Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Minnesota Twins Agree To Deal With Ricky Nolasco

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    Definitely a good move. It won't be hard for him to earn the contract if he mostly stays healthy.

One pitcher certainly doesn't fix an entire rotation, of course (not that getting all the way there is even possible in one off-season). Hopefully we will see another couple moves, in free agency or via trade, to field a rotation potentially close to average.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    I will refrain from commenting.
    But we are dying to know how you feel about this?

I am curious, what type of stats would Nolasco need to put up to be considered a fair contract with the terms being now known?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Cripes! Vargas for $48 or Nolasco for $52? No brainer.

On another note, there is little greater irony than the difference between the comments on the two main TD headline stories right now. On the one hand you have folks parsing TR's words as to whether he'd sign a free agent and sacrifice a second round pick--implying that he wouldn't. On the other hand accolades for spending some money. I'm sure comments to the effect Nolasco is overpaid will soon ensue.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor0333 View Post
    But we are dying to know how you feel about this?

I am curious, what type of stats would Nolasco need to put up to be considered a fair contract with the terms being now known?
    According to Fangraphs, Nolasco has been worth $49.8 million. He was worth $15.2 mil last season. Their numbers aren't perfect, but it's a point of reference.
    Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Liked 399 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am very happy. A great step in the right direction, even if Nolasco isn't the "true number one" type.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 332 Times in 210 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swanson View Post
    According to Fangraphs, Nolasco has been worth $49.8 million. He was worth $15.2 mil last season. Their numbers aren't perfect, but it's a point of reference.
    Of course, Fangraphs value is based on FIP rather than actual runs allowed, and Nolasco has been a fairly spectacular FIPS underperformer. Fangraphs also thought Mike Pelfrey was worth $10.7 mil last year in only 152 IP.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 332 Times in 210 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Han Joelo View Post
    Cripes! Vargas for $48 or Nolasco for $52? No brainer.
    Vargas got $32 mil. 4 years, $8 mil per.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10.8 WAR in 8 seasons. I am not sure $12 million a year is warranted. It would be good to be wrong.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    10.8 WAR in 8 seasons. I am not sure $12 million a year is warranted. It would be good to be wrong.
    That's the nature of the beast. When you're a price-taker on the free agent market for pitchers like the Twins, you're going to have to overpay some.

I'm not in love with Nolasco but in more than one way this is a step in the right direction.

10. This user likes Boom Boom's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

EephusKnuckler (11-27-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm a big WAR guy, but I still feel WAR doesn't fully appreciate innings pitched. The strange thing is that a pitcher who pitches 200 innings greatly decreases the amount of innings pitched by (typically) below-replacement level sixth and seventh starters.
    Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Maybe, hopefully, Nolasco will permit the Twins to reduce the bullpen to seven pitchers and add a (much needed) position player to the Active Roster.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark's Lounge View Post
    Wow! I am surprised to say the least.

Besides the game threads, this is the most positive thread in the History of Twins Daily.

I definitely could get use to this.
    Just goes to show you if they do positive things , fans respond positivly...
    I for 1 am happy , and surprised at the amount Terry got him for , was a good deal, Now if thats just a start and we get another better starter(a few more clicks on the FB)then this will be a very credible off season

OK, the Twins signed Ricky Nolasco. I think it's a very good signing, but I have a question. The Twins had 39 players on their 40-player roster. With just a few days until the Rule 5 draft, will the Twins drop someone from the roster to draft someone, or will they wait until after Nolasco passes a physical exam? Either way, I figure the team will soon have to drop one or more from the roster. Who will that be?

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,305 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Like.

16. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (11-28-2013)

Am I the only jerk on here who feels that this move has made us World Series contenders? Am I wrong for feeling that way? Should I feel guilty and ashamed?

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ecstatic!

And not just because the dam is breaking and we have something positive to talk about instead of pure conjecture. Lol

1: Our rotation is instantly better and deeper, giving us a better, more competitive chance to win nightly/daily. As a side note, it instantly makes one of the best bullpens in MLB better as well, not having to work as hard.

2: Not a huge modern day stat guy here. I get lost sometimes in WAR and Fip and how it all translates. But to naysayers out there, Nolascos overall stats are not only good, but quite good. Especially when you look at the fact he's played on some pretty lousy teams. He's only 31, in what could and should b his prime years based on stuff, durability, and a sense of what it takes to actually pitch and not throw. And his overall numbers the past 3 seasons show actual improvement.

3: This also is proof that the Twins are not simply paying lip-service to spending and improving. And don't think for a second that other targeted FA's and their agents aren't paying attention. ( along with having one of the best farm systems around with truly great talent on the cusp of arrival and a terrific ballpark)

NOW, we can't stop! And I don't think we will. Based on cuts from last year, and the new surplus of income that all teams will enjoy, there is still plenty of money left over to spend without taking the Twins out of any comfort zone.

We follow this up with Garza, Kazmir, Hughes or even the older Arroyo, (not my favorite just due to longevity) and a vet C like Salt or AJ and I feel soooo good.

Even a healthy Capuano is not a terrible choice IMO.

One more of these FA pitchers and a C, possibly a decent INF option who can hit LH, and this offseason is a huge success. Based on different projections I have read, and my own calculations, the Twins have anywhere from $23-25M saved, plus another $13M from the new TV deal money to spend, or roughly $36-38M total spend without actually "raising payroll" out of pocke, so to speak. We still have another $24-26M available.

More than enough for another of the SP I have listed and we have been linked to, plus Salt or AJ. And with the idea of improving "the product" that is our Twins, JP and TR might be inclined to go a little over that for a Pelfrey or Santana to potentially improve even more.

And lest we forget, another $16-17M comes off the books next year for more financial flexibility and improvement. Plus great talent flowing up and in.

One final point, I would be very happy to make one of the mentioned trades for a talented young SP vs another quality FA P signing, but am mostly against it at this point. I would rather invest in another of the mentioned FA SP, and hoarde all our available talent for this year, and possibly revisit trades next off season.

19. These 3 users like DocBauer's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

benchwarmerjim (11-27-2013), Tibs (11-28-2013), zchrz (11-28-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Dougie has a quote from Garza that he isn't concerned that he lost a suitor as he states the Twns still have money to spend.

Also I am glad that for once we are pillaging talent from other organizations via free agency instead of being other teams farm teams.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 392 Times in 206 Posts
    Very odd that you suddenly come around to WAR all of sudden, when less than 24 hours ago you were completely ignoring it in regards to Pelfrey who you called terrible and "Hendriks could put up equal numbers" even though Pelfrey put up 9.2 WAR over his last 5 full seasons. (including last year)

Additionally you were telling us all how Doumit could be expected to outproduce Salty overall at catcher, when a quick glance at WAR shows us that in the last year Salty beat Doumit in WAR 3.6 to 0.1, in the last two years: 4.5 to 1.5 and in the last 3 years: 7.1 to 3.4

I'm not saying WAR is the end all be all stat (never have) but its a little odd you suddenly only respond to this signing, by using WAR as your only rebuttal, when you have done nothing but dismissed it time and time again very recently when it conveniently didn't fit your narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by lee_the_twins_fan View Post
    OK, the Twins signed Ricky Nolasco. I think it's a very good signing, but I have a question. The Twins had 39 players on their 40-player roster. With just a few days until the Rule 5 draft, will the Twins drop someone from the roster to draft someone, or will they wait until after Nolasco passes a physical exam? Either way, I figure the team will soon have to drop one or more from the roster. Who will that be?
    There are about 5 candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by twinsfaninsaudi View Post
    Am I the only jerk on here who feels that this move has made us World Series contenders? Am I wrong for feeling that way? Should I feel guilty and ashamed?
    I mean, if all things break right (counting on Arcia, Pinto, Sano, Meyer and Gibson to come on like gangbusters) I could see it. However, I think it gets us one step closer to respectability, sign another nice top of rotation pitcher and a bat....then I think we are suddenly a dark-horse in 2014.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast