Thread: SS, position of strength?

SS, position of strength?

After seeing the size of the deal Peralta signed and Drew is eyeing I have to think the value of Escobar and Florimon is pretty high, relatively speaking. Both rate well defensively, are under team control for 4-5 years and stand good chances to improve as hitters. We signed Bartlett and Santana will be in AAA to start the year so there is enough depth to move one of them. If we could upgrade our big league OF depth or pickup a solid prospect in return we should do it.

Quote Originally Posted by twinsin17 View Post
    After seeing the size of the deal Peralta signed and Drew is eyeing I have to think the value of Escobar and Florimon is pretty high, relatively speaking. Both rate well defensively, are under team control for 4-5 years and stand good chances to improve as hitters. We signed Bartlett and Santana will be in AAA to start the year so there is enough depth to move one of them. If we could upgrade our big league OF depth or pickup a solid prospect in return we should do it.
    I think everyone agrees that we can live with Florimon at SS as long as we fill the rest of the offense with better sticks. We can't be weak(offensively) at CF, SS, C, 3B,LF and DH. It'd be nice if Florimon was the 9 hitter, with a little bit of pop around a lineup full of decent hitters. Hopefully Buxton, Sano and Pinto/Salty can fill some of those holes in the near future.

Florimon's defense was ranked highly by all metrics, no?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Escobar and Florimon won't net you much of anything in the trade. The fact they are starting/playing SS in the MLB are perfect examples of why SS is so thin currently.

Don't get me wrong, I like Florimon as a stop gap for a year or two, but that is all he is IMO as I don't see him ever topping 1.5 WAR (IMO anything below a 2.0 you need to constantly be looking for an upgrade)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Your bar for "strength of position" is way too low. If anything, SS is a position of need. However, the need for starting pitching is so great that external additions at other positions serve as a distraction at this time.

Honestly, I think Florimon would be a perfect utility infielder, give Bartlett a chance.

I think and hope the Twins are happy with Florimon for now. We've had multiple mid-season tryouts at short since Bartlett was traded, and it's been ugly.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Position of strength? No. Position we could use an upgrade at? Maybe. High on the priority list? No. Are Florimon and Escobar worth anything in trade? Doubtful. I am fine with Florimon for the time being with the hope that Santana, Polanco or Goodrum might be an upgrade in a year or two. The first, second and third priority is SP. You could convince me that C is #3.

Liked 320 Times in 190 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics Guy View Post
    I am fine with Florimon for the time being with the hope that Santana, Polanco or Goodrum might be an upgrade in a year or two..
    Polanco maybe.

I never understood the love for Santana (his upside is utility, maybe.) His career OBP in 6 MiLB seasons is .318, short of Florimon's .321 in 7 MiLB seasons. SLG% and OPS is kind of irrelevant with these guys. Goodrum has played 4 seasons of pro ball and he is still stack in A ball... He should had been in New Britain by now. Hard to project whether he will ever be a major league player at this point. Levi Michael looks like more like a first round bust as every season passes. Not much depth.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Position of adequacay, sure. Strength? No. But that's better than some of their other positions.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Question: If Rosario presses the issue, what are the odds Dozier could move back to SS? IF he could even be average defensively his bat most certainly would make up for it and make him above average overall.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Question: If Rosario presses the issue, what are the odds Dozier could move back to SS? IF he could even be average defensively his bat most certainly would make up for it and make him above average overall.
    Dave can't answer your question, but I would play the best defensive SS we can find next to Sano, for at least the first year or so. Florimon works. I have no doubt an upgrade at SS is on Ryan's to-do list. There is a college SS in the top 5 in the 2014 draft, and I believe King Theo will listen to offers for Starlin Castro at some point in time.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    Florimon is above average defensively…nuff said. With all the other holes in the lineup (pitching, catcher, pitching and pitching) we can live with him for a long time. Finding a competent SS is hard to do. Florimon is competent. Finding a dude SS is damn near impossible. If we can acquire pitching and some of our pitching from the farm turns out, THEN we can start looking for a shortstop.

To tell you the truth, I would rather have Florimon and his contract/attitude than Castro and his. Something about Castro screams immature and unfocused (not because he is Latino as Florimon is also Latino).

Has everyone forgot about Aledmys Diaz, the cuban defector? He apparently will be available in February, and unlike Arruebarruena has a bat that profiles as significantly better than Florimon. The Twins were reportedly interested in him earlier this year, before his availability was delayed because he apparently lied about his age (saying he was 23 when he was actually younger): http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...ota-twins.html

Liked 320 Times in 190 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    To tell you the truth, I would rather have Florimon and his contract/attitude than Castro and his. Something about Castro screams immature and unfocused (not because he is Latino as Florimon is also Latino).
    Castro who? Fidel is dead and Juan retired
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    Dave can't answer your question, but I would play the best defensive SS we can find next to Sano, for at least the first year or so. Florimon works. I have no doubt an upgrade at SS is on Ryan's to-do list. There is a college SS in the top 5 in the 2014 draft, and I believe King Theo will listen to offers for Starlin Castro at some point in time.
    Castro has trouble defensively, doesn't he? If that's true Castro and Sano at SS and 3B wouldn't be ideal. He had a bad offensive year last year.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Castro who? Fidel is dead and Juan retired
    Starlin Castro for the Cubs?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 31 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Polanco maybe.

I never understood the love for Santana (his upside is utility, maybe.) His career OBP in 6 MiLB seasons is .318, short of Florimon's .321 in 7 MiLB seasons. SLG% and OPS is kind of irrelevant with these guys. Goodrum has played 4 seasons of pro ball and he is still stack in A ball... He should had been in New Britain by now. Hard to project whether he will ever be a major league player at this point. Levi Michael looks like more like a first round bust as every season passes. Not much depth.
    I don't dispute your stats here but am curious as he was voted "best prospect" or something like that this year in the Eastern League. I'm wondering what the other managers are seeing in him? Stick him in Rochester and see if he sinks or swims......

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 31 Times in 16 Posts
    I would not be shocked if it was Florimon for a while. He may learn to hit a little and keep the job and / or nobody else is knocking the door down to replace him.