Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The greatest blueprint you will ever see

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 131 Times in 60 Posts
    Coax DeRosa out of retirement and it sounds like a plan.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Also of note:

Hughes in Yankee stadium: 4.98 ERA in his career.
    Hughes on the road: 4.10 ERA in his career.

He is a flyball pitcher, so moving to Minnesota would help.
    By ERA he is still less than average as a pitcher away from Yankee stadium. Wouldn't that make him an expensive Correia? As far as potential goes, he has 6 years in the majors to show one good season.

Super Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Liked 785 Times in 492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Great plan, and realistic to boot.
    This. In lieu of the like button
    "Peace, love, dope! Now get the hell out!"
    Resistance is Sisyphusian!

Liked 317 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, it's a very good plan, but I'd rather have them add Kazmir instead of Santana at this point. But that is a detail.

The issue is having the Twins cut ties with the likes of Willingham, Doumit, Mastroianni and such, which they will never do.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Dave for GM.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Yeah, it's a very good plan, but I'd rather have them add Kazmir instead of Santana at this point. But that is a detail.

The issue is having the Twins cut ties with the likes of Willingham, Doumit, Mastroianni and such, which they will never do.
    Willingham and Doumit are both gone after this year, and while Doumit appears to not serve a major purpose at this point, Willingham can still be a nice player for the 2014 Twins, its not like there are 3 superior options for the OF.....yet. Hopefully the Twins can get something of value for Willingham/Doumit at the deadline if both rebound a bit. However, I'm not overly concerned since neither is really blocking anyone. (A case could be made for Doumit/Pinto I suppose)

Mastro is harmless, he is a 4th OF who could easily be replaced by Pressley.

Kazmir would be a much superior option to Santana, however I don't think he would come on a minimal deal like that and I don't think there is any realistic chance the Twins sign 3 "legit" SP this off-season.
    Last edited by SpiritofVodkaDave; 11-25-2013 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One View Post
    By ERA he is still less than average as a pitcher away from Yankee stadium. Wouldn't that make him an expensive Correia? As far as potential goes, he has 6 years in the majors to show one good season.
    Couple things, 4.10 ERA is quite a bit less than Correias career numbers (many of which where helped in the NL/pitcher friendly parks)

I would argue that Hughes has actually had 3 good (but not great) seasons in 2009, 2010 and 2012. Additionally I think a change of scenery could be perfect for him, before he ever pitched in the big leagues he was already being named the savior of the Yankees rotation, which is a TON of pressure, additionally the Yankees screwed with him a bit by moving him in and out of the rotation when he first came up.

I think by going somewhere like Minnesota, the lack of media/pressure/bright lights could be beneficial to him (see Pavano?) additionally he does have pretty nice stuff and is able to strike a good number of guys out, his main problem has been the long ball, so there is a chance Anderson could help him out on that, and Target field would be beneficial as well. (Especially with a defense that could include Hicks and Buxton) for at least 2 of the 3 years of his contract.

Could he not get better and just stay the same? Sure, its a risk, but unlike a signing like Correia, Arroyo etc there is a good amount of upside if things click.

8. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Tibs (11-26-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    I'm not big on Saltalamacchia as I think his offense is historically way too inconsistant. I'm not against him exactly but three years is a lot for such an questionable non-pitcher.

The timing of how these guys sign might come into play though. Saltalamacchia is getting all the press, and with McCann off the table he might be the next to go. If the Twins signed him, it would leave them with a lot less maneuverability to sign the needed two or three starters.

On the other hand, starters may be more inclined to come to Minnesota if they first signed a well respected signal caller. He currently seems to have that rep anyway, though I suspect that might have more to do with catching veteran pitchers Lester, Buccholz, Lackey, Dempster and Peavy.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I'm not big on Saltalamacchia as I think his offense is historically way too inconsistant. I'm not against him exactly but three years is a lot for such an questionable non-pitcher.

The timing of how these guys sign might come into play though. Saltalamacchia is getting all the press, and with McCann off the table he might be the next to go. If the Twins signed him, it would leave them with a lot less maneuverability to sign the needed two or three starters.

On the other hand, starters may be more inclined to come to Minnesota if they first signed a well respected signal caller. He currently seems to have that rep anyway, though I suspect that might have more to do with catching veteran pitchers Lester, Buccholz, Lackey, Dempster and Peavy.
    he has 3 years of .740, .740 and .804 OPS's. I will take the .740 OPS from a solid defender for 3/30 anyday if it means that Doumit and Fryer rarely appear behind the plate. I like Pinto but he could easily be a huge disappointment.

Can we please do away with the "Salty...historically...inconsistent?" because it really isn't relevant at all when he has shown consistency in his last 3 seasons (not surprisingly in the least coincides with him entering his prime)

He matured, changed his approach and became a better hitter, it happens a lot and 3 years worth of sample size show this.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I thought I saw Hughes wants a 1 year deal. Yeah it will help some to be in TF but Tiger & Sox stadiums are band boxes. The Royals park is about average. An extreme fly ball pitcher does not really work in this division & they still travel to the Yankees & Sox fields a fair amount. The team is loaded on rhp in the bullpen & Joba has never stayed healthy. Fien, Burton, & Swarzak. Tonkin & Zac Jones as well as May I don't see that as a smart or likely move.

If Willingham is your full time DH & they hope to transition Pinto to a DH/C come 2015 Salty makes a lot of sense.

I really hope they really invest the majority of the available payroll into SP. Garza @ 5/85, Nolasco @ 4/55 or Arroyo @ 3/30, & Capuano @ 2/18 they are investing 30-40 mill a year into the rotation but it's really where it's needed.

3 pitchers would stabilize the rotation immensely while allowing Meyer 1 more year to build up his arm (IP wise) & letting Pinto be an affordable C allowing this to take place. I can't see Pinto not being atleast near Saltys value D by 2015/2016.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Couple things, 4.10 ERA is quite a bit less than Correias career numbers (many of which where helped in the NL/pitcher friendly parks)

I would argue that Hughes has actually had 3 good (but not great) seasons in 2009, 2010 and 2012. Additionally I think a change of scenery could be perfect for him, before he ever pitched in the big leagues he was already being named the savior of the Yankees rotation, which is a TON of pressure, additionally the Yankees screwed with him a bit by moving him in and out of the rotation when he first came up.

I think by going somewhere like Minnesota, the lack of media/pressure/bright lights could be beneficial to him (see Pavano?) additionally he does have pretty nice stuff and is able to strike a good number of guys out, his main problem has been the long ball, so there is a chance Anderson could help him out on that, and Target field would be beneficial as well. (Especially with a defense that could include Hicks and Buxton) for at least 2 of the 3 years of his contract.

Could he not get better and just stay the same? Sure, its a risk, but unlike a signing like Correia, Arroyo etc there is a good amount of upside if things click.
    If the Twins don't sign or trade for 2 top of the rotation arms Hughes would have the pressure of being the Ace of the staff here. He can't stand high pressure (Yankee Stadium).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12