Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Homer Bailey

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 375 Times in 193 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor0333 View Post
    Contingent on him agreeing in principle to a extension I would offer up Polanco with Worley & am see if they bite.
    Would you bite?turd_sandwich_bumper_sticker-ra72adb65d756482d9225a6503a79ed99_v9wht_8byvr_512.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by twinsfaninsaudi View Post
    Heck, I wonder if they would be foolish enough to take Dozier, Gibson, and Plouffe. That would be a steal with a contract extension.
    They would not..... there would be about 20 other teams that would trump that in a heartbeat.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Polanco is a pretty good 2B prospect, if I were the Reds & knew I wasn't going to resign him I would definitely move him. Ploanco + Gibson is a pretty good package. If they wanted someone like Burton or Fien with Twins bullpen depth I could live with that. Allowing them to have Chapman move off the closer role to the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor0333 View Post
    Ploanco + Gibson is a pretty good package.
    Not for someone like Bailey.

They would be better:
    1. Having him pitch the full year, offering him a qualifying offer and taking a first round pick in 2015.
    2. Trading him to anyone else who would actually offer a legit package. If Bailey was on the FA market this year, he likely would be at worst the 2nd or 3rd best, possibly the best (ahead of Garza) history shows us at the very least its going to take at least one top prospect.

5. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Brad Swanson (11-27-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Not for someone like Bailey.

They would be better:
    1. Having him pitch the full year, offering him a qualifying offer and taking a first round pick in 2015.
    2. Trading him to anyone else who would actually offer a legit package. If Bailey was on the FA market this year, he likely would be at worst the 2nd or 3rd best, possibly the best (ahead of Garza) history shows us at the very least its going to take at least one top prospect.
    The 1 year remaining on his contract restricts his value to me. I think Polanco, Gibson, Worley, & Burton should be plenty. I wouldnt offer any prospect higher than Polanco. IF it wactually takes more than that to get him via trade then I would just preffer to move on to

Garza, Arroyo, or Capuano hinestly.

Member Rookie
    Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    If Bailey was on the FA market this year, he likely would be at worst the 2nd or 3rd best, possibly the best (ahead of Garza) history shows us at the very least its going to take at least one top prospect.
    Not sure if I disagree with you in principle on trading for Bailey, but I have to ask-given the glut SPs currently scheduled to hit FA in 2015, is the prospect haul required to outbid other teams for the right to Bailey worth the opportunity to negotiate with him early and get a discount over a price driven up by a hypothetical bidding war that's far from guaranteed to materialize?

I'm leaning towards no, but various extensions by other clubs could sway me (reminder that consensus expectation was that Cano would never see the market at this time last year). I'd put Kershaw, Shields, Scherzer and Lester ahead of him at this stage-which would make him the top option of teams who don't want to pay Kershaw and lose out on the other three and that rarely makes for a lucrative bidding war for a player.

Kershaw, scherzer, and Lester will all likely stay put.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 172 Times in 97 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No. No. No. And....umm...no.

Hot stove fever is growing to epidemic proportions I feel. Lol

Look, Bailey is a very good pitcher, and might even have great tattooed on him. And I would love to have him if TR could find some of his old magic and make a great and fair trade that didn't involve much of our top 10. (Not just prospects, but near prospects like Gibson and Arcia for example)

But with the finances available to us right now, the player player that are available to us right now to add and improve, aren't we better going this direction, as the Twins have proven with rumors and the Nolasco signing?

I wish my crystal ball wasn't in the shop right now so I could tell you all how things are going to work out. But unless TR can find some old magic, I'd rather sign 2 solid FA's to improve our staff, (1 more now) and stick with what we have.

I truly believe a year from now the we'll be saying: "these 2 FA's we signed last year, along with a fully healthy and developed Gibson and stud Meyer, along with (fill in blank or blank possibilities) is the best and deepest rotation we've had in years. And you'd like to trade away multiple talented young players for one who might not sign?

Love Bailey. Don't think I'm in at this point.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234