Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No Offers Yet...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

No Offers Yet...

To Arroyo, Garza, Nolasco, or Hughes per Doogie Wolfson (posted on MLBTR).

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...on-arroyo.html

It's ok. I'm sure none will sign elsewhere before we would even be able to get an offer in.
    Last edited by edavis0308; 11-26-2013 at 08:44 AM.

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Per Doogie Wolfson, not MLBTR. They just reiterated what Doogie reported.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Per Doogie Wolfson, not MLBTR. They just reiterated what Doogie reported.
    Oops, good call.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post

It's ok. I'm sure none will sign elsewhere before we would even be able to get an offer in.
    All three of those guys (and probably Hughes) will be wanting multiple year deals. It's very likely that their agents have asked teams not to submit offers yet while they are trying to drum up interest with other orgs. I'm sure their agents will let all teams try and push up their value before they sign somewhere.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    All three of those guys (and probably Hughes) will be wanting multiple year deals. It's very likely that their agents have asked teams not to submit offers yet while they are trying to drum up interest with other orgs. I'm sure their agents will let all teams try and push up their value before they sign somewhere.
    I agree. I'm guessing they are waiting to see how Tanaka plays out.
    Last edited by howieramone; 11-26-2013 at 10:47 AM.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Nolasco's agent has already stated his client has multiple 4 year offers so if he is trying to suppress offers he is not doing a good job.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ricky-n...205513603.html

Liked 1,035 Times in 470 Posts
    Agents ask teams not to put offers on the table?
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
    My guess is that very few contract offers not made are accepted.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

9. These 3 users like Winston Smith's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (11-26-2013), SpiritofVodkaDave (11-26-2013), USAFChief (11-26-2013)

My biggest question is, who says these guys are going to tell the Twins when they actually have offers? What is stopping these guys from signing before the Twins even get a chance to put an offer out? There are multiple teams that are going to bid just as much money as the Twins are for their services. Am I wrong?

Twins should be making some offers. If for no other reason, to let them know the Twins mean business. If we are worried about players not wanting to come here because we stink, sign a guy! If we sign Garza, i'm pretty sure that might help sway Salty or Arroyo our way more than before.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscowboysbulls View Post
    My biggest question is, who says these guys are going to tell the Twins when they actually have offers? What is stopping these guys from signing before the Twins even get a chance to put an offer out? There are multiple teams that are going to bid just as much money as the Twins are for their services. Am I wrong?

Twins should be making some offers. If for no other reason, to let them know the Twins mean business. If we are worried about players not wanting to come here because we stink, sign a guy! If we sign Garza, i'm pretty sure that might help sway Salty or Arroyo our way more than before.
    To your first part, I'm not sure. In the Sano signing stories, as reported in the Pitt papers, it was revealed that the agent told teams not to submit offers until he (the agent) was ready, but Pitt sent him their 2m + deal anyway. The agent was trying to get as many teams interested before the offers came in. Eventually, he told the Twins to make an offer and they did, although under an agreement that the agent wouldn't tell other teams how much the Twins offered, just that they had. Pitt (according to the agent) refused to believe their offer still wasn't the best, thought the agent was making them bid against themselves, so the Twins got him. So I would assume that part of the free agency period involves the agent talking with many teams to gauge levels of interest, teams doing medicals, scouting etc, and then feeling out offers. I very much doubt that a team says "3/30m" right away. I would imagine that Arroyo's agent will eventually ask the Twins to make an offer and might even tell them that their offer is low, and ask if they'd make a higher one.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 304 Times in 180 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post

If their agents are worth anything, you can guarantee that they will call Minnesota and ask if they are willing to up whatever offer is on the table before a pitcher signs.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 340 Times in 193 Posts
    Why would less offers drum up interest? The best way to push up value is to create competition among offers, not suppress them.

Im not worried that we haven't offered anything yet, but c'mon, lets not contort common sense.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 168 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hughes wants a multi-year deal? I thought the conventional wisdom was the opposite.

Also, what purpose would it serve to tell teams not to submit offers? The offer is private between the player/agent and team. The player can just sit on the offer if they want, or if the team says "we want to sign you today" the player can respond "we're not signing before X date." But how does not submitting an offer help "drum up interest"?

Your Sano example doesn't really clarify this. And I'm pretty sure MLB free agent negotiations are a well-oiled machine compared to amateur free agent negotiations in Latin America.

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
    I wonder if the Twins are waiting to see what happens with Tanaka before making any offers...well, one can dream.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Agents ask teams not to put offers on the table?
    Yes, just like their elbows. It's quite rude and embarasses the agents in front of their dinner guests.

17. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Steve Penz (11-26-2013)

I don't want to read too much into something like this, but I know my initial reaction was something along the lines of thinking "here we go again". We have seen some pitchers go off the board already, the pitchers we have interest in we aparently haven't offered to any, but yet we are being aggressive for pitching this offseason? I guess we have Kris Johnson so far. It is early but when you look at things so far, I just find it starting to be quite a bit deflating...until we sign a decent guy or at least are reported to have money on the table to SOMEONE (though no news is good news if it is going to involve Arroyo and three years).

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Or could it just be that ole familar Curly shuffle?
    wait to long then have to sign whats left.
    After all the big clubs pick and choose
    Or run out and sign another KC (yes he did better then most expected)
    Me thinks that is what most fans are worried about.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    I wonder if the Twins are waiting to see what happens with Tanaka before making any offers...well, one can dream.
    If so, I hope their dreams don't get in the way of reality. For the first time in about two decades, genuinely attainable free agent upgrades currently seem to be sitting right in front of the Twins.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 168 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    If their agents are worth anything, you can guarantee that they will call Minnesota and ask if they are willing to up whatever offer is on the table before a pitcher signs.
    Actually, I suspect that making teams bid blind is the best overall strategy for players/agents.

If agents regularly did as you suggested, teams would hesitate to make their best offer right away, as they'd always have the chance to simply top the other guy by $1 (or $1 million) later.

I am sure there are special circumstances, generally when a player strongly prefers a particular organization and wants to give them a "last chance" so to speak. Even then, I am guessing the specific offers are kept mostly secret, maybe just a simple "your original offer was low, but you can bid again if you want, or here is our counter-offer."

Senior Member All-Star
    It doesn't make much sense that agents would tell teams not to submit offers, but perhaps the Twins haven't done so because Garza is their top target and Garza intends on waiting for Tanaka, who he and his agent may view as his biggest comparable. If that's the case, there's likely not much use putting an offer in front of Garza if he's not going to bother looking at it.

Of course waiting for Garza who may be waiting for Tanaka could cause the Twins to lose out on other pitchers.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast