Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Kazmir to the A's for 2/22

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 207 Times in 116 Posts

Kazmir to the A's for 2/22

Surprised a bit by the AAV, but a relative low risk for the As. Wonder if this makes Anderson more cheaply available.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Surprised a bit by the AAV, but a relative low risk for the As. Wonder if this makes Anderson more cheaply available.
    Why all the Brett Anderson talk? 2yr/$20M for a guy with injury history? I did forget to add that you would have to give up some quality prospects to boot. Since Kasmir is gone I would throw a 2yr/$25M offer at Colon and hope he at least thinks about.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 207 Times in 116 Posts
    It's an 8 million dollar deal for next year with a 12 million option. He'd be a good buy-low candidate, who had top of the rotation potential and is still young (25). He might not cost much in terms of prospects, because of his injury history and his contract.

The Twins need to explore every opportunity to find frontline starters; on a one year 8 mil contract, costing a non-top ten prospect, Anderson might be worth the risk.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    If Anderson is available depends on what the A's think of Milone. With Milone as your emergency starter and bullpen guy then Anderson is not available. With Milone in the rotation Anderson becomes an extremely expensive bullpen guy., Anderson could then be traded for a decent bullpen arm and prospect. That is the Oakland A Way. I could see it happening if they liked the deal. They need a closer, if they liked Burton enough, as he was originally drafted by them, the Twins could swing a deal.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like Hughes a lot better at 3/24 than I like Kazmir at 2/22. I'ma little surprised there seems to be so much love out there for a guy who was a minor league signing just a year ago. It's one year. And, as I recall, he padded his stats pretty well against the Twins.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    I like Hughes a lot better at 3/24 than I like Kazmir at 2/22. I'ma little surprised there seems to be so much love out there for a guy who was a minor league signing just a year ago. It's one year. And, as I recall, he padded his stats pretty well against the Twins.
    It may just be one year but while surprising he had put up stats like that before in his career. Of course a guy who strikes out over a batter an inning with a low BB/9 is going to get people excited.

I'd have preferred Kazmir(don't get me wrong, like the Hughes signing as well). Both Hughes and him have some injury concerns so I'll take the guy with the track record of being a great #2 at times vs hoping a more friendly home stadium significantly alters Hughes' performance.

I like the Twins signings I think they are fair offer for quality of pitcher were obtaining and I believe there is some upside potential for Twins. I like idea that they are still in market for pitcher because the Twins can't be over stocked on starting pitching. Pelfry I think is still possibility even if you and Gleeman disagree. I look at last years statistics and I think Pelfry could become significant starter if he continues improve from his surgery on short term basis. I think all people got to hate Pelfry because of his slow pace at the games but I think that can be corrected some. I still would like see the Twins sign SS or acquire one through a trade for the future. The Twins don't have anyone they would be blocking if acquired SS. Also signing of Catcher would be good in case Pinto regresses this year. I think the Twins could use a platoon system in right field with Plouffe and Parmelee if Sanyo makes the team. But I don't think twins brain trust would ever use that. Also then they could trade Doumit and let Arcia and Willham fill left and DH. Then they could bring up Hermann to be backup outfielder and 3rd catcher.

Liked 3,170 Times in 1,357 Posts
    I would have preferred this over Hughes.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    I like the Hughes deal way better than Kazmir. I've been hoping the Twins would avoid him since the beginning of the offseason, mostly because of his easy competition. For example:

Scott Kazmir ERA vs MIN, MIA, NYM (7 starts): 1.05
    Scott Kazmir vs Others (22 starts): 5.17

After signing with the Twins, he won't have the chance to start against them 5 times.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The A's are a better situation. They have a better defense and better team overall. It is a pitcher's park. It would have taken more than 2/22 to get him on the a Twins. Maybe 3/30.

I think it was an extra year that brought Hughes and Nolasco the Twins way.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    Good deal for the A's and it would have been a good one for the Twins. Let's not forget that Kazmir had only thrown 350 MLB innings since 2008 (his last good season) and those innings were quite awful. Perhaps he bounced back last year and this will work out well. Or perhaps this is 22M flushed down the toilet. Luckily (for an MLB team) that amount won't cripple a team.