Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The unofficial offseason trade idea dump

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 200 Times in 115 Posts
    Blog Entries

The unofficial offseason trade idea dump

Welcome to the unofficial offseason trade idea dump. This is a running scroll for random trade ideas that anyone has. I'll give a free powerball ticket to any winners, probably. Trade ideas need not be limited to the Twins.

Blog Entries
    Twins trade to Padres: Oswaldo Arcia
    Padres trade to Twins: Yasmani Grandal, 25 (C), and Matthew Wisler, 21 (RHP in AA).

Why the Twins should do it: They need a catcher who can hit and play defense. Grandal is that. Former top ~50 prospect. Switch hitter. Shows up on pitch framing leaderboards. I've seen him catch and to my eye he looks impressive, bites off big chunks of the corners and sets a nice low target. He is however coming off knee reconstruction surgery (performed by the surgeon who did RG3's and AD's). Thus, his asking price *might* never be lower, and I am including a high upside near-ready RHP starter in Wisler as insurance.

Why the Padres should do it: Padres are desperate for a corner outfield bat, Arcia could fill that role for them for many years. They also have top C prospect Austin Hedges waiting in the wings while Nick Hundley keeps his spot on the big league club warm. They have plenty of good SP pitching depth so trading Wisler shouldn't hurt them too badly.
    Last edited by Willihammer; 11-21-2013 at 10:53 AM.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think trading Perkins is likely going to be the best move the Twins can make. I like Perk, but I'd strongly consider flipping him to Boston for Raynuado or Webster (and if we are lucky, you get Barnes as a Trevor May type project). Boston had their fair share of closer struggles last season.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 63 Times in 42 Posts
    Arcia to the Rangers for starting pitching - Rangers have pitching to spare and Arcia gives them a young Nelson Cruz who hits 30 HR in that park.

Perkins to the Orioles for a package around Eduarado Rodriguez, 20 year old in AA. Back end top 100 type prospect (Sickels had him in his year end top 75 honorable mention, Mayo has him #84. Balt had a horrible bullpen last year - they should be looking to upgrade and any of Perkins, Burton or Fein could be of interest to them. They have some young pitching guys with potential but Rodriguez is the best (after Bundy and Gausman but they ain't getting moved). Wright had a good year in the eastern league - similar to Trevor May. Jonathan Schoop is a supposedly good defender up the middle if we wanted another MI. Kline, Berry etc - they have some arms to move if we wanted them. I think Perkins should get a top prospect type back but a quantity move could make sense, esp since I think Ryan is pretty good at stealing A ball talent.

Dozier to Atlanta for a package around Sims/Wood. Depends on how much Atlanta values Dozier. If they think he is a 4 WAR type, he's a good replacement for Uggla on a win-now team who is also very cheap and this makes sense. If they think last year was a fluke, nothing happens. Sims and Wood are two excellent young arms with #3 upside. Sims was ranked #60 by Sickels and 92 by Mayo. Wood made the majors in just a little over a year after only 24 minor league starts.

Blog Entries
    Uggla is still only 33. I wonder if they'd throw him in as a salary dump? 2/26 left on that deal. Possible bounceback guy.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like this thread. I wonder what Arcia, Travis Harrison, and Danny Santana could net the Twins in terms of pitching out there.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Uggla is still only 33. I wonder if they'd throw him in as a salary dump? 2/26 left on that deal. Possible bounceback guy.
    I had thought his contract was over. That probably makes a Dozier trade unlikely.

Liked 323 Times in 193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If the Twins trade Arcia, can someone name the OF of the near future like 2015? Or a LH power bat? I guess Parmelee might break through, but...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was just wondering what they could get in a scenario as a measure. I am not about to be willing to trade Arcia.

Senior Member Double-A SgtSchmidt11's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No trade for Arcia, the outfield immediate depth isn't great plus I don't understand the appeal of trading a starter for another without a replacement.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    If the Twins trade Arcia, can someone name the OF of the near future like 2015? Or a LH power bat? I guess Parmelee might break through, but...
    Hicks/Buxton/Plouffe - don't think LH power plays well in TF, I'm ok with having good LH OBP hitters.

I don't really want to trade Arcia either unless the other team overpays but I'd certainly explore it.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 139 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The problem here is that the Twins don't really have much to trade. Obviously there is no starter who could net much (except for Meyer) and of the position players (excluding Buck and Sano) there isn't much either. As Shane has mentioned on the 40-man thread there is an abundance of late-20s marginal major leaguers who couldn't net one future starting pitcher or starting position player. The others are all pretty vital to the team this year and in the future: Dozier, Pinto, Arcia, Hicks and Perkins. The two veterans could go for the right price even though there isn't anyone established to fill their role.

Blog Entries
    I'm not holding my breath for Parmelee or Plouffe, so Rosario would be my answer just because he hasn't busted yet.

Trading Arcia would hurt. I like him, a lot. I think his talent is real and he seems to have an edge to him which I think this team is in desperate need of. But you know what they say about trades - in a fair one, both sides walk away pissed. I just view C and SP as bigger holes than corner outfield.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    I've been wondering about the trade prospects for Ryan Pressly. He had a good year as a reliever, seems likely to have a future as a good reliever, was highly regarded in the past, could still be turned into a starter in a team wants to, has options remaining and a team could take a year to let him try to start at AAA.

He wouldn't bring back a monster return based on where he is today. To me he's a low ceiling/high floor type of guy, but I just have a feeling that there is a team out there that would really like his potential...it's a matter of finding that team. Being young & cheap makes him an option for every team. He'd be nice to keep, but he still profiles as being maybe the 5th best reliever in the bullpen, so if they are going to trade a reliever, it's not the end of the world.

I'll throw this one out: Ryan Pressly for Danny Espinoza. Middle infield is the most obvious place for the Twins to try to upgrade and Espinoza is a gamble, but has the potential to add some pop.
    Last edited by Craig in MN; 11-21-2013 at 01:29 PM.

I would be all over Brett Anderson in Oakland. The next guys I would be in line to inquire about would be one of Arizona's pitchers.... McCarthy, collmenter or Cahill. Next I would be at san fran's door asking about vogelsong. Not one of these guys are the wow factor but could help us for a year or two.

Ryan Doumit for anyone with a pulse. I just hate seeing him and his mediocre-ness take up a roster spot.

I'm not sure if waiting until the deadline is a great idea for Doumit, Willingham, or Correia. Yes, their value now is very minimal but at least we can clear playing spots and hopefully throw some kids out to the wolves and see what comes back. We should take this (hopefully) last year of irrelevancy and build something that can grow together. I will be totally surprised if anyone on the roster in 2015 is born before '83. We aren't that far away provided our prospects show up. We don't have any albatross contracts. Potentially one of the fastest rebuilds ever if we can establish any decent pitching (most likely trade-based). I'd rather watch a bunch of young kids figure it out over handfuls of ineffective has-beens if ever-wases (C). A young team with a chip on their shoulder could revitalize this organization.

Liked 323 Times in 193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    I'm not holding my breath for Parmelee or Plouffe, so Rosario would be my answer just because he hasn't busted yet.

Trading Arcia would hurt. I like him, a lot. I think his talent is real and he seems to have an edge to him which I think this team is in desperate need of. But you know what they say about trades - in a fair one, both sides walk away pissed. I just view C and SP as bigger holes than corner outfield.
    So you like Rosario as an OF but not Pinto as a C? Pinto produced more than Rosario in the minors in higher levels the past 2 seasons (and in the majors.)

Seriously.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 707 Times in 455 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I want Bonofacio from the Royals... I don't know what he would cost but I want him to play 3B so Plouffe doesn't have to play 3B every day if Plouffe is gonna Struggle.

If Plouffe finds himself... Or if/when Sano comes up... Bonofacio can move to OF... Until Hicks or Buxton are ready... Bonofacio can also back up at 2B and SS.

Plus us we need SPEED!!! We had no speed in 2012!!!

That's my trade and only trade. Does anyone think the Royals would take Doumit for him. The Royals have Giovetella, Getz, Colon on their roster for 2B right now.
    "9. Lipstick"

"How can Canada produce Tie Domi and not have a better military"?

"I noticed while robbing the First State Bank last night that if you go into the vault when nobody is looking... You can get away with it".

Blog Entries
    So you like Rosario as an OF but not Pinto as a C? Pinto produced more than Rosario in the minors in higher levels the past 2 seasons (and in the majors.)

Seriously.
    Fair enough. If his bat is good enough to stick then by all means I'd have Pinto in the outfield instead of Rosario. God knows he could hardly look any worse than Arcia out there.

A good defensive catcher who can also hit is pretty invaluable. So is a good starting pitcher. So is a corner outfielder who can mash. If the Twins can fill two of those holes by making one, I think they would be wise to consider it, regardless of the names involved.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast