Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Twins Sign Ricky Nolasco?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 394 Times in 208 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscowboysbulls View Post
    I'm glad you are happy Dave. I am as well. I won't be that thrilled if we don't sign another front end guy and settle for Arroyo/Pelfrey unless we saved that money to add a legit bat/catcher to go along with a guy like Arroyo.
    As Rocket Pig said, they have a whole nother off-season to sign some guys as well, 2014 isn't a "go for it year" maybe the best approach is signing a low risk back end guy, shoring up the C position and seeing how Meyer/Gibson/DeDuno/Worley pitch, then sign a top guy heading into 2015.

I still would LOOOOVEEEEE to snag Bailey in a trade.

Well if we are acting like it doesn't really matter, then hold your horses. We have the 2016 and 2017 off-seasons as well to try and add a nice piece. I'm not calling this a "go for it" year. I'm calling it a "go be freakin' competitive for the first time in 3 years" year. Adding two pitchers of good quality helps this team flat-out compete. I guess I am confused what you think we need to save all this money for? As the next two years go by, we are going to hopefully have some very good, young cheap players in a Twins uniform. Most of those players are not going to be starting pitchers. That is why it is completely fine to have a couple solid starters signed for the next 4+ years. I'm not sold on the idea that by 2017, Gibson, Thorpe, May, Meyer, Stewart, Gonsalves are going to be stud fixtures in our rotation. Are you?

3. This user likes twinscowboysbulls's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (11-27-2013)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 394 Times in 208 Posts
    Well if we are acting like it doesn't really matter, then hold your horses. We have the 2016 and 2017 off-seasons as well to try and add a nice piece. I'm not calling this a "go for it" year. I'm calling it a "go be freakin' competitive for the first time in 3 years" year. Adding two pitchers of good quality helps this team flat-out compete. I guess I am confused what you think we need to save all this money for? As the next two years go by, we are going to hopefully have some very good, young cheap players in a Twins uniform. Most of those players are not going to be starting pitchers. That is why it is completely fine to have a couple solid starters signed for the next 4+ years. I'm not sold on the idea that by 2017, Gibson, Thorpe, May, Meyer, Stewart, Gonsalves are going to be stud fixtures in our rotation. Are you?
    If your expectations are to have Garza, Nolasco, and Hellickson as our 1/2/3 next year, you are going to be dissapointed.

Can't please everyone I guess

5. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (11-27-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am sure that they will take several of the rotation spots, along with this years #1 pick. Go for it.

Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Like the move, don't love it until I see details on years and dollars.

He's had a low HR/FB rate the past 3 years, and I think pitching in Target Field will only help sustain that. One thing that somewhat alarms me is that he is always seeming to underperform his FIP and xFIP, as Seth stated earlier, but his ERA seems to be getting closer and closer to those numbers in recent years, so it may just be regression.

Any way, he is the best pitcher in the organization immediately, and it certainly is a step in the right direction to fixing this abomination of a pitching staff. And I would imagine we didn't get a bargain, so it's a clear sign the wallet is open.
    I just started the blog Troy Williamson's Hands which is about MN sports and whatever else I want to write--you can find it at http://troywilliamsonshands.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @dose17

8. This user likes Jdosen's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (11-27-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 174 Times in 108 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins are a better team. It is encouraging that they were willing to take on a contract.

If they sign another pitcher, I hope it is a high upside guy. Meyer needs to be up early next year. Gibson needs to be in the rotation. If we are going to close the door to out of options guys like Worley or Diamond getting a longer look, it must be for a high upside guy. Not a Pelfrey or Arroyo.

10. This user likes jorgenswest's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Brad Swanson (11-27-2013)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 672 Times in 381 Posts
    4/52 would be great just as a change of pace for this team's approach to contracts.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    As Rocket Pig said, they have a whole nother off-season to sign some guys as well, 2014 isn't a "go for it year" maybe the best approach is signing a low risk back end guy, shoring up the C position and seeing how Meyer/Gibson/DeDuno/Worley pitch, then sign a top guy heading into 2015.

I still would LOOOOVEEEEE to snag Bailey in a trade.
    Dont we have like 6 back of the rotation guys already? Nolasco is a #3-4 guy, now if we can add a #2 we have a good chance at .500+, as of now we have a shot at finishing once again in 4th place in the central , unless we have some luck ..Ham rebounds, Waldo and pinto step up,and Worely,DeDuno are healthy, but by adding another better pitcher who knows, sooner or latter our luck has to change ...doesnt it?

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    If your expectations are to have Garza, Nolasco, and Hellickson as our 1/2/3 next year, you are going to be dissapointed.

Can't please everyone I guess
    We are Twins fans....only in 87 and 91 ,we wernt disappointed =)

Liked 222 Times in 97 Posts
    Now get Garza. He is the only starter (aside from Tanaka) that I wanted out of this FA class, but I'm pleasantly surprised that Ryan did something through FA to improve our team. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

Liked 222 Times in 97 Posts
    I do like that baseball reference's similar pitchers include: Rick Reed, Joe Blanton, Joe Saunders, and Gil Meche.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 672 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    I do like that baseball reference's similar pitchers include: Rick Reed, Joe Blanton, Joe Saunders, and Gil Meche.
    If the budget or something else was a factor, there would be plenty of reasons to be down about this move. But frankly, we should all just throw those concerns out the window and be thrilled that the team's mentality it changing. They're actually using the resources at their disposal. They're doing more than sitting on their hands. They're using an avenue that is pretty much unprecedented.

They could have given him 7 years and 150M and I'd still be praising it. It's so refreshing to see them climbing out of their self-imposed box. Keep it up!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    A positive move! Dealing with the top priority of starting pitching first--and not being distracted by other positions--excellent. I am pleased, but my bar for being thrilled is much higher--and unrealistic. This is a start​, but only a start, this process must continue.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdosen View Post
    He's had a low HR/FB rate the past 3 years, and I think pitching in Target Field will only help sustain that. One thing that somewhat alarms me is that he is always seeming to underperform his FIP and xFIP, as Seth stated earlier, but his ERA seems to be getting closer and closer to those numbers in recent years, so it may just be regression.
    I suspect that if the Twins sign a pitcher with a history of ERAs that "overperform" their FIP/xFIP, some would claim that guy isn't as good as his ERA would indicate. If someone wanted to give the Twins some credit, they might think that Jack Goin may have had some influence with TR in this case.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I bet its 5/70 with a buyout on the 5th year essentially making it a 4/56 deal. Hopefully the buyout isnt too substantial on the 5th year.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    Not sure why the money matters, if they have the budget.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 72 Times in 49 Posts
    This deal makes sense for the Twins he was one of top pitchers available so we can breath easier now. I doubt that the Twins go for Garza as he is likely to start a bidding war and the Twins never get involved in those. My guess is they go for Arroyo or Pelfrey maybe Kazmir. At least the Twins can negotiate from a position of strength now because they got one of the decent pitchers so anything beyond this will be icing on the cake and they don't have to be desperate. I hope they continue to surprise me.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4 years, 48 mil, 1 mil buyout in 2018 with some sort of vesting option. Very reasonable.
    Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Member Rookie
    Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sorry, but I find this unrealistic and very shortsighted. There are few good options available for one year contracts at this time-especially in positions of need (which I'll go ahead and define in this post as SP and SS-whereas C and 2B are unsettled and could use upgrades, and COF has questions beyond 2014). I'll go ahead and say that if you're looking for "superior to Nolasco", there are no players available on 1 year deals for 2014.

Which means that any signing will limit flexibility in signings for future years. Looking at the 2014 offseason (When the Twins have ~17m coming off the books between Correia, Doumit and Willingham, a young and minimum salaried core already in/shortly joining the bigs and the need to sell tickets without the ASG as an incentive), the following players are available (as of now. Any players with options have been redacted):

SP: Claytons Kershaw and Richard, Lester, Shields, Peavy, Scherzer, Bailey, Beckett, Josh Johnson
    SS: Hardy, Asdrubal, Lowrie, HanRam
    3B (if Sano can't cut it?): Sandoval
    OF: Cuddyer, Torii, Aoki, Hammer, Rasmus
    C: Russ Martin

I'm not stating the Twins would, or should, pursue any specific name on that list. I'm not saying that money not spent this year will increase the budget for 2015 and on. I am saying money not committed to 2015+ this year will be available for that purpose next year.

I'd much rather pursue Kershaw at the ridiculous sum he expects, or Bailey/Scherzer/Shields/Lester tier at 115/5 than Garza at the minimum 80/4 I expect him to get. I'd rather see the Twins be aggressive at getting one of the SS candidates and pick up a Peavy/Beckett type in addition than pay Garza that minimum 80/4.

And if you'll tell me that with the Payroll Ceiling and TV Money and absolutely accurate Forbes/Bloomberg numbers, the Twins can afford to sign Garza and one of these guys, I'll preemptively reply that while that's true, not signing Garza would allow for a premium arm and bat next season-when the contention window has clarified and team needs have become more evident.

The Twins made a nice splash with Nolasco (and finally quieted the "it can't happen because it hasn't happened yet" crowd when it comes to TR's spending), but with the number of teams looking for top of the rotation help this offseason and only Garza left fitting that category-I'd prefer not to hamstring the future free agency efforts by paying Garza whatever exorbitant sum he'll require. Even if it means 5 extra losses this season.

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    The Twins are a better team. It is encouraging that they were willing to take on a contract.

If they sign another pitcher, I hope it is a high upside guy. Meyer needs to be up early next year. Gibson needs to be in the rotation. If we are going to close the door to out of options guys like Worley or Diamond getting a longer look, it must be for a high upside guy. Not a Pelfrey or Arroyo.
    This is exactly why I think the a team should never ignore FA or punt seasons. If Nalasco pitches similar to what he did last year, the Twins are a better team. Add another good FA pitcher and some things go right (like Meyer is up and Gibson pitches better), you suddenly are a very competitive team still with plenty of money to spend.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast