Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Future of Twins Daily

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
    This is good! Keep up the good work and keep a sense of humor please.

For those that seem to have so much time/want to complain about every thread they don't like, go up to the top right corner and click on the x.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries
    John - You guys have created a wonderful site here. Even as my optimism drains slowly from my body I cannot keep from coming to this site several times a day.

One recommendation: you have the notifications when we get a LIKE. That's nice. How about a notification of when someone hits a REPLY to a post of ours?

The reason I ask is that I have gone back to an article I had commented on and see that someone hit REPLY and commented on my comment. Often these are really helpful comments, clarifying something I had missed or explaining something I did not fully understand. It would be fun to be aware of that REPLY earlier rather than later or never seeing it at all.

Great site. You, Seth, et al, are responsible for me skipping hundreds of hours a year of doing productive things.

Peace
    I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

3. These 3 users like Oldgoat_MN's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Don't Feed the Greed Guy (01-17-2014), Gene Larkin Fan Club (01-17-2014), johnnydakota (11-27-2013)

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 780 Times in 427 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgoat_MN View Post
    One recommendation: you have the notifications when we get a LIKE. That's nice. How about a notification of when someone hits a REPLY to a post of ours?
    It looks like there's a plug-in that does just this but I'll need to vet the code a little before installing it. I'll look into it more over the weekend.

Senior Member Double-A Wookiee of the Year's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great topic--I'll be sure to check out the podcast sometime in the next few days.

Lots of good suggestions so far. I like Twins Twerp's (already implemented!) suggestion of the MLBTR Twins widget, and even though I'm a Twin Cities resident, Smcginnity's idea of using the Twins Daily platform to publicize gatherings of Twins fans on road trips sounds positive.

For me, Twins Daily is always my first stop for Twins news--and so the more it can be a comprehensive source of Twins news, the better. I know when the site first showed up, the idea was that there would never be game summaries. But Brad Swanson's series recaps are wonderful, and I'd love to see some attention to paid to "something significant happened in today's game" without the mandate that every game needs a recap and a narrative built out of what happened.

Maybe the simplest way to put it is I want to trust that if anything worth talking about has happened in Twins world, I'll be able to find it on Twins Daily.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Trust me, this is something we're very cognizant of and talk about fairly regularly. We try to keep a respectful distance from the organization to maintain a "level head" and balanced analysis.
    What's a level head? Just a toilet you can place your beer on without fear of it falling off?

7. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (11-27-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Smcginnity View Post
    Also, you guys should consider selling Twins Daily merchandise. May seem silly, but I'd buy them (mugs, t-shirts etc.).
    me too.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Here's a couple of ideas.

1. save option for when I am typing a post but need to put the project on hold for a day or so. (I am not a fast typer).
    2. links to stats and research sites so we can go strait to the numbers to make are arguements and research faster and easier.
    3. an interactive spreadsheet so we can download and update trade/ roster/ payroll ideas and post it.
    4. Twins Daily Beer. nothing like a cold Brew when typing up a post and drinking an ice cold Twins Daily Beer in a bottle. ( at least 6% alc by volume) Also served at Bonnes future bar.
    5. I'll have to go back to the drawing board for some more great ideas.

10. These 3 users like Brandon's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DocBauer (01-17-2014), johnnydakota (11-27-2013), mini_tb (01-17-2014)

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bwille View Post
    I'd like to see Twins Daily hire me in some capacity......can someone say "dream job"? I already blog on here and love every minute of it, but who wouldn't love their full-time job to be blogging for the Twins and to make a living off it?

First, I just want to thank everyone for their ideas and vision for the future. I really appreciate your responses. Keep 'em coming!

I thought I would address this particular note. In case you don't know, each of the people involved with Twins Daily has a full time job that is NOT Twins Daily. To be honest, I don't know that I ever envision Twins Daily generating enough revenue to replace our current jobs.

That doesn't mean it couldn't become somewhat self-sustaining, or eventually support writers for part time work. But this is still a labor of love for Seth, Nick, Parker, Brock and I and I can't see a time where it won't be.

Also, I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. There is a freedom that comes with that arrangement, and I think that freedom allows us to take risks and try things and not cater to the lowest common denominator. It also means our joy doesn't become our job, which can suck the life out of something we each dearly love.

12. These 3 users like John Bonnes's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Don't Feed the Greed Guy (01-17-2014), glunn (11-28-2013), SD Buhr (02-05-2014)

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It also allows me to call an agent a "scumbag". Something Mike Berardino couldn't do last night.

Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One thing that you should not do, and I really do see the potential risk here: the more and more you get closer to the Twins staff (and you are doing this) the more risk there is to cherish this "access" and stop being critical of the organization in fear of losing it. We got the mainstream media for this Just a thought
    Nope, no risk there. We're given the Twins a method to communicate to readers, not dancing for access to appease anyone.
    @OverTheBaggy

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To be honest, I don't know that I ever envision Twins Daily generating enough revenue to replace our current jobs.
    Though if it ever did grow to that kind of status, I would be comfortable with that... Just saying.

I guess I do consider it a second job, and I say that with pride. During the season, I'll write something 4-6 days a week, but it's also a joy most of the time too. It's a joy because this community at Twins Daily is great, and even if just virtually, it's a great opportunity to meet a lot of people. I just got off the phone with a college coach this afternoon for a story. I've had an opportunity to meet a lot of people with and around the Twins and their minor leagues. So, I hope that lots of people contribute to this forum because we want it to be successful and we want to be THE place to go to find Twins content every day. We want to provide what you want to read, so if you ever have ideas for stories, or for merchandise, or for anything, just let us know. We really do appreciate each and every reader and all those that contribute in the forums and adding blogs. It's a lot of fun!

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker Hageman View Post
    Nope, no risk there. We're given the Twins a method to communicate to readers, not dancing for access to appease anyone.
    As long as we are fair and accurate, they have no problem with any of it.

Liked 1,125 Times in 507 Posts
    Seems like a good place to offer my sincere appreciation for all you do to keep this site up and running. Thank you to all of the admins.

I second the Twins Daily stuff for sale idea. I'd buy some.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

18. This user likes USAFChief's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (11-28-2013)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Could you guys possibly expand to Vikings and Wild stuff as well? To be frank there is a big dredge of nothing on the internet when it comes to discussing those two teams, maybe bring in someone as a "jr" partner to spearhead those blogs/discussions.

I imagine it could help traffic by at least 25%

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Could you guys possibly expand to Vikings and Wild stuff as well? To be frank there is a big dredge of nothing on the internet when it comes to discussing those two teams, maybe bring in someone as a "jr" partner to spearhead those blogs/discussions.

I imagine it could help traffic by at least 25%
    Color me one who would really sour at this site if you got football (and especially) hockey mixed in. Would hate to scour among Vikings and Wild and Wolves posts during this time to the year to find Twins' stuff (like I need to do at 1500, for example.)

Keep it focused and clean and if there is a need there could be sister sites.

Just my 2c
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

21. These 4 users like Thrylos's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

BigTrane (01-18-2014), Don't Feed the Greed Guy (01-17-2014), Gene Larkin Fan Club (01-17-2014), JB_Iowa (12-30-2013)

It works pretty darn fine like it is. Great group of regular writing posters. Yes, links would be great.

A fund-raiser: a Twins Daily Dunk Tank at Twinsfest.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Color me one who would really sour at this site if you got football (and especially) hockey mixed in. Would hate to scour among Vikings and Wild and Wolves posts during this time to the year to find Twins' stuff (like I need to do at 1500, for example.)

Keep it focused and clean and if there is a need there could be sister sites.

Just my 2c
    It wouldn't be hard to seperate it.

Twins daily App, and I love your idea of spring training coverage!

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 625 Times in 242 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Battle my tail off View Post
    Twins daily App, and I love your idea of spring training coverage!
    Your suggestion gets bonus consideration due to you possessing one of the best usernames on the forum.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

26. This user likes snepp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (11-28-2013)

Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It would be great if there was an option to turn off the streaming add that eats up computer resources that runs in the right hand column of some pages. I understand you must be getting some money for advertising......... but I see no options to turn it off and it always comes on automatically. If there is a way and I just don't see it, any tip would be appreciated. Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast