping that needs to be respected on both ends.

Super Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Liked 811 Times in 502 Posts
    In what context? Quite honestly as a stand-alone statement I read it more as tragic and sad. Are you asking 'Would this be deleted?' Again, in what context?
    "Peace, love, dope! Now get the hell out!"
    Resistance is Sisyphusian!

As someone who enjoys the Seahawks very much, I find it refreshing to be able to "laugh" about losing PSH a talented (but very stupid) man.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 194 Times in 111 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Full disclosure as a moderator... Glunn has moderated me privately when I crossed the line and he was right to do so.
    10 Hail Mary's and a 7 games of Twins baseball.

I would pay upwards of one dollar to see that post.

Super Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Liked 811 Times in 502 Posts
    As someone who enjoys the Seahawks very much, I find it refreshing to be able to "laugh" about losing PSH a talented (but very stupid) man.
    Again, it's a contextual thing. But whether or not you or I find it individually funny or sad really isn't the point. A lot of 'humour' I let slide, but sometimes a 'joke' needs to be removed not for the joke itself, but because of the responses it elicits, responses that quickly can derail a thread to a 'far off-topic land.'
    "Peace, love, dope! Now get the hell out!"
    Resistance is Sisyphusian!

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,260 Times in 752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    I may be wrong, but perhaps it would be best just to acknowledge that it is a double standard
    Since this has been done, more than once now in this thread, and explicitly in the Comment Policy post I previously linked to, I don't know what it is you are asking for. "Civility is still the rule, but a little more is tolerated." You want the explicit phrase "double standard" in the Policy?

Dave, Dave, Dave. Sigh. A brilliant man died because he was an addict and he was unable to avoid succumbing to a disease he was born with and fought. Hardly "laughable", my insensitive friend, and the name-calling reflects poorly. On you, not him. Sigh.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast