Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins Chasing Top Catcher Jarrod Saltalmacchia?

Cafardo: Twins on Salty

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...medium=twitter

I would be all for 2 for 20 on him. As I said in the McCann thread, it'd be great to slow play Pinto. If Mauer was catching full-time, Pinto would've been in AAA all year anyways.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    That would be a complete waste of money when the Twins need SP more than a catcher. They could sign John Buck or Kurt Suzuki to a 1yr deal for a couple of million if they thought they needed another catcher.
    If they are signing another catcher shouldn't they be trying to give away Doumit for a PTBNL? I wouldn't mind a Pinto/Buck time share.

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Here's the Globe story, written by Nick Cafardo:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...hFO/story.html

And here's the money quote:

7. Jarrod Saltalamacchia, C, free agent — Salty is still very much on the Twins’ radar as they try to replace Joe Mauer after his move to first base. Saltalamacchia could get a three-year deal in the $30 million range, which would seem to be a no-brainer for a team looking for a switch-hitting, power-hitting catcher at age 28.
    Saltalamacchia is a 28-year-old switch-hitting catcher who has hit 55 home run over the last three years with the Red Sox (which explains why this report is coming from a Boston newspaper). His OPS over those 3 years is 763, which would've been second on the Twins last year. Overall, those numbers about match what Ryan Doumit did back in 2012, which is very solid.

This surprises me. I'm not surprised that they would try to sign a catcher, but it surprises me that they would commit that kind of time and dollars to a catcher with Josmil Pinto on the verge of coming up. I guess I see two possibilities:

1) The Twins just really like the "half-time" arrangement that they had the last couple years with Doumit and Mauer, and would look to do that with Pinto and Saltalamacchia. It woudl keep both well-rested, and both can hit enough to man the DH spot when they're not catching. I think you could say the same about AJ, who the Twins have also been linked to.

The other way this works is for Saltalamacchia and Doumit (if he can catch) to split time this year, giving Pinto some time in AAA, and then Pinto takes Doumit's spot on the roster when his contract ends at the end of this year.

2) I wonder if they would sign Saltalamacchia and then make Pinto available in a trade for young pitching? For whatever reason, the Twins have never seemed to be very high on Pinto. They could view now as a "sell high" opportunity.

With catcher Brian McCann signing yesterday with the Yankees for $85 million over five years, Saltalamacchia is the best remaining catcher on the free agent market. In the Offseason Handbook, we estimated he would sign for 3 years and $24 million, and there was a lot of internal debate about that number. It'll be interesting to see if the Twins would be willing to bear what the market will bear.

I'd love to see it, and not just because it isn't my money. To me, signing Saltalamacchia would represent a proactive instead of reactive move, giving the Twins some flexibility and time, as well as improving the offense. I'd still rather they go after pitching, but it's rare to nab a guy who is just 28 years old in free agency, especially one with Saltalamacchia's performance record. If this doesn't get in the way of adding another pitcher (and I don't think it does), it's a savvy move.
    Last edited by John Bonnes; 11-24-2013 at 09:59 AM.

Really? A complete waste? I guess we'll see what you think in June, if we don't sign another catcher.

If #2 is the case, maybe they feel strongly about a catching prospect in the draft or Stuart Turner in a couple seasons.

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The thing that makes me concerned about Salty is this.

He's a Free Agent and Boston is shopping for a catcher. Either... He doesn't want to return to the World Series champions or the World Series champions don't want him back.

I'm passing.
    "9. Lipstick"

"How can Canada produce Tie Domi and not have a better military"?

"I noticed while robbing the First State Bank last night that if you go into the vault when nobody is looking... You can get away with it".

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If the Twins sign a catcher that makes every pitcher better, wouldn't it be helpful? I don't think any of the current three catchers is close to average defensively. I guess the fourth Fryer must be or he wouldn't be on the roster. Maybe Pinto and Herrmann can get to average and we know where Doumit ranks.

Is it possible that our young pitchers will develop better under a good catcher? Is Saltalamacchia the catcher?

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/201...hing-interview

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 137 Times in 74 Posts
    This isn't getting fixed in one off season, sign anybody that makes the team better and Salty would make the team better. Still plenty of money left for pitching and any other good players he can find, the key word is good and not more aaaa type guys.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    I'm guessing they are just kicking tires, but I like this move. Salty and Doumit, then Salty and Pinto. It's great to add power at catcher and DH. This won't impact our search for starting pitching, we have all kinds of money available. The problem with pitching is finding value, not money.

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Chasing Top Catcher Jarrod Saltalmacchia?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    I would sign him for 3/30. He's a good player and it solves the problem at catcher and possibly gives the Twins a trade asset in Pinto.

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    The thing that makes me concerned about Salty is this.

He's a Free Agent and Boston is shopping for a catcher. Either... He doesn't want to return to the World Series champions or the World Series champions don't want him back.

I'm passing.
    I need to Clarify... I'm not passing... I'll take him and say welcome aboard...

He's not my first choice... Is a better way to put it.

I'm still pro AJ.
    "9. Lipstick"

"How can Canada produce Tie Domi and not have a better military"?

"I noticed while robbing the First State Bank last night that if you go into the vault when nobody is looking... You can get away with it".

With our primary catching options now being Doumit, Pinto and maybe Hermann I can't see how you don't at least consider what's on the free agent market. How does Salty's addition subtract from this team? Even if Pinto develops into the catch we're hoping for, adding Salty or even AJ is still a very prudent decision.

Exactly, it took a while but someone finally got the point across. It's about getting better. This move would make us better. Can I measure it and tell you how much? No, but it makes us better and it still gives us money to sign some pitching.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I say do it. He seems to be improving every year and there is some guy named Mauer who can work with him a little bit also.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    If we sign Salty, 1 of 2 things will happen
    1 He has a good season and we trade his undervalue contract for a package of prospects.
    2.He has a bad season and we have to keep him.

But by signing him,the team is sending a message that they are ready to spend on quality...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    Well I guess my concern is that thus far this off-season most pitchers have been going for reasonable prices while the position players have been getting overpaid. Seeing as the Twins need pitching more than anything (or any team) they should be devoting their efforts to that front.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    If we sign Salty, 1 of 2 things will happen
    1 He has a good season and we trade his undervalue contract for a package of prospects.
    2.He has a bad season and we have to keep him.

But by signing him,the team is sending a message that they are ready to spend on quality...
    The Twins don't generally trade guys when they are at their peak value. Lately they've been selling low.

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 111 Times in 67 Posts
    Salty really only hits well from the left side; I'd worry that TF could drain some of that power. I'd honestly like to spend money elsewhere.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Salty has experience being on a winner which can hopefully add to the environment the Twins are trying to create on the team next season. The question is will the Twins only sign 1 pitcher as a result and then go dumpster diving for another or will they still be able and willing to sign 2 pitchers this offseason.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast