Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dioner Navarro a Twin?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries

Dioner Navarro a Twin?

Peter Gammons says that Navarro is close to a deal with an undisclosed team. The Blue Jays and Twins are thought to be possible suitors.

Navarro's stats last season: .300/.365/.492 with 13 home runs in 89 games.

Do you hope it's the Twins? What would you think the contract should be if it is?

If they did sign him, you would think he would split time with Pinto. Navarro's other seasons have not been too hot; he's played in only 225 and he's been with a different team every year since 2010. Sounds like a back-up/platoon catcher to me.

Blog Entries
    I agree, tcarlic. That may be why he would make sense for us. He might take a 1 year deal and that could help Pinto slowly adjust to MLB and being the guy in 2015. I would like this as much as Salty.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 66 Times in 49 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He had a good 2013. That's almost it for anything of value from this guy. There is no way I would waste any time with him.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
    I wouldn't love the signing, but I wouldn't hate it and I don't exactly disagree with it.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    It's really difficult to evaluate a deal when none of the terms are known.

Blog Entries
    True, but I still think it's fun to consider what you would prefer before the deal rather than after.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 52 Times in 39 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd take him over Salty. Especially for the price that Navarro would claim. He was a beast for Tampa in the playoffs a few years back. He speaks Spanish (he's from Venezuela) as well, something many here are waiting in a veteran. Spanish speaking coach on the field and mentor to Pinto, who is also Venezuelan.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 52 Times in 39 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm seeing Marlins or Blue Jays...

Do you have a link with the Twins in the mix..?

For what it's worth: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...ward-deal.html

It just cites Gammons on Twitter saying that Navarro is "moving toresolution," with a team.

Blog Entries
    No, just MLBTradeRumor saying that the Blue Jays and us were in the market. Nothing saying we were in talks with him. Sorry if I lead you astray.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ugh, if we sign him, no trading Pinto for pitching. Don't want him

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hope they would put defense as a priority in seeking a catcher. If that's the case, they won't consider Navarro.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 31 Times in 16 Posts
    Therein lies the rub....there are no good defensive catchers available that can hit at all. I'd rather have Navarro than Salty. Actually, I'd rather play Doumit, trade him at the deadline and sink or swim with Pinto, et al.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    The Twins appear to agree with the view point listed above.

I disagree. I don't believe that Doumit can possibly hit well enough to make up for the runs he costs with his defense.

Mike Fasts study of a few years ago and the various studies since lead several teams to put a priority on receiving the ball. Joe Maddon said last winter that Molina saved them over 50 runs. They gave him another contract and he can't hit. Doumit is the other end of the spectrum.

I hope the Twins are correct and the Rays, Yankees and Pirates are wrong. I am not confident in that hope.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post

I disagree. I don't believe that Doumit can possibly hit well enough to make up for the runs he costs with his defense.

Mike Fasts study of a few years ago and the various studies since lead several teams to put a priority on receiving the ball. Joe Maddon said last winter that Molina saved them over 50 runs. They gave him another contract and he can't hit. Doumit is the other end of the spectrum.

I hope the Twins are correct and the Rays, Yankees and Pirates are wrong. I am not confident in that hope.
    Defensive catcher that can't hit. Is Drew still available?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I sure hope we arent one of the unknown teams. Navarro has never been anything.

Liked 124 Times in 57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post

I don't believe for a second that Molina saved 50 runs. He may have technically framed 50 pitches for called strike threes, but in reality umpires have such a wide zone that 2/3 of them would probably have been called anyway.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 66 Times in 49 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For me it's Salty or bust. I am ok either way. He's not great, but he's good. Otherwise call me insane for trusting Pinto and Herrmann to improve defensively.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by minn55441 View Post
    Defensive catcher that can't hit. Is Drew still available?
    If Drew is an elite defensive catcher, he will have a major league job. He is probably a little above average. That isn't enough to make up for his bat. The work done on framing numbers suggest that the difference between his defense and Doumit's is greater than the difference in their bats, but that has more to do with Doumit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast