Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 HoF ballot

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Liked 46 Times in 23 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm late to this party after being early to the party. I wrote about my Hall of Fame ballot back at the beginning of December, but I didn't include it until now for strategic reasons.

I forgot.

I am "Big Hall," so I chose 10, but wanted to vote for 17. I also proposed building a second Hall on top of the existing Hall. I actually don't remember writing that; I must have blacked out. Anyway, if you're interested:

http://smartpitcher.blogspot.com/201...me-ballot.html
    Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Love that size of the head talk regarding Bonds and proof of steroid use by big head and big muscles . Check this out:

Me thinks that Thomas has a bigger head and bigger muscles...

And for comparison's sake, here is Thomas' rookie card picture:

You forgot Bonds' rookie card:

Thomas seemed to have gotten chubby cheeks, Bonds seemed to have gotten chubby everything.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Liked 46 Times in 23 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bonds is wearing the hell out of that suit in the top picture. White tie with a white shirt, good look.
    Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    We can go around and around on the PED guys. Those who believe that Bonds-Clemen were a Hall of Famers before they decided to up their performance beyond normal human mean. Those folks are right. On the other side what truely set Clemens and Bonds on Olympus from the rest of the humans playing baseball was how they were able to perform at a high level into the "twilights" of their careers. How they defied the ravages of time that a majority of baseball players face in their mid to late 30's and then into their 40's was truely amazing, and the thought it that it may have had a little to do with what they were sticking into their bodies does linger. So people who look at them as tainted in their later, yet quite prolific, years are skeptical of the level of greatness they achieved. McGwire and the others are in a different category for me. Very good, but a bit of one trick ponies in some cases. (Yeah McGwire beat Hrbek for a Gold Glove one time, that doesn't make him a great asset in the field.) So I see validity in both arguements and respect where both groups are coming from and in the end have to side with one.

My Ballot.

Maddux-Best pitcher of his generation in my mind. (Including pre Roids Clemens.)
    Glavine
    Thomas
    Biggio
    Raines
    Piazza
    *Bagwell
    *Walker
    *Trammel

* Not all together on board with these guys, but would vote for them. I could go either way.

In the end for me it is the Hubris of Clemens and Bonds that holds me back. To take what greatness they already possesed and then doubled down on it to put themselves on such levels out of what looks to me as personal fits of ego. It is one thing to train and work harder to cheat time and baseball history, it is another to find this in a bottle and go beyond the scope of the natural human experience. This is just how I feel, I know that it is contary to others and I am fine with that.

On a side note. Is it time to go out into the wilderness and bring Pete Rose back into the fold. Has his punishment been long enough and is it now time to say we may not fully forgive you and you still cannot work in baseball because we don't trust you, but you were one of the greatest to play the game and we want to honor that legacy on the field. I say this as someone who has never been for letting him into the Hall. But could a accomadation be made in his lifetime?

5. This user likes MWLFan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Willihammer (01-08-2014)

MLB.com writers have released their HoF ballots.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/...&vkey=news_mlb

It's always interesting to see how seriously people take this matter.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts

Baseball Hall of Fame

Because of the Hall of Fame voting this week, I've been looking up some of the greats in baseball history. How has there never been a unanimous selection into baseball's hall of fame? I don't see how someone like Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays etc. isn't a unanimous selection.
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 640 Times in 250 Posts
    I believe Tom Seaver has the highest vote % at something like 98.85 or something.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    MLB.com writers have released their HoF ballots.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/...&vkey=news_mlb

It's always interesting to see how seriously people take this matter.
    See the Dodgers beat writer not voting for anyone but Morris. Steroid era.

Quote Originally Posted by thetank View Post
    See the Dodgers beat writer not voting for anyone but Morris. Steroid era.
    He's been taking a LOT of heat for that.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    He's been taking a LOT of heat for that.
    As he should. I'm in the anti-PED camp but his rationale is stupid. Morris and Maddox pitched in the same league for 8 years. When does he think the steroid era started? There is no firm date, but I think we can safely say Jose Canseco was juicing during Morris' tenure, mostly because he admitted as much. At the very least, he lists Mark McGwire, Rafael Polmeiro, Juan Gonzalez and Ivan Rodriguez as guys he saw juicing (or he actually injected) and every one of them were teammates with Conseco BEFORE Morris retired, meaning Morris also played with or against PED users.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    Because of the Hall of Fame voting this week, I've been looking up some of the greats in baseball history. How has there never been a unanimous selection into baseball's hall of fame? I don't see how someone like Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays etc. isn't a unanimous selection.
    Essentially, it's because a contingent of BBWAA members are so indignant about their own childhood heroes not being elected unanimously that they refuse to allow any of the modern era players go have that honor. "If Mantle wasn't unanimous, nobody should be, so I will never vote for anyone on their first ballot."

It's really just a small group of grouchy old farts (and I say that as an admitted grouchy old fart, myself).
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Liked 323 Times in 193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    I believe Tom Seaver has the highest vote % at something like 98.85 or something.
    Seaver, Nolan Ryan, Ripken Jr and Ty Cobb are all at 98.something in the order mentioned high to low; bet the difference has to do with the total number of ballots cast each year.

That's as far as BBWAA voting goes. There are 2 unanimous members Josh Gibson (1972) & Cool Papa Bell (1974) who received 100% of the votes of the Negro League Committee. The VC committee votes have been recently tabulated only (2008; before that it was just names announced) and there have been no unanimous elections since then.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts

Jacque Jones recieves one HOF vote.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10...2014-announced

Player Votes Pct.
    Greg Maddux 555 97.2
    Tom Glavine 525 91.9
    Frank Thomas 478 83.7
    Craig Biggio 427 74.8
    Mike Piazza 355 62.2
    Jack Morris* 351 61.5
    Jeff Bagwell* 310 54.3
    Tim Raines* 263 46.1
    Roger Clemens* 202 35.4
    Barry Bonds* 198 34.7
    Lee Smith* 171 29.9
    Curt Schilling* 167 29.2
    Edgar Martinez* 144 25.2
    Alan Trammell* 119 20.8
    Mike Mussina 116 20.3
    Jeff Kent 87 15.2
    Fred McGriff* 67 11.7
    Mark McGwire* 63 11.0
    Larry Walker* 58 10.2
    Don Mattingly* 47.0 8.2.0
    Sammy Sosa* 41 7.2
    Rafael Palemeiro* 25.0 4.4
    * = lost votes from previous year

Others receiving votes: Moises Alou, 6; Hideo Nomo, 6; Luis Gonzalez, 5; Eric Gagne, 2; J.T. Snow, 2; Armando Benitez, 1; Jacque Jones, 1; Kenny Rogers, 1.

---

Who in the Twins media has HOF votes?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    This is a joke I don't think Jacque Jones will ever even make it into the Twins HOF. Whoever voted for him should never have voting privileges ever. I know it doesn't hurt anyone to cast a vote for a player but it is an embarrassment to the game when you see the names that get votes(vote). They need to blowup the whole system and kick most of the writers out that are casting votes and come up with a better system.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    As he should. I'm in the anti-PED camp but his rationale is stupid. Morris and Maddox pitched in the same league for 8 years. When does he think the steroid era started? There is no firm date, but I think we can safely say Jose Canseco was juicing during Morris' tenure, mostly because he admitted as much. At the very least, he lists Mark McGwire, Rafael Polmeiro, Juan Gonzalez and Ivan Rodriguez as guys he saw juicing (or he actually injected) and every one of them were teammates with Conseco BEFORE Morris retired, meaning Morris also played with or against PED users.
    Morris will have to make it in the Veterans Committee. Wonder if he pitched fewer complete games if that would have made his ERA and WHIP numbers better since managers today think 6 or 7 innings is enough.

17. This user likes thetank's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DocBauer (01-08-2014)

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 794 Times in 429 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like the guy who voted for Jacque Jones more than I like the guy who voted for Morris but not Maddux. That's just embarrassing.

19. These 4 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

benchwarmerjim (01-08-2014), ChiTownTwinsFan (01-08-2014), snepp (01-08-2014), thetank (01-08-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 200 Times in 115 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll go out on a limb and say it was this guy: http://vimeo.com/83641554

21. This user likes Willihammer's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Don't Feed the Greed Guy (01-09-2014)

On such a stacked ballot (in my mind there are 11-14 HOFers on the ballot) it's sort of annoying when someone gives a vote to a no-doubt non-HOFer. But my biggest problem is Bonds/Clemens. Since the only reason to not vote for them is PED issues, they should both have the exact same votes every year. Anything else reeks of homerism (or potentially another -ism) or someone still hurt that Bonds was a big meanie to the press.

23. This user likes UCLA_YANKEE_COLA's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

thetank (01-08-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post

If he were honest, his would've revealed his rationale as "Hey everyone! Look at me announce my douchebaggery in the attempt to get more eyeballs on my blog!"

"Mediocre breaking balls are a gift from God." - Kirby Puckett

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    I have heard the argument before that the voters should be required to make their votes public and they can then be asked to explain themselves. That makes sense. It is really sad that Baseball has allowed this to become so silly. I know the HOF is a private entity but it represents baseball and should be fixed. I would love to love it. I don't.

26. This user likes Steve Penz's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jm3319 (01-08-2014)

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast