Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Over moderation

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    An appropriately and well-intentioned rib (inspired by the game thread) could be perceived as a deliberate violation for instance. I was just offering the idea that mods should be aware that reasonable people could make well-intentioned mistakes because of this inconsistency in tone.
    Yeah I do see how some can be confused. The only thing I can do to alleviate that confusion is this.

"If Bickering... Fighting... That sort of thing... Ever broke out on a game thread. You would see very similar moderation of the game thread in quick fashion. There would be no more confusion of moderation style between game threads and the others".

If Jocularity and Respect and tolerance for each other... That sort of thing broke out on the regular threads... There would be no more confusion of moderation between the two.

Moderation would be a snap... We'd be like night watchmen with our feet on the desk and watching an old movie on a black and white television and an occasional stroll through the building.

The worlds would link together.

Until they do... Perceived difference will probably be a by product.

As sure as I am standing here... The real difference is the overall mindset in the game thread.

No one is fighting and hating life in the game threads and as long as nobody is... More is tolerated!!!

We just can't say that about the other threads.
    "9. Lipstick"

"How can Canada produce Tie Domi and not have a better military"?

"I noticed while robbing the First State Bank last night that if you go into the vault when nobody is looking... You can get away with it".

2. This user likes Riverbrian's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

TheLeviathan (02-06-2014)

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post

I am, however, disturbed by the fact that I feel compelled to apologize for making an observation in a thread designed for observations. Perhaps Psuedo's most salient point is the need for more diversity in thought. There is a lot of clique-y insularity in the responses. There is some unfortunate irony in how often people say they welcome others and then have proceeded to entirely miss the point in order to rally around one another in shunning another perspective.

So thank you RB for resisting that urge and hearing me out. I'll slink back to the political forum now.
    Yeah... we do rally around each other don't we. No denying it... It's very obvious in this thread.

I'm ok with that. I think we all are.

Over in the moderator forum... I think every one of us at one point has said "Uncle... I don't think I can do this again".

It isn't fun... Each issue takes a little bit out of you.

It's why we love the sanctity of the game thread.

We do stand shoulder to shoulder. If we didn't.. Some of us would have fallen by the wayside.
    "9. Lipstick"

"How can Canada produce Tie Domi and not have a better military"?

"I noticed while robbing the First State Bank last night that if you go into the vault when nobody is looking... You can get away with it".

4. This user likes Riverbrian's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (02-06-2014)

Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
    7 pages. The O/U was set at 6.5, so all of you other lurkers who had the over can come collect. Any of you unders that were working off credit need to pay by Friday or I will smash your kneecaps with a 20 pound sledge. It's true. I run a book that wagers on Twins Daily Forum lengths.

6. These 3 users like scottz's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (02-06-2014), twinsnorth49 (02-06-2014), USAFChief (02-06-2014)

Liked 1,131 Times in 509 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz View Post
    7 pages. The O/U was set at 6.5, so all of you other lurkers who had the over can come collect. Any of you unders that were working off credit need to pay by Friday or I will smash your kneecaps with a 20 pound sledge. It's true. I run a book that wagers on Twins Daily Forum lengths.
    Do your posts count against the total? If so, that doesn't seem entirely on the up and up.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Do your posts count against the total? If so, that doesn't seem entirely on the up and up.
    If you wager on a topic O/U, you can't comment. Auto-forfeit of wager. It's in the policy.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,260 Times in 752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you wager on a topic O/U, you can't comment. Auto-forfeit of wager. It's in the policy.
    I just figured posting by the bookmaker represented vigorish or something.

/ yeah yeah, that's not how the vig works - I'm a betting n00b even though I live in Nevada

10. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (02-06-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This post blew up. Slightly disappointing I don't pay enough attention to notice. I've long voiced my opinions about the moderating policy. Through the forum medium and to any moderator I felt was out of bounds. In the last 4 months my motivation for posting has been broken. There is no fun in it. The atmosphere is stale and boring. My personal opinion. When baseball season comes around again I'll start feeling differently.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    It's why I posted the PSH pic, I was paid off my an unnamed bettor.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

13. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (02-06-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 68 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Yeah, I just stocked up on beer so that check may bounce. Sorry.

15. This user likes Joe A. Preusser's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (02-06-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    That's OK, there was also a weekly line on the number of PSH mentions. The house always wins.

17. This user likes scottz's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (02-06-2014)

Liked 1,131 Times in 509 Posts
    .... It's in the policy.
    How's that working out for ya? In my experience that doesn't always prevent issues.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

19. These 2 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (02-06-2014), ChiTownTwinsFan (02-06-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 72 Times in 43 Posts
    Hey look, it's the game thread!

21. These 3 users like big dog's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (02-06-2014), JB_Iowa (02-08-2014), USAFChief (02-06-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    DilbertMessenger.gif

For some reason, when I read "Corporate philosophy," I see "Comment policy."

(I kid, I kid)
    Last edited by Jim Crikket; 02-06-2014 at 01:38 PM.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

23. These 2 users like Jim Crikket's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (02-06-2014), USAFChief (02-06-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    How's that working out for ya? In my experience that doesn't always prevent issues.
    Well, it's a policy not law, so there is some fluidity to it. But I think the kneecap thing is the glue that binds it.

25. This user likes scottz's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (02-06-2014)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by big dog View Post
    Hey look, it's the game thread!
    Threads past their "best by date" sometimes get like that. We'll monitor here of course, if somebody brings up a serious point, but maybe starting a new thread focused on a particular concern will work better by now.

Blog Entries
    But I think the kneecap thing is the glue that binds it.
    See? These tangents sometimes produce a useful idea. The moderation team will consider this.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    I see this thread has a good following and I have something related and didn't know where to put it. I was looking for some good podcasts to listen to the other day, and I have found the best baseball podcast ever. It is called "Fringe Average." It is legit. Moderators would have a heart attack after listening to the first 5 minutes. It is straight prospect talk with very colorful/construction yard language. I love it. Search for it on iTunes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Moderators would have a heart attack after listening to the first 5 minutes.
    If I were helping moderate a forum with that style I'd have no problem avoiding cardiac arrest, I'm sure - assuming clear direction from the site owners, that is.

"Every forum is not every other forum." - a wise man
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 02-06-2014 at 04:45 PM.

30. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (02-08-2014)

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 627 Times in 242 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Moderators would have a heart attack after listening to the first 5 minutes. It is straight prospect talk with very colorful/construction yard language.

*recalls personal BYTO posting history*

Nope, no risk of heart attack here.

32. These 3 users like snepp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (02-06-2014), ChiTownTwinsFan (02-06-2014), USAFChief (02-07-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    While not a direct correlation to my previous comments, the comments on this thread does prove a certain point. A posting about the state of moderation on this site has 140 comments basically from the moderators and a handful of super-posters. Virtually no comments from the average Joe.

Whether you agree with my stance or not, it would be beneficial for lurkers and small posters alike to sound off on this subject. For this site to truly be available to all, your feedback is essential.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast